5yo large tonsils, noisy breathing and poor behavior | Bub Hub
+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default 5yo large tonsils, noisy breathing and poor behavior

Hi all.
    My just turned 5yo has in the last month or so become increasingly unhappy...wakes up complaining he's tired, very poor behaviour, irritable, huge tantrums and poor attention span. This is all pretty new. He is also consistently wetting the bed again, and has generally been dry since about age 3.5. I have recently noticed his breathing is a bit noisy (a quiet stridor) when at rest and his tonsils look enlarged (but never had tonsillitis )
    Anyone's child had something similar? I'm going to take him to GP of course, but wondering what the outcome was for your child. .

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My son was very similar. He was a noisy sleeper, slept with his mouth open, was very tired during the day and would have tantrums because of it. He ended up having his tonsils and adenoids removed and he improved markedly. He was just 4 when they were removed.

Hope this helps.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by UmmInayah View Post
    My son was very similar. He was a noisy sleeper, slept with his mouth open, was very tired during the day and would have tantrums because of it. He ended up having his tonsils and adenoids removed and he improved markedly. He was just 4 when they were removed.

Hope this helps.
    Thanks. Had he had recurrent infections or just enlarged tonsils? This is fairly new for him...I'm trying to find an answer to his change in behaviour...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Is he mouth breathing? Snoring? Can be signs of adenoid problems and sleep apnea. Would fit with the tiredness and irritability. We recently had our DD checked for this as she had very loud mouth breathing for a while but she is ok now. She's only 13 months though. Paed said snoring is the main worrying sign.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaybaby View Post
    Thanks. Had he had recurrent infections or just enlarged tonsils? This is fairly new for him...I'm trying to find an answer to his change in behaviour...
    He had one bout of tonsillitis which may have been viral as my husband had it as well. His snoring was a lot worse at that time. So, no recurrent infections. My gp kept mentioning how large his tonsils were and recommended we see an ENT about it. I'm glad we did it. He has his moments like a normal 4 year old but I can tell he isn't tired and he is so quiet when he sleeps I sometimes stroke his head just to make him stir!

It's an Idea to sleep in his room if you can. Thst way you can judge for yourself how he sleeps. My son used to snore and toss and turn a lot. He still occasionally wets the bed but generally that's when he's slept later than usual and hasn't been to the toilet before bed.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DS had his tonsils & adenoids removed in feb just before he turned 3.
    He had what the ENT called ginormous tonsils.lol
    He snored like a steam train, was always tired & irritable plus barely ate anything so despite being very tall was also very underweight.

Once he recovered from the op his snoring was gone, his sleep improved & he woke up happy!
    Plus he has put on 6kg in 6mths which was much needed.