+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I work 3 days, have 3 children. 2 are school aged.

I don't work Thursdays and Fridays and I am currently at the park with my toddler and dog. I put a load of washing on before I left this morning to drop my 2 older kids at school. We are just about to head home. I'll give my toddler a sandwich and some fruit and put the tv on whilst I hang out the washing. It doesn't have to be left to the weekend.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    I would just fence the front yard and put some storage cupboards or cubes against the windows. Don't overthink things.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    I work 3 days, have 3 children. 2 are school aged.

I don't work Thursdays and Fridays and I am currently at the park with my toddler and dog. I put a load of washing on before I left this morning to drop my 2 older kids at school. We are just about to head home. I'll give my toddler a sandwich and some fruit and put the tv on whilst I hang out the washing. It doesn't have to be left to the weekend.
    No but it could be is what I'm thinking. Now I tend to prioritise house stuff - not in an everything is spotless way more we all have clean clothes and healthy(ish) food. Ms2 only naps in car or boob. We get out most mornings but after nap I'm rushing to sort laundry, get things organised for after school snacks / activities / helping with homework / random other house stuff that always crops up so I end up feeling stressed and arvos are often spent watching tv. I could leave things like towels / sheets etc and cleaning to the weekend

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    I would just fence the front yard and put some storage cupboards or cubes against the windows. Don't overthink things.
    Thanks for the suggestion but we can't fence the yard I've thought about it but there's steps to a deck and patio area between garden and house so if I did fence the yard it'd be more like making a playpen for her on the grassy part. She couldn't access herself from the house. I could just about see her from the kitchen but dp would go bonkers if I did that. I'm going to put a proper stair gate at the end of the deck and put some safe furniture out there and otherwise just get out more and play with her

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    2 is a difficult age in relation to entertaining them outside. They're very mobile but need constant supervision, which is not always possible. When DS was two I lived in an apartment in town, which only had a paved courtyard. Thankfully DS was the type of kid who was happy to play inside. I took him to a playground most days on the way to the supermarket etc (walked everywhere there).

By the time DD was two I had met DP and we had a backyard. It was a very secure yard so it was pretty easy to let her play without having to watch her.

We now live on a farm with 85 acres, and about an acre surrounding the actual house. It's perfect now that the kids are 4, 9, 9, 13 and 15. However if I had a toddler out here I would only be able to let them play outside while I was out there as there's no fenced in yard as such. For us, having space outside for the four boys and DD is imperative. Having said that, my DS is still a bit of a home-body. He can easily entertain himself inside all day (he's 9).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Default How important is a backyard?

Quote Originally Posted by Freyamum View Post
    No but it could be is what I'm thinking. Now I tend to prioritise house stuff - not in an everything is spotless way more we all have clean clothes and healthy(ish) food. Ms2 only naps in car or boob. We get out most mornings but after nap I'm rushing to sort laundry, get things organised for after school snacks / activities / helping with homework / random other house stuff that always crops up so I end up feeling stressed and arvos are often spent watching tv. I could leave things like towels / sheets etc and cleaning to the weekend
    My kids always have clean clothes.

I work. My kids between them have swimming lessons, footy (plus training 2 nights a week) 3 dance lessons, girl guides and just about to start oztag and hapkido because footy finishes tomorrow. I do it all by myself because my husband works 12-14 hour days.

Sometimes we just have to realise that we can't have everything and do everything. Compromise. Tuesdays is the late night in our house. So it's scrambled eggs or beans on toast or jaffles or leftovers. Thursdays is late as well so I usually prepare a slow cooker. You can even chuck everything into the slow cooker the night before and leave it in the fridge overnight before turning on in the morning. Sometimes we have chicken nuggets with sliced carrot, cucumber, tomato, celery and beans on the side. Nuggets not great but veges are good.

The kids can just grab a piece of fruit in the afternoon after school. No preparation required.

If you feel that you can't do anything because of your toddler's sleep then I would make that my priority. Boob then bed for nap. No exceptions.
    Last edited by BigRedV; 12-08-2016 at 12:50.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    My kids always have clean clothes.

I work. My kids between them have swimming lessons, footy (plus training 2 nights a week) 3 dance lessons, girl guides and just about to start oztag and hapkido because footy finishes tomorrow. I do it all by myself because my husband works 12-14 hour days.

Sometimes we just have to realise that we can't have everything and do everything. Compromise. Tuesdays is the late night in our house. So it's scrambled eggs or beans on toast or jaffles or leftovers. Thursdays is late as well so I usually prepare a slow cooker. You can even chuck everything into the slow cooker the night before and leave it in the fridge overnight before turning on in the morning. Sometimes we have chicken nuggets with sliced carrot, cucumber, tomato, celery and beans on the side. Nuggets not great but veges are good.

The kids can just grab a piece of fruit in the afternoon after school. No preparation required.

If you feel that you can't do anything because of your toddler's sleep then I would make that my priority. Boob then bed for nap. No exceptions.
    Ha ha I did that today. It took an hour to get her to come into the bed to sleep and only because I got bored and decided to lie in her bed. She's 2 I can't force her to lie down. So we both had a nap... I thought she was giving up her naps so not sure I see spending weeks on this trying to force into bed would work. If inlaws weren't here I would've had to wake her up to get kids from school. It is what it is. She's a happy confident independent girl in all areas but sleep!