+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default How important is a backyard?

I'm having a hard time at home with 3 kids and no outdoor space for ms2 to play without constant supervision. I've tried so hard to figure out a way to organise things or find suitable play equipment but it's not working and I'm just wasting so much time. I'll have to give up and just play inside and take her out to playgrounds and parks more often which kinda defeats the purpose of buying a stupid effing house. Sorry PMT rant!!!

So just throwing it out there? How important is outdoor space for kids??

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

For me a backyard is imperative, but I still take my toddler to the park/playground everyday that I'm not working. Just because we've got backyard, doesn't mean I expect that it will entertain my children every day.

I have said to you before that taking a toddler out in the morning after school drop off for even half an hour wears them out and then they are happy to come home and watch tv or something.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

BabyG4  (11-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Freyamum View Post
    I'm having a hard time at home with 3 kids and no outdoor space for ms2 to play without constant supervision. I've tried so hard to figure out a way to organise things or find suitable play equipment but it's not working and I'm just wasting so much time. I'll have to give up and just play inside and take her out to playgrounds and parks more often which kinda defeats the purpose of buying a stupid effing house. Sorry PMT rant!!!

So just throwing it out there? How important is outdoor space for kids??
    We've done both, first child no backyard so we just went for lots of walks and playground trips... it was actually a really good excuse to leave the house and get some exercise/fresh air.

Then we moved and we have a great enclosed backyard which I love because I don't have to stress about the kids as much, but I find I use it as an excuse to not go to the playground as much which is bad, because they love it.
    Having said that, there's only a few months where it's utilised properly. At the moment it's too wet/cold and in summer it's just too hot to be out for that long.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think it is very child dependent. My oldest 2 kids plated for hours in my big yard...they played together and loved it. My youngest is now 5 and rarely plays outside as he has noone to play with (older 2 at school ) and refuses to play out there on his own, despite having a trampoline, cubby, sandpit etc. He has never played out there. Drives me mental. So only time he plays outside in the day is when I'm hanging washing or sitting out there watching him (which defeats the purpose I think...). I now wish I had a much smaller yard as I gave to maintain it....

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Kaybaby For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Sunshine  (11-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week

We barely use ours! I think as long as the kids get some outside time on days that aren't too wet and cold, it doesn't really matter whether they play in the yard or the playground.

Is your front yard secure or can you get retaining walls and fences so they can safely play out there?

I guess the thing is, it sounds like you're stuck in a house with what you deem to be an unsafe yard, so you need to either make it safer and useable or take your DD to the playground more often, or allow her to play inside mostly.

Is your concern she's not using up enough energy and not getting fresh air and developing her gross motor skills enough, so you want to know which if the following options are best - take her to the park more? Fix the garden? or move?
    Last edited by A-Squared; 11-08-2016 at 16:35.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by A-Squared View Post
    We barely use ours! I think as long as the kids get some outside time on days that aren't too wet and cold, it doesn't really matter whether they play in the yard or the playground.

Is your front yard secure or can you get retaining walls and fences so they can safely play out there?
    Definitely not the front, but I can probably secure the deck. It's just that its very high so I have to be so careful not to have any furniture she could push to edge and climb over. She's so into climbing. She scooters and we do bubbles and play ball but I really want a cubby for her and can't find one that's narrow enough that she couldn't jump over balustrade and also would have to find a way of attaching to wall or deck so she couldn't push it

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Freyamum View Post
    Definitely not the front, but I can probably secure the deck. It's just that its very high so I have to be so careful not to have any furniture she could push to edge and climb over. She's so into climbing. She scooters and we do bubbles and play ball but I really want a cubby for her and can't find one that's narrow enough that she couldn't jump over balustrade and also would have to find a way of attaching to wall or deck so she couldn't push it
    Can you enclose your deck? We have friends who live in the bush and wanted to have a secure area where the kids could play without being able to venture too far! So they got those cool clear blind type things so they can close it all up. Also works great for winter because it's nice and warm so you can still be outside

Thanks
    Reviews
    Backyard was/is super important to us. My kids spend nearly 3-4 hours there a day during the week after school and probably closer to 8 or 9 on the weekend.
    We wouldn't be without one. Our kids also go to communal areas, playgrounds etc to play with other kids but they love being in the backyard.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Ahalfdozen For This Useful Post:

Freyamum  (11-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    For me a backyard is imperative, but I still take my toddler to the park/playground everyday that I'm not working. Just because we've got backyard, doesn't mean I expect that it will entertain my children every day.

I have said to you before that taking a toddler out in the morning after school drop off for even half an hour wears them out and then they are happy to come home and watch tv or something.
    Thanks we do get out most mornings. Inlaws are staying so I've been trying to spend a bit of time planning our outdoors. She would watch tv all day if she could but I don't want that.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    with school and all his activities DS doesn't spend as much time in the yard as he used too except when friends come over they spend all day outside which is why I think a yard is important , it's also great when we entertain as the kids have tons to do ( pool, cubby, tramp)