+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Sex during IVF

Hi ladies,

So my acupuncturist has recommended that DF and I have lots of sex during our cycle. Her thoughts are that since sex is a natural part of conceiving it is important not to stop as it kind of prepares the body for conception. She also recommends that we have unprotected sex on the morning of the transfer as apparently there's something in the sperm that helps create a better environment for the embryo.

What are your thoughts on this?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Is dh doing a fresh sample on day of your egg collection? If so, my dh was told to abstain for a day or 2 before that collection. So follow what your clinic says for that one. But doing it on the morning of transfer I can't see an issue because the more sperm the better but I would still be running it by your clinic. They would know best and follow what they say. Good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Also to add we didn't have sex after egg collection to transfer (5 days) and still got a bfp..

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Sex during IVF

That's a good idea if you want 5 babies ha. If all the eggs aren't collected there may be some that ovulate naturally and you are at risk of a multiple birth if you have sex. Surely your clinic has told you this? It's all over the leaflets we were provided!

You can also damage your ovaries as they will be swollen.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nattie84 For This Useful Post:

babybeeno1  (12-08-2016),gingermillie  (13-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Your DP needs to abstain for 2-5 days to fresh collection on the day. Also with egg collection they don't necessarily collect all the eggs. There is alwAys a chance you could end up with a multiple pregnancies.

It does happen. An ex work colleague had 1 single fresh embryo transferred. Her and DP had s*x after egg collection. They didn't take all the eggs. They conceived naturally aswell. One of the embryos split into identical twin boys and the other stayed a single. They had triplets and all boys to add to the 2 boys they already had

Thanks
    Reviews
    @kim85 yes DF is giving a fresh sample on the day of egg retrieval. We were told he has to abstain from ejaculation for a period of time, but I guess my acupuncturist meant leading up to that time. Btw congrats on your BFP 😊

@nattie84 oh yes I'm well aware of natural conception potentially happening during this time lol. My FS has warned us that it can quite easily happen but he said it is ok to have sex as long as we use condoms. While I wouldn't mind two babies I definitely don't want five at once! My acupuncturist only recommended unprotected sex on the morning of the transfer. I of course had every intention of running this by clinic first! I just wanted to get others opinions/experiences on the subject. 😊

@babybeeno1 that is my fear that not all eggs will be collected and there will be a chance of natural conception at the same time and given the fact I am high risk for another ectopic just makes for a disaster! In saying that I didn't know if this was actually able to happen but now that you told me about your friend's experience it definitely IS possible. Probably best that we don't just to be safe! I will be in contact with my FS though to gather his thoughts on it. I actually intially thought refraining from sex all together would be best until my acupuncturist advised us of the opposite.

Thanks
    Reviews
    @Starr30 it is frustrating isn't it that everyone thinks they know best and most probably your Accupunturist has no idea..

I would have thought unprotected sex on the morning of transfer would mean that there would be sperm in the way of the egg being put in and also affect the progesterone support (assuming you are on crinone?)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Our FS encourages lots of sex for FET cycles including day of transfer. He says the proteins are very good for you pre transfer.

He also suggests sex evening before or day of fresh transfer if you feel well enough. He's also known to suggest that you have sex or use a syringe to get sperm in to catch any eggs you miss at pickup. This is risky due to risk of multiples but he says chances are small.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mummymaybe For This Useful Post:

Heyside  (13-08-2016),nattie84  (13-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Agree with @mummymaybe we are with same fs 😊. I would say the benefits are worth it but its worth the risk x

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Heyside For This Useful Post:

Charlie74  (13-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My ovaries are too swollen and sore to even think about sex ATM