+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    My 4yo DD had a big bald patch behind her ear last year. She was always a hair twirler, but it got worse when she had an ear infection. It then became a habit that took weeks to get past. Every time she grabbed her hair, instead of telling her to stop, I just put a different toy in her hand to keep her occupied and we were able to break the habit by doing that.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to bluehawaii For This Useful Post:

HollyGolightly81  (12-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm not too sure, but I feel I read about this somewhere. Apparently there are teddy bears around with long fur that helps encourage the children to twirl that whilst cuddling the teddy. I'll try and find the source.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to TandR For This Useful Post:

HollyGolightly81  (12-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Thanks for the info I'm lucky I guess, in that I am conscious of when I am doing it. I can stop myself and I know if I feel like doing it I'll do something else like fold the washing or clean etc so my hands are preoccupied! But there are times in stressful situations when it actually feels like a relief to do it. So it's hard. But this situation kn childhood I feel may be different.

The idea of a teddy with long hair is awesome !

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Toddler pulling his hair out

I'm reading along with interest as my 13 month old DD strokes and twirls and pulls her hair when she's breastfeeding or having a bottle of milk and also when she's going to sleep in her cot too. I only noticed a few weeks ago. She also pulls my hair as a comfort thing when she's overwhelmed like she's pulling herself as close as she can get into me she clearly has a thing for hair! I am going to keep a close eye on her twirling and pulling and maybe redirect her. I used to get her to hold my hand instead so I'll try that again.
    Holly I hope you find a mix of things to help your DS
    ETA when I say she pulls my hair she grabs onto my hair on both sides and pulls herself in under my chin if that makes sense, not just hair yanking lol
    Last edited by gingermillie; 12-08-2016 at 21:47.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by gingermillie View Post
    I'm reading along with interest as my 13 month old DD strokes and twirls and pulls her hair when she's breastfeeding or having a bottle of milk and also when she's going to sleep in her cot too. I only noticed a few weeks ago. She also pulls my hair as a comfort thing when she's overwhelmed like she's pulling herself as close as she can get into me she clearly has a thing for hair! I am going to keep a close eye on her twirling and pulling and maybe redirect her. I used to get her to hold my hand instead so I'll try that again.
    Holly I hope you find a mix of things to help your DS
    ETA when I say she pulls my hair she grabs onto my hair on both sides and pulls herself in under my chin if that makes sense, not just hair yanking lol
    Definitely keep an eye on it and try to redirect her, especially if there will be any big changes in her life coming up in the future like starting or changing childcare or if you'll be having a new baby at some point. It never occurred to me to try and redirect him as it just seemed like a rather sweet self-soothing mechanism, never crossed my mind it would turn into a bald spot. . When I hold him when he's tired he strokes and runs his fingers through my hair and I find it so sweet and when you would watch him fall asleep on the monitor you could see him stroking his hair. I was feeling awful about it all as I suffer from anxiety and depression so the idea that maybe he's doing this because he's feeling sad and unsure inside was breaking my heart. I'm feeling a bit better about it all today after reading how common it is for babies and toddlers to play with their hair for self soothing and the pulling is kind of a natural progression and that they do normally stop or there's ways to help them stop. I think I'll try to do less tv when possible, hats, redirect when possible and try the scratch sleeves and maybe one of the toys suggested.

Off to google Teddy with long hair

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Trying to find tactile toys that were recommended on some sites....do not put 'hairy ball' in your Amazon search engine
    ImageUploadedByThe Bub Hub1471011007.557753.jpg

Thanks
    Reviews
    @HollyGolightly81 how is your hairy ball hunt going (sorry couldn't help it)?
    So after a week of watching intently and looking at DDs hair I now think she has been pulling her hair out too. She doesn't have a huge amount of hair but it's getting long and curly at the back and on top she has like a long thick bit right in the middle but both sides are really thin and short and fuzzy and I think this is from her pulling it out I've tried stopping her this week but she gets really agitated and slaps my hand away. She only does it when feeding or falling asleep but she is really twirling and then yanking hard. She's in a long sleeve ergo pouch sleep bag and it has built in mittens but she uses a dummy and I'm worried that if I cover her hands she won't be able to pick her dummy up during the night. She has a soft cloth to hold for comfort and she does hold it but she's pulling her hair too. I'm getting quite stressed and upset about this now, I don't want my darling girl having bald spots. So many people ask if she's a boy anyway because her hair is short (even when she's wearing pink ).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    @HollyGolightly81 how is your hairy ball hunt going (sorry couldn't help it)?
    So after a week of watching intently and looking at DDs hair I now think she has been pulling her hair out too. She doesn't have a huge amount of hair but it's getting long and curly at the back and on top she has like a long thick bit right in the middle but both sides are really thin and short and fuzzy and I think this is from her pulling it out I've tried stopping her this week but she gets really agitated and slaps my hand away. She only does it when feeding or falling asleep but she is really twirling and then yanking hard. She's in a long sleeve ergo pouch sleep bag and it has built in mittens but she uses a dummy and I'm worried that if I cover her hands she won't be able to pick her dummy up during the night. She has a soft cloth to hold for comfort and she does hold it but she's pulling her hair too. I'm getting quite stressed and upset about this now, I don't want my darling girl having bald spots. So many people ask if she's a boy anyway because her hair is short (even when she's wearing pink ).
    Sorry your daughter is doing this. I think it's harder being a girl, because you don't want to have to cut her hair short.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Lil Smurfy View Post
    Sorry your daughter is doing this. I think it's harder being a girl, because you don't want to have to cut her hair short.
    So she's now pulled it out so badly on both sides it's reduced to stubble and starting to look really bad her hair is getting long and curly at the back and she has a thick long strip in the middle on top but this old man receding stubble coming back from both sides of her forehead
    I stop her when she's having a bottle of milk (and sometimes she cracks it because she just wants to pull her hair) but I can't stop her during the night. When my DH is home from interstate I'm going to try turning the mittens over on her wondersuit sleeves at night to try and break the habit. I'm worried that will impact her sleep as she's used to having her hands free and I'm sick so I need my sleep - DH can deal with it as he's had 6 child free weeks now! She doesn't do it at all during the day so hoping the mittens will stop it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    So she's now pulled it out so badly on both sides it's reduced to stubble and starting to look really bad her hair is getting long and curly at the back and she has a thick long strip in the middle on top but this old man receding stubble coming back from both sides of her forehead
    I stop her when she's having a bottle of milk (and sometimes she cracks it because she just wants to pull her hair) but I can't stop her during the night. When my DH is home from interstate I'm going to try turning the mittens over on her wondersuit sleeves at night to try and break the habit. I'm worried that will impact her sleep as she's used to having her hands free and I'm sick so I need my sleep - DH can deal with it as he's had 6 child free weeks now! She doesn't do it at all during the day so hoping the mittens will stop it.
    Oh no . We ended up cutting ds' hair. All of the sudden he looks 5 . He's still twirling/playing with it when he's tired or asleep but can't get enough to pull so hopefully it will start to grow back. I think we may have to always keep it short as the habit doesn't seem to be going anywhere, unless we shave it (no!) or try those scratch sleeves I found.