+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I started pulling my eyebrows out in my sleep last year due to extreme stress and anxiety. It's actually quite embarrassing because I have no control over it, it's painful and it wakes me up when I do it, plus I looked strange with half an eyebrow missing. I have had to resort to putting tape over my eyebrows at night when it flares up.

Have a read of this:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trichotillomania

Wearing mittens to bed or a soft hat to bed may help a bit, but he would probably pull them off in his sleep. In my experience, they would probably need to be taped down somehow (which I personally would not do to a child).

ETA the Wiki article says that in small children the condition is usually self correcting, and they will grow out of it.
    Last edited by SSecret Squirrel; 12-08-2016 at 06:59.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to SSecret Squirrel For This Useful Post:

HollyGolightly81  (12-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Thanks, I'm wondering if it's that because it says people with the condition pull one hair at a time whereas his is happening from constant twirling. And it says that young children grow out of it if it's managed 'conservatively,' what does 'conservatively' mean?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I suffer from trichotillomania. Can I just say the worst thing you can do is draw attention to it. It's stress related but then I think it becomes habitual. By conservatively I think they would mean without rash treatments that give a sense of embarrassment etc?

I haven't read all the other comments but think it would be an idea to clip the hair short and offer something else for comfort. Perhaps something like a knitted shawl or something he can twirl his fingers in?

Once youve broken the habit you can go back to growing his hair again.
    Last edited by SookiLala; 12-08-2016 at 16:40.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SookiLala For This Useful Post:

HollyGolightly81  (12-08-2016),SSecret Squirrel  (12-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default Toddler pulling his hair out

Thanks ladies. I was also thinking that these sleeves may be worth trying when the weather cools down here, or do you think it'd be 'mean' to not allow his hand free to play with something for comfort?

https://www.scratchsleeves.co.uk/use...bies-toddlers/

I think little things to change, when we can, like cutting back on tv and getting rid of his dummy may help as well but right now I'm not ready to deal with getting rid of the dummy (he only has it sleeping in his cot but I'm sure there's a connection with his dummy). But with a newborn right now I'm not up for making getting him to bed more difficult. He's also watching a lot of tv right now while I nurse or try to get the baby to sleep so he's doing it more then since he's relaxed and 'spacing' out. So less tv may help as there'd be less opportunity. I do try my hardest to ignore it and not say anything, sometimes I try to slyly move his hand but don't think that works.

Eta: I think I will take him for a cute next week. It also looks so bad because it's right where his hair parts so it's impossible to flick hair over it to cover it
    Last edited by HollyGolightly81; 12-08-2016 at 18:21.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My daughter does the same thing. She's always patted her head when she falls asleep, but then earlier this year she started pulling it out as she was going to sleep or if she got mad. I had a miscarriage earlier this year. She wasn't aware, but I'm sure the emotion in the house affected her.

Her childcare suggested putting oil in her hair, so it was harder to grip. I was putting baby oil in, which seemed to improve the situation and wasn't too messy. They suggested olive oil or coconut oil. She's a lot better now. Still pulls on it, but not nearly as much as she did

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Lil Smurfy For This Useful Post:

HollyGolightly81  (12-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Lil Smurfy View Post
    My daughter does the same thing. She's always patted her head when she falls asleep, but then earlier this year she started pulling it out as she was going to sleep or if she got mad. I had a miscarriage earlier this year. She wasn't aware, but I'm sure the emotion in the house affected her.

Her childcare suggested putting oil in her hair, so it was harder to grip. I was putting baby oil in, which seemed to improve the situation and wasn't too messy. They suggested olive oil or coconut oil. She's a lot better now. Still pulls on it, but not nearly as much as she did
    Thank you I'll add that to the list of things to try. It definitely was just a sweet self soothing thing he did while he fell asleep, he used to just do a gentle stroking, and I think when his brother arrived it turned into a stress thing as I noticed the thinning spot about 2-3 weeks after DS2 arrived and now it's probably a habit. I'm not sure if he's actually pulling it or if it's just a consequence of the twirling. I have seen his finger get stuck in a twirl and him yank to get it free and he will yank if you draw attention to it. Thankfully he doesn't do it when he's upset/crying/tantruming, it's definitely more a tired/bored thing for him.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

I just re-read that scratch sleeves link I posted (I'd saved it a few weeks ago so had forgotten what it's said) and it has a few good tips and pretty much describes him almost to a T in the comfort/habit part. The tangle toy looks like it may help for when he's watching tv or in the pram, when he's sitting in the pram quietly is also a big time that he does it. I've been trying hats as well and that definitely helps.

Eta: think I'll definitely buy the sleeves and put them on under his sleeping bag to see if they help.
    Last edited by HollyGolightly81; 12-08-2016 at 19:00.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I gave my daughter a fringe because her thin patch was where her hair parts

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Secret Squirrel and umminayah, thanks so much for the proper name, massive help in the Google search results for advice!

Eta: have you heard of this supplement for helping decrease the urge to pull?

http://www.trichotillomania.co.uk/NAC.htm
    Last edited by HollyGolightly81; 12-08-2016 at 19:13.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    @HollyGolightly81 sorry I haven't heard of the supplement. It is something I may look into for myself though as I stopped for a while but it has recently come back with a vengeance.

I did go to the doctor about it. In my case the doctor thought it was a direct result of stresses in my life and the doctor wanted me to address the issues causing my stress (which hasn't really worked because a lot of it out of my control).