+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default Toddler pulling his hair out

I noticed a couple weeks ago that ds1 (2.5 years) had a thin/bald spot in his lovely head of hair. He's always played with his hair when he's tired, he used to just lightly stroke/tug/run his fingers through his hair when he was falling asleep or watching tv but he's now doing it more and more, I think probably since having ds2, and he now twirls it around his finger and sometimes pulls quite hard to get his finger loose and I think the bald/thin spot is getting worse. Does anybody have any tips on a way to stop this habit or do I just have to wait for him to outgrow it? I'll check on him in the middle of the night and he'll be sound asleep doing it and I think that's when the worst of it happened (his finger got stuck in his sleep and he yanked his hair out to get it loose). I've tried socks on hands that I put on once he's asleep but he pulls them off at some point and obviously any attention I draw to it makes him do it more. Yesterday when I tried to casually unwind his finger he did it more and yanked his finger so quite a few hairs came out. He has the most lovely head of shaggy blond hair and it's breaking my heart to see the spot get thinner and thinner as I'm scared its anxiety from the new baby, but he's not showing any other signs of distress, very happy otherwise and loves his new brother. I think I may have to cut his hair super short to try and break the habit but does anybody else have any tips? I feel like it's my fault since our relationship has obviously changed with ds2 arriving and he doesn't have me all to himself anymore.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I would say anxiety.

Dd has anxiety we just booked into psych she pulls nails but is fine in everything else eating playing etc sleeping it's just a havit prior she would lip pick so I have given her dummy back.

Can you cut his hair and see what happens? Maybe try a toy and say play with this dolly hair? Hugs Hun

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Oh holly we seem to have so much in common. My DS started biting his nails after DD was born. It's been a year now and I havent found a way to stop it. It's worst when I try to force him to stop. I have no advice tho I do think that he started due to stress but now the stress is gone but the habit stayed. So yes I think maybe if you cut his hair (and give him something else to do with his hands like a new soft toy) then you might break the habit before it firmly sets in. Good luck. X

4. The Following User Says Thank You to RedCreamingSoda For This Useful Post:

HollyGolightly81  (10-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I would say anxiety.

Dd has anxiety we just booked into psych she pulls nails but is fine in everything else eating playing etc sleeping it's just a havit prior she would lip pick so I have given her dummy back.

Can you cut his hair and see what happens? Maybe try a toy and say play with this dolly hair? Hugs Hun

6. The Following User Says Thank You to monnie24 For This Useful Post:

HollyGolightly81  (10-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default Toddler pulling his hair out

Thanks ladies. He's always played with his hair as he fell asleep or was tired, it hasn't just been since the baby arrived, he plays with my hair if I'm cuddling him as well, so it was more a self soothing type habit he already had that is now gradually getting worse. I was hoping maybe the actual pulling was just a phase/novelty and that they grow out of it or get bored with it? I have tried to point out other things that are soft to rub (the silk on his blanket, his bunny, etc) but once he's tired and falling asleep his hand just automatically goes there. If I check on him in the night and he's doing it I roll him over so he's lying on that hand. I'll try to find a doll with nice hair...if that exists . I was thinking of trying scratch sleeves, sleeves that cover the hands to stop scratching, but it's too hot here right now for him to sleep in them so maybe in a month or two. I really don't want to cut his hair too short, I love his little shag, but I don't know what else would help.

How are you hoping the psych will help monnie?

I worry that maybe he's feeling sad because I'm not cuddling him enough or something.
    Last edited by HollyGolightly81; 10-08-2016 at 23:46.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I don't have any advice apart from what the others have said but I just wanted to say that my ds has the most gorgeous curly hair that we have to cut really short (with the clippers) over summer because it is just far too hot. I was really worried when we first cut it that his curls wouldn't grow back but sure enough they did (and still do). It may just be enough to break the habit and it really doesn't take long for them to grow back. Good luck, I really hope you find something that works.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Happymum2 View Post
    I don't have any advice apart from what the others have said but I just wanted to say that my ds has the most gorgeous curly hair that we have to cut really short (with the clippers) over summer because it is just far too hot. I was really worried when we first cut it that his curls wouldn't grow back but sure enough they did (and still do). It may just be enough to break the habit and it really doesn't take long for them to grow back. Good luck, I really hope you find something that works.
    He actually doesn't have curls, just a big, gorgeous, shaggy mop that always gets comments about how great it is. He did have gorgeous curls up until his first haircut but they haven't really come back . If it gets long enough he gets a few. I just really love boys with shaggy hair. Not sure I can bring myself to go super short with it but I don't know if there's another solution. I hope if we do it it only takes one haircut to break the habit and it's not something we have to do for ages. We shall see I guess. Poor little nugget.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to HollyGolightly81 For This Useful Post:

Happymum2  (12-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Why don't u put it in a pony like Brad pit had at one stage and see how he reacts before u cut it? And the twirling etc...

I'm not sure really. Dd is the same as soon as k take the dummy away she picks her lip until it bleeds it's a soothing thing. So I have given her dummy back and now she picks her nails. I am at wits end. I'm highly strung ATM as ds is very Agro etc hitting biting and I try and remain calm but I am not a calm person when he's mean. I also don't get spend one on one time with her as much as I would like too. I fo sleep with ds and I think she feels left out

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    His hair isn't long enough to pull back, just long enough to twirl or play with. I thought about trying to make a tiny pony where it's thin to try to stop it while he's sleeping but because it'd have to be so small I think he'd easily just pull it out, but may be worth a try

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    This is it currently, we cut it a couple weeks ago because it was too hot for the summer, you can see the thin spot on the top. I really wish we didn't have to go shorter than this ImageUploadedByThe Bub Hub1470924594.231250.jpg