+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Speech Pathology - how many sessions?

3yo DS has been assessed and is starting therapy. The main issue appears to be 'fronting' (k and g being pronounced as t and d), and dropping consonants when speaking sentences. I have a Medicare plan to cover some sessions but need to plan ahead in the budget.

I get this may be a "how long in a piece of string" question, but I'm curious about approx how many sessions he may need. There are no other additional concerns with his development, just these specific issues with his consonants making him hard to understand.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Bumping

3. The Following User Says Thank You to yadot For This Useful Post:

Stretched  (12-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    We are in speech therapy with my 4yo but he is very behind so my situation isn't relevant to yours. But when we were talking about issues like what you mention, his therapist more or less said that a lot of times, they will just grow out of it with a bit of help. It's natural for kids to have some mix ups. Things like saying "wader" or "dot" instead of "water and got" are pretty common. We are a long way off worrying about that though so I have no estimation of time for that sorry

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Ahalfdozen For This Useful Post:

Stretched  (12-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My now 14 year old had difficulty forming some sounds and her speech was very difficult to understand. I took her to a speech pathology group (public speech pathologist) when she was three. I can't remember how long we went for. It *think* it may have been one school term so 10 weeks. I was given strategies to work with her at home and she responded really well and didn't look back.

On the other hand my DD3 has long term issues and was in speech pathology for years. Her issues were more surrounding literacy and significant delays in language development.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to SSecret Squirrel For This Useful Post:

Stretched  (12-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Speech Pathology - how many sessions?

It really depends on your child and on how much time you spend working on the speech stuff at home. For example, my son had a stutter where he would repeat the same word several times before continuing with the sentence. It was frustrating for him and affecting his mood, so we needed to sort it out. It took about 3 months of therapy, with weekly visits, and then dropping down to fortnightly for the following 2 months. It required doing daily exercises with him every single day and keeping a diary of his "bumpy" speech. It was pretty intense.

On the other hand, we are now working on his lisp (he says "th" instead of "sss") and we've had 1 proper session and much less intensive work at home (I've only done some work with him on 2 occasions since we started) and he's already improving massively.

ETA - my son is almost 5.

We started the "smooth talking" stuff early this year. He had been in speech therapy for over a year prior to that to help with communication issues as well, but we didn't do anything about his actual speech until this year.
    Last edited by witherwings; 11-08-2016 at 21:01.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to witherwings For This Useful Post:

Stretched  (12-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm a speechie Honestly, it really depends how receptive your child is to the therapy. Speech issues tend to be a lot easier and quicker to improve than language issues. The main thing I want to stress to you is that the children who make the largest/quickest gains are the ones whose parents are actively engaged in the therapy and assist by working with their child at home a little each day.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Barnaby For This Useful Post:

Stretched  (12-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for the replies. I know it's hard to gauge as no child is the same but you have given me a bit of a rough idea (which helps with forward planning the budget).

He's thankfully at that "eager to please" age which I think will make doing daily practise a lot easier. He gets so frustrated as even I can't understand enough words in his sentences sometimes. I'm sure all of you who have needed speech help understand how heartbreaking it is too. Thanks again.