+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Shingles :(

So I have just been told by the gp that I Have shingles I started to get pain yesterday around my rib cage on one side. No rash etc and I'm not on meds. How long will this last?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Why no meds? Is the GP sure it's shingles? Antivirals like a course of famciclovir have been proven to reduce the chances of permanent nerve damage from shingles. They have to be started within 72 hours of symptoms starting. There are others that can be taken in pregnancy & BF I'm pretty sure. Get back to your GP ASAP!
    I've seen people with permanent nerve damage from shingles and it ain't fun. It's not very common, most people recover completely, but why take the chance when you can take a weeks worth of Antivirals to prevent it?
    As a general rule you will develop a rash with watery blisters. Sometimes it's painful, sometimes not. Take simple analgesics like Panadol & nurofen regularly for the pain. If the rash develops you may need to cover it lightly to stop it sticking to your clothes.
    Rest, drink plenty of fluids & look after yourself like with any other illness.
    The fluid from the rash is contagious (chicken pox) so it might be best to keep it covered if your around other people.
    ETA: the rash usually lasts about a week or 2. Bad for about a week, then starts to gradually heal up.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rosey82 For This Useful Post:

gingermillie  (10-08-2016),Wise Enough  (10-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My mum went to the dr recently with shingles. They said they don't give you meds for it until you get blisters, then you must start them within 72 hours

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lil Smurfy View Post
    My mum went to the dr recently with shingles. They said they don't give you meds for it until you get blisters, then you must start them within 72 hours
    You are right, just checked the PBS website & it says "must be started within 72 hours of the rash starting".

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sorry it was a typo, it was meant to say 'I am NOW on meds' not I am not on meds.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Lil Smurfy View Post
    I don't have a rash and they have given me meds already...

Thanks
    Reviews

How do they know it's shingles without a rash?

I had them once. It wasn't pleasant but I'm fine now.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Wise Enough View Post
    How do they know it's shingles without a rash?

I had them once. It wasn't pleasant but I'm fine now.
    I have no idea. They said they are going by the symptoms I've told them...

I saw a registrar at my GP (I didn't know he was a registrar but knew that he was a new doctor to the practice)

Anyway I said I've been having pain in waves on my side from just below my breast all the way down and around to my back and that it started yesterday while at work. I said it was Kinda like an itchy feeling but sore in the layers of skin at the same time, and that it kept coming in waves and was like sensitive to touch. Painkillers didn't help at all and it kept me awake last night.

I also got bad chest pain during it. But that's since gone away.

So he looked and examined me and said he thinks it's shingles, I've never had chicken pox, I told him that. Then he said he will call in a senior gp to get a 2nd opinion. So she came in and she agreed.

There are two little holes in my skin and my hubby thought it may be a spider bite or something but the doctor said it wasn't and that they were too far apart...

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have had shingles a few times now and it's strange they diagnosed it as shingles without a rash. You can get it without a rash, but it's hard to diagnose and I'm pretty sure you would have had to have chicken pox to get that strain?

If you do blister, try not to touch as someone who hasn't had chickenpox or isn't vaccinated can get chicken pox that way... but not shingles itself... I think?

I feel bad for you It's a horrible virus if you get it hardcore. It can last a few weeks and it can also pop back up when you're run down or your immune system is weak.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm starting to wonder if it's Shingles at all