+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default URGENT HELP work Cancelled my long service leave

Quote Originally Posted by CharlieDE View Post
    So when does your 52 weeks maternity leave start? At the end of your accrued leave? Thanks
    Mine did. So I took 10 weeks A/L. After that ran out on the pay system I was then on Mat leave. 14 weeks paid, then 18 weeks ppl, then went to unpaid. You can't be on annual leave and mat leave at the same time? Like you can't be on sick leave and annual leave, it's one or the other? Sounds dodgy.
    Last edited by Little Miss Sunshine; 10-08-2016 at 08:41.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Little Miss Sunshine For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard  (10-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Miss Sunshine View Post
    Mine did. So I took 10 weeks A/L. After that ran out on the pay system I was then on Mat leave. 14 weeks paid then went to unpaid. You can't be on annual leave and mat leave at the same time? Like you can't be on sick leave and annual leave, it's one or the other? Sounds dodgy.
    Thanks this makes so much sense!

If this is the case then they have made the mistake they should honour my lsl.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to CharlieDE For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Sunshine  (10-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks this makes so much sense!

If this is the case then they have made the mistake they should honour my lsl.
    Just as an aside those ceremonies recognising 10 years of service does not necessarily reflect that you are entitled to long service. I just got recognised for 10 years service but as I've been on mat leave twice now during that period and am not yet entitled to claim LSL.

But yes, from all accounts you should be entitled to it!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Little Miss Sunshine For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard  (10-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Everything that LMS said!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Sorry I had misread, your 22 weeks was paid leave?!?! That's huge!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think it might be a gray area, if I had just taken the leave and not had a baby there would be no question I would be entitled but when you go on maternity leave it is 52 weeks from the first day of leave including annual leave. And when you are on maternity leave everything stops accruing. Well this is what I can work out form online.

But seriously they gave me a presentation lunch and for the last 6 months I have been counting on the leave. I just don't think this is right!
    At my work they said that people were entitled to take 52 weeks off work for 'maternity leave' including AL. I think this was more to ensure that staff weren't absent from work for more than 52 weeks. However, any AL taken during that time should still count towards LSL.

When I log onto my personal details thing at work they have my continuous service from the date I started with them as a casual not permanent, so it definitely does not align with when I'm entitled to LSL.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to babyno1onboard For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Sunshine  (10-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews

I'm in HR and pregnant and checked this myself yesterday. All your leave counts as service 'as long as you are being paid at full pay'. So if for example, you get leave at half pay, your service is counted for only half that period. Service is how long service leave is counted.

The other thing you need to check is if you had any other form of unpaid leave in that10 years. Some companies recognise the anniversary of service, hence why you got the voucher etc but for LSL requirements you might still have a time to go. I've been with my company 4.5 years and will make 5y service in March but I had another baby plus went in unpaid leave for a holiday so my LSL 'service' is less.

Good luck!
    Last edited by WinterJade; 10-08-2016 at 09:06.

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by babyno1onboard View Post
    At my work they said that people were entitled to take 52 weeks off work for 'maternity leave' including AL. I think this was more to ensure that staff weren't absent from work for more than 52 weeks. However, any AL taken during that time should still count towards LSL.
    That's the standard policy across the board. You can have a 12 month block of leave when having a baby, not necessarily 12 months actual mat leave. I am taking 14 months off total and had to seek permission from HR. (You can ask for up to 2 years off but employers are allowed to decline requests over 12 months for business reasons).
    Last edited by Little Miss Sunshine; 10-08-2016 at 09:32.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by WinterJade View Post
    I'm in HR and pregnant and checked this myself yesterday. All your leave counts as service 'as long as you are being paid at full pay'. So if for example, you get leave at half pay, your service is counted for only half that period. Service is how long service leave is counted.

The other thing you need to check is if you had any other form of unpaid leave in that10 years. Some companies recognise the anniversary of service, hence why you got the voucher etc but for LSL requirements you might still have a time to go. I've been with my company 4.5 years and will make 5y service in March but I had another baby plus went in unpaid leave for a holiday so my LSL 'service' is less.

Good luck!
    Thanks it was 22 weeks at full pay and have not taken any leave except annual in the last 10 years. I'm a head chef so taking leave was extremely difficult that's how I was able to build so much leave.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CharlieDE For This Useful Post:

Olive Oil  (10-08-2016),WinterJade  (10-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Fair work is definitely not answering calls today. But with what you guys are saying I think they got it wrong.