+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Toxoplasmosis

Hi ladies!

I've recently read about the dreaded toxoplasmosis and am feeling a little paranoid! I own 3 cats whom are outside during the day and sleep in our garage at night and DF does all litter duties. Nonetheless I'm still anxious about it!

I'm in the middle of my first IVF cycle and have expressed my concerns to my wonderful FS who has suggested I get tested for it to see if I'm immune so I can quit worrying. After doing some reading online about it though I have found out a lot of people get false positives which sometimes leaves uncertainty as to whether the patient had a previous exposure and is immune or whether the infection is active. I addressed this with my FS and he assured me the test is pretty accurate. I just don't want to open a can of worms and whind up stressed out having to do additional testing if the result is uncertain - stress is the last thing I need right now.

So what are your thoughts? Have any of you been tested? Do I need to think about rehoming my beloved cats? ( I really don't want to but my future baby's health is way more important)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hmmm not sure if this is the correct section to have posted in. I apologise if it isn't! I'm new at this 😏

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I have 2 inside cats and have done 4 IVF cycles so far.

When I got my BFP last October (it sadly didn't stick) I mentioned the cats to my FS he said to make sure I didn't go near the litter but otherwise I would be fine.

Myself, I would not re-home my furbabies. Plenty of women who own cats have healthy, uneventful pregnancies.

It's natural to worry about these things but personally I think just be sensible about litter duties and you should be fine

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I have an inside cat and an IVF DD. Once I got my bfp my DH was on kitty litter duties and all was good. I didn't get tested for toxoplasmosis, tbh I didn't even think to. I think you'll be fine and I wouldn't rehome your cats either

Thanks
    Reviews
    If DF does litter duties and the cats aren't prone to toileting anywhere inside the house, I wouldn't worry. I had cats during my pregnancy and just used it as a great opportunity to get DH to do all litter cleaning. On the very rare occasion I did I wore latex gloves and just made sure I washed my hands thoroughly each time. Cats are naturally very clean so I really wouldn't stress about it and I certainly wouldn't rehome them.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Toxoplasmosis in cats is actually really rare, you're more likely to get it from unwashed produce or undercooked meat but for some reason cats cop all the flack. One thing that does make your cats slightly higher risk is that they are outdoor, so could kill/eat a rodent that has it, but as long as your husband cleans the litter or you use gloves and wash your hands if you do you'll be fine. Also stay on top of keeping the litter clean. If your cat has it it actually takes a while for the toxo spores in the poo to become contagious (I think it's 48 hours? Can't remember) so if you clean the poo out shortly after they've gone that will help heaps.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to HollyGolightly81 For This Useful Post:

Starr30  (10-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for the input ladies! 😊
    I probably am being kind of overly paranoid about it but I've had 4 previous losses (ectopic) and just don't want anything else to go wrong this time round.

My DF does all litter cleaning duties and changes the tray everyday if there is poo and every second day if there's just a wee. I love my cats and really don't want to part with them but when you read all these horrible things online it freaks you out! I probably should stay off google. 😬

Other animals don't shed the parasite only cats is that correct? As I also have a house bunny who's litter I change daily.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Starr30 View Post
    Thanks for the input ladies!
    I probably am being kind of overly paranoid about it but I've had 4 previous losses (ectopic) and just don't want anything else to go wrong this time round.

My DF does all litter cleaning duties and changes the tray everyday if there is poo and every second day if there's just a wee. I love my cats and really don't want to part with them but when you read all these horrible things online it freaks you out! I probably should stay off google.

Other animals don't shed the parasite only cats is that correct? As I also have a house bunny who's litter I change daily.
    We lost a baby at 20 weeks and I got it in my head that she died because I cleaned the litter box. Speaking to a vet about it all in the beginning before we got her autopsy results back (not due to infection or virus) really helped ease my mind. I'm not sure about other animals shedding it, they can carry it as that's how cats catch it (eating something that was infected) but unsure how it all works. Maybe call your vet with all of your questions but I'm very confident your pets and you will be fine.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    There is actually a vet on here but I forget who it is, is it @amyd ?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Please don't worry Starr30, I am a vet nurse and have been for 9 years and I have handled ALOT of disgusting things including a cat which thought actively had Toxo and I just got test (i'm 9 weeks) and I tested negative so the chances of you contracting it is actually Very Low.. If i haven't been exposed to it then you would be at very low risk. Please don't rehome your cats as you said just get hubby to do the cleaning, but otherwise you are perfectly fine. My cat still sleeps in/ on our bed my lap all the time and I am not worried at all, unfortunately I have to be a bit more careful at work as I can still contract it at work. but thats just me.. best of luck with your IVF cycle. It took us 4 cycles of Fertility treatment to get this little bean so I know how you feel.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to twentysomething For This Useful Post:

HollyGolightly81  (09-08-2016),Starr30  (10-08-2016)