+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Bumbo Floor Seat

i was given one of these as a gift and have just started using it, my 4mth old DS absolutely loves it, I couldn't see on the instruction leaflet the maximum time DS can be in the seat, it just says not prolonged. I was told by one person 5 mins another 15. I understand common sense prevails with all things but I was wanting an opinion from anyone who knows a little more about it. You see DS is going through a I WILL NOT lay down without a carry on, I want to be sitting on your lap or carried around the house, is the Bumbo any different from him constantly sitting up on my lap, he gets sick of his bouncer very quickly these days, so the Bumbo is a nice reprieve from having to hold him on my knee all day long. Obviously I am not leaving him alone in the Bumbo, I am always either laying or sitting on the floor with him reading or playing etc. thanks in advance

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Bumbo Floor Seat

I kept both of mine in for as long as they were happy in it

Eta: Both of mine were "sitters" and preferred to sit than lay on the floor at that age. As long as your bubs has ok head control and not "slumping" and is happy there it shouldn't be a problem. They will let you know when they've had enough or uncomfortable

Another thing I found invaluable was a v shaped pillow. I sit them on the lounge and use that for support. And when they could sit upright I used on the floor for support. Means you can have your hands free for a bit.
    Last edited by Little Miss Sunshine; 09-08-2016 at 07:00.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Little Miss Sunshine For This Useful Post:

Tdez  (09-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had a MCHN say to me no longer than 15 minutes and she also said that physios don't like them due to the risk of spine curvature. But if your lo can hold their head up and sits up well, I couldn't see an issue imo.
    I guess like everything take what you want from the mountains of 'advice' you receive.

I don't think DD (4 mths) lasts 15 minutes in hers! Her head is in the 90th percentile... She's a boof head so she's like a bobble head after a while and cracks it and wants out...

5. The Following User Says Thank You to clb84 For This Useful Post:

Tdez  (09-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks ladies, he has never had the chance to crack it in the seat so I don't know what his limit is, I feel like I'm wishing him out of it before he has had a chance to really enjoy it. He has great neck control, no idea what %ile he is but he is a neat little package.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Here's a couple of links, 1 is to a great article about why health professionals don't like them (actually stopped me buying one) and the other suggests some alternative options.
    I take my DD to gymbaroo (she's 13 months and we've been going for 6 months) and I know they are heavily against anything that puts babies in unnatural positions or gets them doing things they aren't developmentally ready for (things like walkers, bumbos etc).
    If you are going to use it then I would probably limit use to 5 minutes only 1-2 times a day. I think one of the concerns is that these things do keep them occupied and happy so the 5 minutes can turn into 20 really easily as you race around trying to get some things done!
    And whatever you do don't be tempted to put it up on the bench or table. I know someone who did this and bub tipped it and they fell from the kitchen bench to floor and got concussed
    http://mamaot.com/beware-the-baby-bumbo-seat/
    http://mamaot.com/better-than-a-bumb...wobbly-sitter/

8. The Following User Says Thank You to gingermillie For This Useful Post:

Tdez  (09-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Miss Sunshine View Post
    Another thing I found invaluable was a v shaped pillow. I sit them on the lounge and use that for support. And when they could sit upright I used on the floor for support. Means you can have your hands free for a bit.
    Good tip!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Tdez For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Sunshine  (09-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for the links I'll have a read of them tonight. He is never left in the Bumbo while I do stuff, I'm too paranoid about the tipping (shudder at those YouTube clips of dads putting them on remote control cars), we have a bouncer that gets dragged around the house when it's time to get some work done.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm not interested in getting into a debate but I think one must take all these "recommendations" and advice with a grain of salt.
    If they really are that bad why are they for sale and why are they so popular? I understand a small number may be predisposed to a negative outcome but some common sense is needed. Countless mums I know and I have used them with no issues, it's been a lifesaver here, especially as both girls hated the high chair so I was able to feed them in the bumbo. They aren't contorted or spending super long periods in there.
    They also recommend no screen time at all for children under 2. How many actually follow this?
    Also babies under 12 months should share the same room with their parents to reduce sids risk. My kids and countless others are fine. There are so many "recommendations" out there and you would go insane and make your life miserable and so much harder for yourself if you try to follow them all.
    Use your mummy instincts and common sense. If it gives you a break, your bubs is happy and you're not misuing anything then I don't think anything bad will come of it.
    Last edited by Little Miss Sunshine; 09-08-2016 at 11:45.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Little Miss Sunshine For This Useful Post:

Tdez  (09-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Bumbo Floor Seat

And at risk of being "flamed" I refused to put the new harness in the bumbos (I have old second hand ones). And I put dd1 in it up on the kitchen bench next to me whilst I washed up or prepped dinner.
    I never have done that with dd2 because she was a "pusher" with her feet and we now have an island bench.
    So I make my own risk assessments on their own indivdual merits
    Last edited by Little Miss Sunshine; 09-08-2016 at 12:10.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Little Miss Sunshine For This Useful Post:

rosey82  (09-08-2016),Tdez  (09-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Miss Sunshine View Post
    And at risk of being "flamed" I refused to put the new harness in the bumbos (I have old second hand ones). And I put dd1 in it up on the kitchen bench next to me whilst I washed up or prepped dinner.
    I never have done that with dd2 because she was a "pusher" with her feet and we now have an island bench.
    So I make my own risk assessments on their own indivdual merits
    No flaming because I have one with a harness and it is impossible to do up! So I don't. I have a cheaper version as well and prefer it (unharnessed).

I put it on the floor. Sit with DD. She gets 10 mins here and there as she loves sitting.

All in moderation unless there is a medical reason not to.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to twinklify For This Useful Post:

Tdez  (09-08-2016)