+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lil Smurfy View Post
    To me it's not worth the risk. My baby is far more important to me, than giving up certain foods for 9 months.

When I was pregnant with DD, I remember hearing on the news about a lady who lost her baby at 18 weeks, because she ate soft cheese and ended up with listeriosis. Unfortunately it does happen
    Of course it happens. So does having a car accident and losing a baby. So does falling over and a whole range of other things.

My baby is important to me too, obviously. We all make risk assessments every day, driving to work with the risk of crashing my car doesn't mean I love my baby less, nor does eating a piece of salami.

I know 3 people who were hospitalised for food poisoning while pregnant and everything was fine. That doesn't mean I think that sometimes it doesn't turn out fine, those reports no more sway my view than seeing a report of one baby not making it on the TV. I try to make rational risk assessments that are right for me. I don't think it's a case of 'if you eat these foods you care about yourself more than your baby' OR 'if you don't eat these foods you're unjustifiably paranoid'.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to HillDweller For This Useful Post:

MrsTugs  (09-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    The way I see it is that if you don't have to have it then don't. I prefer to be cautious but also use my judgement when I'm basically going to go hungry if I don't eat it. For example, I don't touch cured meats from a deli where it's been lying there for hours. But I will eat a slice or two of cured meat that is pre-packaged and refrigerated IF I'm at someone's house for dinner or whatever and that's all there is to eat. Most things are pasteurised these days, but I always double check. I'll have a bit of mayo from a restaurant very seldomly but if I don't need to have it with my meal then I don't.

Everyone has a different approach but I feel the more you reduce your exposure to foods that are high risk, the less your chance you have of getting sick. Don't worry yourself about it if it's already done and past, you would most likely have some indication of being ill even if it was just mild diahrrea so unless you remember being sick at some point, let it go and don't stress yourself out.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default What listeria foods have u eaten??

Quote Originally Posted by HillDweller View Post
    Of course it happens. So does having a car accident and losing a baby. So does falling over and a whole range of other things.

My baby is important to me too, obviously. We all make risk assessments every day, driving to work with the risk of crashing my car doesn't mean I love my baby less, nor does eating a piece of salami.

I know 3 people who were hospitalised for food poisoning while pregnant and everything was fine. That doesn't mean I think that sometimes it doesn't turn out fine, those reports no more sway my view than seeing a report of one baby not making it on the TV. I try to make rational risk assessments that are right for me. I don't think it's a case of 'if you eat these foods you care about yourself more than your baby' OR 'if you don't eat these foods you're unjustifiably paranoid'.
    The difference is that doctors aren't warning you to avoid traveling in a car when pregnant.

Everyone makes the decision that is right for them. My decision is to avoid things that it is recommended I avoid.

My SIL ate whatever she wanted with all her pregnancies and her kids were fine. My mum ate whatever she wanted when she was pregnant, and we all turned out fine too.
    Last edited by Lil Smurfy; 09-08-2016 at 12:24.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Lil Smurfy View Post
    The difference is that doctors aren't warning you to avoid traveling in a car when pregnant.
    Which is kind of odd isn't it? (Not being at all argumentative, just musing and playing devils advocate like I do ) I mean, I wonder what the stats are for unborn babies killed in car accidents? I'd hazard a guess at more than 1-2 a year. That happened to two people I know in the same year actually

My dr actually said to me "here's a pamphlet on listeria, it's important to know about, but honestly, the paranoia surrounding it really is disproportionate to the risk. People are worrying about eating a piece of sushi then texting while driving home from lunch. We should all be more afraid of driving our cars if you ask me" he knows he can joke around about that sort of stuff with me though.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to HillDweller For This Useful Post:

MrsTugs  (09-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HillDweller View Post
    Which is kind of odd isn't it? (Not being at all argumentative, just musing and playing devils advocate like I do ) I mean, I wonder what the stats are for unborn babies killed in car accidents? I'd hazard a guess at more than 1-2 a year. That happened to two people I know in the same year actually

My dr actually said to me "here's a pamphlet on listeria, it's important to know about, but honestly, the paranoia surrounding it really is disproportionate to the risk. People are worrying about eating a piece of sushi then texting while driving home from lunch. We should all be more afraid of driving our cars if you ask me" he knows he can joke around about that sort of stuff with me though.
    And that is possibly where the differing opinions come in. Your dr said it wasn't that important and you made decisions based on what you were told, whereas my dr said here is a list of all the foods you should avoid and I made decisions based on that.

It is funny how blasé people are about cars versus other risks in life. My dad won't get in a plane because they are dangerous and could crash, yet he has no issues getting in a car.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Lil Smurfy For This Useful Post:

HillDweller  (09-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    It is funny isn't it, kind of like shark attacks - the panic people feel about that, compared to the risk of actually driving to the beach

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HillDweller For This Useful Post:

Lil Smurfy  (09-08-2016),TheCatsMeow  (14-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    @Lil Smurfy I do get your your point, I think it's because we think driving is something we can control and deep down we think 'but that wouldn't happen to me because I'm in control of the car'. Whereas listeria we can only control by avoiding certain foods.

I think they're in a different context of dangers while pregnant but do agree that we should be looking at everything we do while pregnant and assess whether it's in the best interest of our baby

Thanks
    Reviews
    Off track. Sorry. But I think you have more control over contracting listeria than you do of getting into a car accident.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've eaten feta in a salad at mum's place (only salad on offer and I hadn't told anyone yet) and an egg that was cooked sunny side up because I forgot to ask them to cook it all the way through at a cafe. I've also had some dip. Hommus from memory. It was delicious. Oh. And some custard.
    Generally I follow the guidelines, but if I slip up then I try not to worry about it too much. Also, sometimes I feel so unwell that I can't make myself eat. On those days, whatever I can eat is good.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Tiny Dancer For This Useful Post:

kim85  (10-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I did actually eat soft cheese during my second pregnancy, got very ill within 24 hours and that cheese was later recalled for listeria! Went on to have a happy, healthy baby though so maybe it wasn't related, maybe I was just lucky.

I now avoid the biggies like soft cheese and pate and such, but I do enjoy steaks cooked medium rare, soft cooked eggs, home made mayonnaise and all that stuff. It's just a risk assessment for me and I trust the sources for my eggs and meat more than supermarket cheese.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BornToBe For This Useful Post:

kim85  (10-08-2016),WinterJade  (10-08-2016)