+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by me+he&she=three View Post
    Oh holy smokes then that's definitely at the top end of pricing! If you are approved for funding though it's typically covered depending on what the needs are determined to be. But there is that initial hurt. Our 4YO DD has high functioning ASD/Aspergers - essentially just some sensory difficulties and a bit of difficulty with social interactions (not that she's not sociable -quite the opposite - more so about teaching her to carry on interactions/personal space etc) and we've gotten full funding allowing for OT/ST/social therapy which has been really great. We've seen a big change in her since starting her therapies. All the best
    I'm glad to hear your dd has improved That's why I was a bit confused about the huge price tag, just 5 appointments will be costing us around $700 all up, & I kind of thought the mental health care plan was meant to cover the majority of the cost. How did your dd get her funding - is it through NDIS? How was she diagnosed/ who did she see? Sorry for the dumb questions!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Not dumb questions at all it was all new to us all at some point!

We managed to get a spot for her formal diagnostic assessment through the Child Development Unit at our local hospital. We had to wait about 8 months but it can be significantly longer than that (depends on your local wait lists).

We had her doing OT and ST in the meantime, so weren't losing time in terms of early intervention, using private health cover and mental health care plan/and there's some other plan that gives you 5 visits (so 15 all up). We'd already hit the safety net though so we pretty much got 95% or so of the session costs back.

After diagnosis (1 year ago) we were approved for Helping Children with Autism package which is $12,000 to spend before they turn 7. But are now transitioning to NDIS which is an annual assessment of needs and funding to support your annual goals.

With the diagnosis child development services at the hospital got all our historic reports, letters from developmental paeds etc and spoke to her daycare, OT etc to get a background from which they formed their diagnosis. The more info you can give them the better. Particularly if it's subtle things like sensory issues you are working on. When they do their couple of hour assessment, a lot of that may not come through and that may leave you without the diagnosis/funding. To be honest if we had to rely on the assessment on the day only I'm sure we wouldn't have been diagnosed as my DD 'performed' the best she has in a long time on the day - she really clicked with their psychologist and was in fine form on all fronts!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to me+he&she=three For This Useful Post:

cheeeeesecake  (09-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by me+he&she=three View Post
    Not dumb questions at all it was all new to us all at some point!

We managed to get a spot for her formal diagnostic assessment through the Child Development Unit at our local hospital. We had to wait about 8 months but it can be significantly longer than that (depends on your local wait lists).

We had her doing OT and ST in the meantime, so weren't losing time in terms of early intervention, using private health cover and mental health care plan/and there's some other plan that gives you 5 visits (so 15 all up). We'd already hit the safety net though so we pretty much got 95% or so of the session costs back.

After diagnosis (1 year ago) we were approved for Helping Children with Autism package which is $12,000 to spend before they turn 7. But are now transitioning to NDIS which is an annual assessment of needs and funding to support your annual goals.

With the diagnosis child development services at the hospital got all our historic reports, letters from developmental paeds etc and spoke to her daycare, OT etc to get a background from which they formed their diagnosis. The more info you can give them the better. Particularly if it's subtle things like sensory issues you are working on. When they do their couple of hour assessment, a lot of that may not come through and that may leave you without the diagnosis/funding. To be honest if we had to rely on the assessment on the day only I'm sure we wouldn't have been diagnosed as my DD 'performed' the best she has in a long time on the day - she really clicked with their psychologist and was in fine form on all fronts!
    Thanks for all that info. Your dd sounds similar to mine, if there is anything she is able to be diagnosed with, I think she would only JUST manage to slot in there! She was great at the OT appointment because she was feeling comfortable with the OT. The OT assessed a whole heap of physical skills, which isnt where my dd struggles - it's the sensory issues and horrendous meltdowns. Definitely in the area of emotional development, rather than physical development. If she had been uncomfortable with the OT,she would have been laying on the floor screaming and kicking and hitting at me. So it definitely wasnt an accurate picture at all!