+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Vaginal swab post cesarean to boost baby's immune system

I am booked for a c section this Monday. Really excited to meet Bub.

i came across this article where they "inoculated" section babies with a swab... http://www.parents.com/baby/all-abou...a-simple-swab/

has as anyone done this? I feel awkward bringing it up with doc.

ps: I'm strep b negative so no issues there.

pps: I understand they'll give me a dose of antibiotics anyway during the section so will my bugs even be there?
    Last edited by NORgirl; 08-08-2016 at 12:37.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to NORgirl For This Useful Post:

binnielici  (08-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'm 4 wks pp c-sec and read a lot about them but never came across this. Just ask your OB or midwife and don't be afraid to as you can never ask to many questions.

The antibiotics will run through your drip fluids that they'll pump through you mine stayed in for 2 days as I had very low pressure due to excessive blood loss.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    It's called vaginal seeding. It's quite a new thing and somewhat controversial. There's not a lot of research yet but more is being done.

I've discussed with my OB (section booked for 23/8 - but hoping for a VBAC before that). He's happy to support me if I want to do. He'll give me some gauze to use and will wipe bub's face when he is delivered. My ob's view is that it's likely to eventually become a main****** practice as early research has been very positive.

I would discuss it with your OB. Without their support it will be difficult to do as your not supposed to bring anything in theatre with you. That said I have read about women swabbing with sterile gauze putting it into a sealed bag and giving it to their partner. Partner keeps it in their pocket then a discrete swipe over bub's face as soon as possible.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to binnielici For This Useful Post:

NORgirl  (09-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by binnielici View Post
    It's called vaginal seeding. It's quite a new thing and somewhat controversial. There's not a lot of research yet but more is being done.

I've discussed with my OB (section booked for 23/8 - but hoping for a VBAC before that). He's happy to support me if I want to do. He'll give me some gauze to use and will wipe bub's face when he is delivered. My ob's view is that it's likely to eventually become a main****** practice as early research has been very positive.

I would discuss it with your OB. Without their support it will be difficult to do as your not supposed to bring anything in theatre with you. That said I have read about women swabbing with sterile gauze putting it into a sealed bag and giving it to their partner. Partner keeps it in their pocket then a discrete swipe over bub's face as soon as possible.
    Think I'll read up on it during the 2am feed tonight. Funny how you cant take some gauze in with you but cameras and mobile phones we can. We even facetimed my sister O/S during the c-sec so she was present she just wasn't allowed to speak

Thanks
    Reviews
    I tried to bring it up but when I started with "I have read that babies born via c section have a higher risk of allergies" my doc said that is not scientifically proven. Which sort of took the wind out of my sails. DH and I will just do it anyway. Prepare some damp gauze, put it in a ziplock in the hospital bag for the two hours and swipe bubs when we are in the room.

Cant hurt...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    How recently did you speak to your doctor about it? I think you would have had better luck convincing then if you provided them with some actual research you had done. I would assume your doctor hasn't actually read any of the info etc on it to be able to actually have a conversation with you about it which is why you were dismissed pretty quickly.

I just want to put something out there from my professional point of view. I would be careful about doing something like this without telling anyone, whether it be your midwife, Doctor etc. Only because there could possibly be some (not so good) bugs that get transferred on to bub. I know you said you're group b strep negative, but it's worth knowing that group b strep is a transient bug so even though you've tested negative it may actually be present on the day of your C/S. I *think* we have a vaginal seeding policy at work, if I remember (!) I can look it up for you on the weekend so at least you're following the principles as safely as possible if you plan to do it regardless of your doctors opinion. I would hate for you to do it in secret and end up with a very sick bub. I wouldn't rely on the antibiotics they give you in your C/S to protect your baby as it's unlikely they would have crossed through the placenta in time to have an effect on baby before baby is born. The antibiotics used in C/S are more for protecting you against a wound infection from skin bacteria getting in during the op rather than for bubs.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to M'LadyEm For This Useful Post:

babybeeno1  (11-08-2016),bezzy  (11-08-2016),VicPark  (11-08-2016)