Timing for water birth | Page 2 | Bub Hub
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rainbow road View Post
    With DS I was told to hold off as long as possible due to it possibly slowing down labour. I hopped in about 6cm and promptly hopped out, I just wasn't comfy in there. This time I'll be giving it a go again and will hold off if possible as well. I don't need my labour any longer than necessary, haha.
    See I had absolutely no idea that it slows things down! I feel so ripped off by the hospital when I had DS1. The midwife was absolutely rubbish.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 29/5/15Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    So glad I read this! I had no idea it can slow things down! I'm planning on a water birth.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Mamasupial For This Useful Post:

witherwings  (08-08-2016)

hakuna matata is online now The artist formerly know as babyhopeful
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Good luck! I haven't had a non water birth, but for both of mine it was quite a 'serene' experience. Well, you know, as far as birthing goes! It was all very hands off and my body just did its thing.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to hakuna matata For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by witherwings View Post
    Wow that is a fast labour! How long were you in labour before you came to hospital? Did the midwives tell you to get in pretty much as soon as you got there or did they wait for you to be in transition?

Was your daughter's labour much longer? I know she was your first so naturally it would have been longer.. I wonder if the bath in early labour slowed things down...
    I was having irregular contractions throughout the morning and then they ramped up. Probably established labour was just under 3 hours. I was in denial I was in labour.

DD's was definitely longer and while the bath helped with pain it probably slowed it down amongst other things.

Eta -.as soon as I got there my midwife started running the bath which took about 20 mins or so while she checked heartbeat with doppler and I hopped in the shower. Once it was full I hopped in

7. The Following User Says Thank You to smallpotatoes For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'll come back and write more detail later when I have time. For my first labour I was in the pool during my loooonnnng first stage. Labour was difficult and I didn't find the water much help. I got out to go to the toilet and never got back in. Second labour I got in and loved the feeling. Had baby about an hour later and also had an unplanned but quick physiological 3rd stage in the pool as well.

Just on the slowing things down thing..... True established labour will not be slowed. Early labour may be. In my opinion you should get in when you have a strong feeling that you need it. Listen to your instincts and do that. X

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to RedCreamingSoda For This Useful Post:

BettyV  (08-08-2016),cheeeeesecake  (08-08-2016),Mamasupial  (08-08-2016),witherwings  (08-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had one water birth, & one where I laboured in water & got out to push (on dr's instructions). My situation is probably unique in that I have fast labours, so if the water did slow it down a bit, that's probably a good thing! The first labour was 4 hrs, & I spent around 2-3hrs in the water. The 2nd labour (an induction) was 1 hr 15 mins from first contractio to baby out. I hopped in the bath pretty much at the first contraction & got out in the last 5 mins to push. The 3rd labour I wasnt allowed to use water (too high risk) & it was a 30 minute labour. 30 minutes of hell, lol. My hardest labour by far! So in my experience, I'm quite happy if water does slow my labour a bit... but wont work for everyone!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to cheeeeesecake For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RedCreamingSoda View Post
    Just on the slowing things down thing..... True established labour will not be slowed. Early labour may be. In my opinion you should get in when you have a strong feeling that you need it. Listen to your instincts and do that. X
    What does that really mean? I had a strong instinct to get into the water, and my labour slowed. I had a strong instinct to get out of the water, move around, and it amped up again. I don't think it's helpful to tell women what "true" labour is and isn't (does that mean the labour they are feeling is "false"?). It's a different experience for everybody.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by smallpotatoes View Post
    I was having irregular contractions throughout the morning and then they ramped up. Probably established labour was just under 3 hours. I was in denial I was in labour.
    Lucky you decided it was labour eventually and made it to the hospital!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by RedCreamingSoda View Post
    I'll come back and write more detail later when I have time. For my first labour I was in the pool during my loooonnnng first stage. Labour was difficult and I didn't find the water much help. I got out to go to the toilet and never got back in. Second labour I got in and loved the feeling. Had baby about an hour later and also had an unplanned but quick physiological 3rd stage in the pool as well.

When you got out of the water with your first, did the labour immediately start to ramp up or did it just progress the same way as before but you just felt more comfortable out of the water?

It's so interesting that with the second labour you loved the water but not the first..

I loved the water for pain relief with my first but I was in there for hours and eventually got tired.. And after I got out I was still labouring for another 8 hours or more..

With my 2nd labour, I wasn't given the option to go in the bath.

Both labours were induced so I'm hoping that with a spontaneous labour this time, things will happen faster and more naturally but I want to have baby in the water!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by cheeeeesecake View Post
    I had one water birth, & one where I laboured in water & got out to push (on dr's instructions). My situation is probably unique in that I have fast labours, so if the water did slow it down a bit, that's probably a good thing! The first labour was 4 hrs, & I spent around 2-3hrs in the water. The 2nd labour (an induction) was 1 hr 15 mins from first contractio to baby out. I hopped in the bath pretty much at the first contraction & got out in the last 5 mins to push. The 3rd labour I wasnt allowed to use water (too high risk) & it was a 30 minute labour. 30 minutes of hell, lol. My hardest labour by far! So in my experience, I'm quite happy if water does slow my labour a bit... but wont work for everyone!
    Wow! 30 minutes of hell, that sounds horrible but then i think 30 mins and I'm kind of thinking "yeah I'll take it!" Hehe both my labours were about 16 hours from the start of induction.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to witherwings For This Useful Post:

cheeeeesecake  (08-08-2016)