+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Timing for water birth

Just wanted some feedback from people who have had a water birth or know a bit about it..
    When you're planning to have a water birth, at what point do you enter the water? Do you spend the entire 3 stages of labour in the water or do you wait until you're a certain # of cm dilated?

Tia x

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ok, so I've not birthed in water but I laboured in a birth pool at some point with both of my births. Hopefully women who have actually had the baby in water will come along who can help you more.

I think timing is actually very important. For me, I hit the water pretty much as soon as contractions got noticeable - not even really painful - and both times, my labour was slowed, and I felt the need to exit the pool and walk around to get the contractions back up and doing their job, and actually birth my baby on dry land.

I reckon had I held off and only entered the water when contractions were getting really challenging, then I probably could have stayed in and birthed the baby there.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to BornToBe For This Useful Post:

witherwings  (08-08-2016)

hakuna matata is offline The artist formerly know as babyhopeful
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I got in the bath at around 7 cm with both babes. They were both then born within the hour. They suggest not getting in too early as it can stall things. For both babies I got out for placenta delivery, not sure if that was their protocol?

Good luck!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to hakuna matata For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had a similar experience as @BornToBe. My contractions didn't slow down though - I actually got overheated and needed to get out, cool down and refocus to push. I'd been in the water since I was in active, intense labour. For me, I was in there too long.

My plan for my second labour was to hold off and get in later. That was thwarted when I went from 6cm to pushing in about 15 mins 🙄. The midwives started filling the spa when I was 6cm. It was ready when I started pushing but that stage was so intense and wild there was no way I could contemplate moving! So I missed again!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to teenie For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for your replies ladies! It seems like the general rule is to hold off until in more established labour? I've only ever laboured in bath during early labour, between 1-4 cm ... And that stage took about 6-7 hours.. The rest of the labour for my first was spent walking around, bouncing and trying to sleep between contractions (I was so tired!).. So maybe being in the water so early actually made things go really slow for me?

A bit to consider now, thank you!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had a water birth with DS and I probably was only in the pool during transition and delivery. He was born 40 minutes after we arrived at the hospital and I probably only hopped in with 20 mins before he was born.

I didn't have a dilation check so unsure how many cm I was when I arrived.

With DD I was only in the bath in early labour.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to smallpotatoes For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I hopped in just after transition although that also happened within a few minutes of arriving at the hospital. Contractions were on top of each other and as soon as I got in they slowed down and lengthened which meant they were doing more, then my waters broke then DD2 was born so probably 20 mins from transition to birth total labour just under 2.5hrs from first contraction. I found water birth amazing especially after a bed birth with my first. I fed then hopped out and birth placenta on the toilet. Hope you get to have one!

rainbow road is offline look at the stars, look how they shine for you
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    With DS I was told to hold off as long as possible due to it possibly slowing down labour. I hopped in about 6cm and promptly hopped out, I just wasn't comfy in there. This time I'll be giving it a go again and will hold off if possible as well. I don't need my labour any longer than necessary, haha.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by smallpotatoes View Post
    I had a water birth with DS and I probably was only in the pool during transition and delivery. He was born 40 minutes after we arrived at the hospital and I probably only hopped in with 20 mins before he was born.

I didn't have a dilation check so unsure how many cm I was when I arrived.

With DD I was only in the bath in early labour.
    Wow that is a fast labour! How long were you in labour before you came to hospital? Did the midwives tell you to get in pretty much as soon as you got there or did they wait for you to be in transition?

Was your daughter's labour much longer? I know she was your first so naturally it would have been longer.. I wonder if the bath in early labour slowed things down...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Soon2be4 View Post
    I hopped in just after transition although that also happened within a few minutes of arriving at the hospital. Contractions were on top of each other and as soon as I got in they slowed down and lengthened which meant they were doing more, then my waters broke then DD2 was born so probably 20 mins from transition to birth total labour just under 2.5hrs from first contraction. I found water birth amazing especially after a bed birth with my first. I fed then hopped out and birth placenta on the toilet. Hope you get to have one!
    That sounds amazing!

Ok so now I'm seeing a pattern of getting in at transition...

I had a totally different idea of water birth!!! I thought I would be spending 10 hours in a birthing pool lol not that I liked the idea of that, I'm actually a lot more keen on it now that I know it will only be for a couple of hours..