+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Advice needed for baby to sleep at childcare or family day care please.

I wonder if others have had experience of their chldren not sleeping in childcare and something improving it. either a method the childcare used, or placing the child in a quieter darker place which not all childcares can do , or a new staff member, or simply the child being there for longer and being older and conforming or listening?

14 month old baby wont sleep at childcare which he attends 2 days a week
    He is sensitive to any sound in any scenario even at home,
    and he is difficult to get to sleep even at home in a cot, and always has been despite working with various sleep experts . Any sickness or holiday also quickly disrupts him and undoes any slight progress that has been made at any time.

I remember talking to someone last year whose child was a great sleeper, in an easy foolproof established sleep routine in their cot,
    but when they sent their child to a family day care that only had one other child, their child would not manage to sleep there in a new setting easily and would wake to the slightest sound.

the family day care even tried putting their child to sleep in a separate room with ideal conditions, warm dark quiet, ideal setting, at the other end of the house and still this child didnt sleep much or easily and woke to the slightest sound.

I wonder if others have had experience of their chldren not sleeping in childcare and something eventually improving it. either a method the childcare used, or placing the child in a quieter darker place which not all childcares can do , or a new staff member, or simply the child being there for longer and being older and conforming or listening?

i have heard of family day care and childcare pushing a child to sleep in a pusher, or rocking them to sleep in their arms, which obviously is difficult. Has anyone had experience in this and what worked and did it improve after some months and how many days a week was your child in childcare as perhaps if my child was there more days a week it would progress or maybe it still wouldnt.

thank you
    Last edited by sylvia1111; 07-08-2016 at 09:07.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Note: DS is a lot younger than yours.

At the first daycare, DS had to pat to sleep. He was 5 months at the time. He had problem at home as well. He fixed the nap problem himself as he got older. Likely due to us solving his colic issue around 6months and he was able self settled then. However, he wouldn't sleep more than 30 mins at a time at daycare so it was always a nightmare coming back home overtired. They tried to let him sleep in the bouncer -- I gave them permission. Whatever it worked. He is quite noise sensitive. We r trying to change this because it is impossible to do any house work or taking him out if he won't sleep in a noisy environment.

He has been sleeping ok at the second (current) daycare with few off days. We reckon he is older is part of it. When he started crawling and trying to pull himself up, we brought in a sleeping bag and he slept better. The current daycare has two rooms instead of a big one. 3 cots in each room. They put him in the darkest corner. I must say that he has never gotten as much sleep at daycare than at home. My friends say the same. I guess it might be a matter of time getting used to the new environment. DS didn't sleep well for a good week when we were traveling and he slept in a different cot.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Do you know what they do at his daycare already? and what they have tried? and what do you do at home?

I've known kids to never sleep at preschool, and often when that happens the parents don't worry about the lack of sleep if said child is in only a day or two.

Does he have something special to take to bed? I've worked in a childcare center for years. Sometimes we put gentle music on (some with heartbeat background, some with white noise background, or just gentle relaxing music. Sometimes changing the childs sleep time can help. Put him to bed a little bit later than normal. Rocking in arms or pram. maybe even a change in bed might help. If he's in a bed, maybe he feels more relaxed in a cot, or vice versa. Or maybe a sleeping bag may help? Or maybe have only a certain staff member put him to bed? Some children/babies we need to sit with them and rub their backs or just sit with them. some we jiggle their beds like a motion of a car or pram.

Unfortunately its all trial and error at a childcare center. Hopefully something will work for your wee man.