+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Taking back control of my life...

Quote Originally Posted by Purple Poppy View Post
    I have often sent my dh a photo of a clean room or a mopped floor saying thought I would let you admire this because it wont look like this when you get home and i would hate for you to miss out 😊
    Yes! I've done this! Look dh it's clean!
    Because 5 seconds later the house is trashed again, like now dd2 is ripping up tissues and dd1 is tipping toys out everywhere. Dh always comes home to a tip as in the Arvos everyone is feral (me included).
    Seriously why do I fing bother?!? So I mostly don't now lol.

Eta: I still haven't put all the groceries away from the shopping 2 days ago lol. I don't have the room and dd1 takes them all out to go "shopping" anyway. So whatever.
    Last edited by Little Miss Sunshine; 09-08-2016 at 14:26.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Little Miss Sunshine For This Useful Post:

Phony  (09-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Purple Poppy View Post
    I have often sent my dh a photo of a clean room or a mopped floor saying thought I would let you admire this because it wont look like this when you get home and i would hate for you to miss out 😊
    Best idea ever. I should have done that yesterday.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Taking back control of my life...

ImageUploadedByThe Bub Hub1470717340.173427.jpg

We play a game I like to think of in my head as "bin Jenga". Both dh and I keep putting rubbish in without emptying it in the hope it won't fall out. If it does, you lose!!!

I'm currently cheating at the moment as I added more rubbish in a little shopping bag and leaving it on the kitchen bench.

I'm sure all this is sooo much more effort than just taking the rubbish out but it's the principal of the thing. Dh has NEVER taken it out unless I ask. So "bin Jenga" continues!

(Eta: dh does not know he is playing )
    Last edited by Little Miss Sunshine; 09-08-2016 at 14:42.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Little Miss Sunshine For This Useful Post:

Freyamum  (09-08-2016),Phony  (09-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My way staying on top of things with small kids
    - minimalism. Throw out most of the toys, have enough clothes but not too many. Make sure everything has a place to go. Without clutter you have clear surfaces and it's easy to stay on top of things. I keep a garbage bag on the coat rack by the front door to go charity and add to it constantly. If I buy the kids a few new items of clothing or new shoes I put some of the older ones in the charity bag. If they get a new toy put some older ones in the charity bag. You will never be on top of things if you have too many things. Be ruthless. Give up trying to clean and give yourself 2 weeks to cull. One hour a day and would be surprised what you can achieve.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to xyz987 For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (09-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Miss Sunshine View Post
    (Eta: dh does not know he is playing )

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    He he my photo day at the mo would be be pouring over Pinterest ideas for outside, measuring up, feeling demoralised and back onto web for more ideas and then berating myself for wasting so much time while inlaws are here and mil is doing most of house stuff and fil the school runs... Nothing quite fits. Even brainstorming with mil has got me nowhere. This is how I end up freaking out and wanting to move....
    Dp would never look at the photos anyway. He's just not interested in house stuff. Thinks the fairies come in and sort everything. He'd live knee deep in toys and newspapers and dust and not even notice. I think. We'll soon find out 😉

Thanks
    Reviews
    @Freyamum a few things spring to mind. Get an architectural landscaping plan done for your yard. Provided that finances allow. This will dictate how to improve all hard & soft surfaces & take the pressure off YOU to develop solutions. Also, have you heard of speed cleaning? It's very clever & you might find it makes cleaning that bit easier. IKEA 8 hole Kallax shelving unit on its side would create loads of storage. Doesn't need to be up against a 'traditional' wall.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would look into some permanent fencing for a courtyard type area. It will be worth the investment as it will give the house resale appeal to young families - a secure outdoor play area is a common issue with sloping blocks.

Inside, if you have sofas in the middle of the room look for a buffet/credenda that can sit behind. Something with cupboards not shelves. Mine looks all grown up as though it will store glassware or such - but its full of craft supplies and board games!

If you have big spaces with no walls then look for storage than can create divides then use rugs or other furniture to emphasise that it is deliberate. Place bookcases or tall cupboards back to back then tether at the top with a bracket to minimise the tip risk. You could potentially split the rumpus into a play room and a TV room.

Also, leave no space wasted. Under the bed, bottom of wardrobes etc. In houses where storageis non existent I've 2 stacked used plastic tubs covered in a nice piece of fabric as bedside tables.

Don't feel that you need to put things in a place that makes sense to others. I store infrequently used kitchen stuff in bedrooms - if that's where the empty cupboard is then that's where it goes!

Finally, could the study or spare bedroom have a wall of floor to ceiling built ins with sliding doors? We rented a place where the bedrooms had these and it was fantastic! We went from that to a house with no built ins - that was a lesson in decluttering!

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stretched For This Useful Post:

Freyamum  (09-08-2016),gingermillie  (09-08-2016)