+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    About $20 - 25 depending on the friend. I try and get those Lego sets that are around $29 on special when they are $20 and have a supply of them for parties. Lego is always a hit and can be easily returned if they have the set already. We are Costco members so I have a large roll of double sided wrapping paper and colouring cards that wrap all presents.

I only look at DS presents to check I'm not being too stingy!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Quick poll: $ for classmate present

1) I usually spend about $30 for a child who's parents I don't know, but for friends' children I could spend anywhere from $50 to $100. Most of my friends have children between 2.5-4.5 and DS is almost 5 so his preschool friends are all around his age.

2) I never think about how much others have spent unless I think it's ridiculously extravagant, like a close family friend bought our son a huge wooden activity centre from "B." Which I know would have cost hundreds of $

ETA - complaining about aspects of the present - actually I have to admit I have done this on occasions under 2 scenarios - (1) when the present was completely not age appropriate (DS got a set of make-your-own play dough thing with special dinosaur moulds which had a recommended age of 4+ and this was for his 1st bday), and (2) when it's something super noisy, like a drum sort of instrument. My mum bought my boys noisemakers one year and DH said we will only play with them at her house
    Last edited by witherwings; 06-08-2016 at 21:45.

Thanks
    Reviews
    DD ha just got her first ever birthday party invite. It's for a girl who's turning 5. We spent $6 on a present (a pack of shopkins felt coloring sheets with textas and some spinning tops wig textas in the bottom). We don't know them well, don't know what she has/likes other than shopkins, and don't want to fill their house with unwanted crap. I gave DD the option of a board game/puzzle, small Lego set or stationery, and she chose the latter.

Thanks
    Reviews
    $20 roughly.

Thanks
    Reviews
    $20 limit unless it's a best friend, and then no more than $30, but I won't spend $30 unless it's for something specific. If it's a whole class party $10-$15.
    I avoid buying anything big and bulky (our school caters to a suburb that is full of small houses and small land, so no one is living in a big 5 bedroom, 3 bathroom, 15 living areas type house.) and I get my child to ask for ideas on what their friend would like. If they don't know I stick to a stationary pack, a dress up, or lego for that age group. For a bit older I find a book voucher for our local independent bookshop is well received, or pre-teens/ teens really like getting money from their friends so they can go shopping and buy clothes/shoes they've been eyeing off.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I usually spend $50. I always buy a piece of clothing and a book or toy.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Thanks for all the responses . I spent $15 + about $7 for card/paper. I asked hubby what he would spend and he said $10.

In the end I don't think it matters. I think the parents just want their little one to feel special for a day. And having friends and cake will do that.