+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Celiac disease? Symptoms? Diagnoses?

Hi all. Just wanting some advice if anyone's child has this, how did you find out? What symptoms were there, if any? Diet change? Was it better? What did you notice.

Thank you

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My DS was diagnosed about 1.5 years ago.

He had always been really fussy with his food however over xmas/new year his stomach started to swell up in the evening, like he swallowed a balloon and it inflated. He complained of tummy pain at night. He also went really skinny and pale.

I went to four doctors and begged them to test for lactose or gluten allergy. They kept telling me he wasn't sick enough to have celiacs or lactose intolerance and it was just gas. Finally the fifth doctor did it (I think just to shut me up) and I got a call the next day to bring him straight in. His results were apparently incredibly high.

Sure enough he had the scope and the photos showed so much damage in his tummy, small intestine and bowel that I actually cried. Poor thing must have been in so much pain for quite a long time

Anyway that was history - gluten free diet and he is making leaps and bounds

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Meld85 View Post
    My DS was diagnosed about 1.5 years ago.

He had always been really fussy with his food however over xmas/new year his stomach started to swell up in the evening, like he swallowed a balloon and it inflated. He complained of tummy pain at night. He also went really skinny and pale.

I went to four doctors and begged them to test for lactose or gluten allergy. They kept telling me he wasn't sick enough to have celiacs or lactose intolerance and it was just gas. Finally the fifth doctor did it (I think just to shut me up) and I got a call the next day to bring him straight in. His results were apparently incredibly high.

Sure enough he had the scope and the photos showed so much damage in his tummy, small intestine and bowel that I actually cried. Poor thing must have been in so much pain for quite a long time

Anyway that was history - gluten free diet and he is making leaps and bounds
    Thank you so. I have for your response

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you so much for your response. My child doesn't complain of a sore tummy or had the symptoms you have listed, just wondered if that could contribute to her short structure.

Might mention it to a dr, like I said, a friends niece is being tested because she is short compared to her peers, so I wondered if that played a role.

However I'm short, so it's just confusing.

Was it hard to change diet? Did you notice growth spurt?

We have been tested but for other reasons which came out good.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I didn't notice much of a change in his height but he was a bit slow with his speech and understanding.... Which really improved after the diet changed. Also his behaviour settled down a bit.

The diet changes wasn't too big of a thing. He hated the bread at first (I don't blame him) but we replaced it with corn thins. Eventually he came round to it and ears toast and sandwiches. He loves rice crackers and really loves his dairy (cheese yoghurt) and loves cake which is easy to make gluten free.

Dinners he always was a bit of a fussy eater so has always been meat and veg or pasta which was easily switched to gluten free.

The only hard thing is going out... A lot of places don't do gluten free and if they do... It still can get contaminated....

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Meld85 For This Useful Post:

Nafsika  (06-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just a question, can a dr order a blood test or does it have to be a paed?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Our GP referred my son (he was negative).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Does it affect the sleep? I would assume it does? DS was diagnosed lactose intolerance. His gas problem went away. However, he is still a fussy eater and his stomach swells after meal just as you described. He sometime has a lot of gas but we didn't notice any difference for his diet to know what causes the gas problem again.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yeah a GP can order a test and depending on the results will refer to to a paediatrician to get a formal diagnosis.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by bbhope View Post
    Does it affect the sleep? I would assume it does? DS was diagnosed lactose intolerance. His gas problem went away. However, he is still a fussy eater and his stomach swells after meal just as you described. He sometime has a lot of gas but we didn't notice any difference for his diet to know what causes the gas problem again.
    Swollen tummy and lots of gas are symptoms of CD, might be worth getting it checked out...

I don't remember it effecting his sleep once he was asleep but he complained of a sore tummy when trying to go to sleep and one of us would sit there and rub it until he went to sleep.

Oh he also struggled with constipation which can be another symptom.