+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 23 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week

Default Census 2016

Quote Originally Posted by BornToBe View Post
    You're right Sonja. I'm not sitting around with a tinfoil hat. However "it has nothing to do with the government" is not quite true. The government is charged with keeping that data 100% secure for it's life span. Can they achieve that? Many are doubtful.

It seems we agree anyway so your criticism of my post is a bit off track.
    Sorry I only read the last page of this thread I didn't realise I was criticising your post.

For the record we are completing the census. I am only pointing out why perhaps it's the government that needs to get over itself and not people who are raising valid concerns and they are falling on deaf ears.

This article pretty much sums up where I'm at

http://www.smh.com.au/comment/the-ce...04-gqllvs.html
    Last edited by Sonja; 07-08-2016 at 09:41.

rainbow road is offline look at the stars, look how they shine for you
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default Census 2016

Quote Originally Posted by witherwings View Post
    Totally off topic I know, but ..

There are actually non-Centrelink tax issues that are affected by spouse info, and people whether same sex or not can either get a benefit or be disadvantaged by when choosing to disclose or not disclose their status, depending on their circumstances. Technically you're supposed to disclose, but if you're not married, don't have joint bank accounts and assets, it's very hard for ATO to prove you are a couple.

Factors that are affected include the Medicare levy surcharge, Medicare levy reduction for low family income, spouse contributions to superannuation, health insurance tax rebate..
    Oh totally. And there have been many occasions where I've thought "eff it, if the government don't want to grant us basic rights to be married etc then why shouldn't I take advantage of that and use it to my benefit?"

And you know, I'm sure there are people that do in both same sex and Hetero relationships. I guess it's a question of integrity, we do things properly because it's the right thing to do, it's just frustrating that we seem to have more hoops to jump through than others.

Like having to hobble to a BDM office 3 days post partum because it's not standard to issue the child registration form that allows both of us to be listed as mother in a hospital. Like how hard would it be to ensure hospitals had copies of both?

Anyway I digress majorly! As you all were 😊
    Last edited by rainbow road; 07-08-2016 at 09:50.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rainbow road For This Useful Post:

Candiceo  (07-08-2016),witherwings  (07-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Change of topic but something popped up on my fb the other day about doing this. How that if you click on no religion then the majority of religion will be Muslim and if that happens then we will become a Muslim country so they are urging people to put Catholic or Christian if they are going to do no religion. Like wtf? I don't believe that, just thought wow.

rainbow road is offline look at the stars, look how they shine for you
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by AngelicHobgoblin View Post
    Change of topic but something popped up on my fb the other day about doing this. How that if you click on no religion then the majority of religion will be Muslim and if that happens then we will become a Muslim country so they are urging people to put Catholic or Christian if they are going to do no religion. Like wtf? I don't believe that, just thought wow.
    Yes - I've seen it on mine too. It makes me stabby! Put what you identify with, end of!

I actually don't know what I will put. I'm Jewish, but I don't practice Judaism... Religion wise I'm atheist but culturally I'm jewish... So I'm really not sure what to put!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AngelicHobgoblin View Post
    There's a website set up to explain why this is a ridiculous notion. I'll see if I can find it for you

ETA http://censusnoreligion.org.au/

7. The Following User Says Thank You to atomicmama For This Useful Post:

witherwings  (07-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    From the website:

Did you hear something like the following?

AUSTRALIA WILL BE HOLDING A CENSUS IN AUGUST.
    DO NOT LEAVE THE 'RELIGION' SECTION BLANK. BE SURE TO AT LEAST TICK CHRISTIAN (OR YOUR UPBRINGING FAITH).

1,000,000 MUSLIMS WILL TICK THEIR BOX.
    10,000,000 AUSTRALIANS WILL LEAVE IT BLANK THEN WONDER WHY A MOSQUE IS BUILT IN THEIR NEIGHBOURHOOD!!!

PASS THIS ON TO ALL YOUR FRIENDS

This is a fear campaign using false information.

The 2011 Census indicated that 475,562 people said that their religion was Islam – only about 2.2% of the entire population, and nearly 30% of those are children (0-14 years of age).

10 million people – roughly half of all Australians – don't leave the religion question blank.

Identifying as Christian won't stop mosques from being built in your neighbourhood, any more than it will suddenly lead to new churches erupting from the ground.

It does not matter what name someone gives to their god, or whether the building on the corner is a mosque or church, or a football club. We have secular laws that should represent all Australians regardless of their belief or disbelief as defined by Section 116 of the Constitution*.

The government has never built temples, churches, or mosques. We live in a free secular society which tolerates personal faiths. But most importantly, if people are truly terrified of religions taking over the country, they should support any efforts to keep church and state separate.

By marking the Census correctly you are better represented in decision-making and funding decisions. In fact, it can be argued that a secular society better reflects what is fair for all Australians so that we can all live together, regardless of faith or lack of it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Census 2016

Genuine question for those who are worried about privacy. People are worried about their privacy of details but centrelink, ATO and Medicare store most of these details anyway?

Eta: also your bank and ASIC etc would have most of the info
    Last edited by Mod-Zeddie; 07-08-2016 at 14:45.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mod-Zeddie For This Useful Post:

J37  (07-08-2016),TheGooch  (07-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Mod-Zeddie View Post
    Genuine question for those who are worried about privacy. People are worried about their privacy of details but centrelink, ATO and Medicare store most of these details anyway?
    Have you read up on anything about the privacy issues? There is a lot of information about the privacy surrounding this census and the concerns which differ from usual government departments.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Census 2016

Quote Originally Posted by rainbow road View Post
    Yes - I've seen it on mine too. It makes me stabby! Put what you identify with, end of!

I actually don't know what I will put. I'm Jewish, but I don't practice Judaism... Religion wise I'm atheist but culturally I'm jewish... So I'm really not sure what to put!
    This is me - but I took it to mean am i currently practicing a certain religion ( which I am not even though technically I'm Jewish) so I actually put no religion - same for DS and DH is agnostic anyway ( even though he is "technically " Church of England christened but has never been inside a church!)

I did it online last night - as for privacy they asked less than any rewards programme , bank or even DS school asks on their applications so it didn't worry me , it's info any one could easily find out if they wanted too
    Last edited by Elijahs Mum; 07-08-2016 at 11:53.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Not sure how reliable these answers are but they certainly have put my mind at ease.

http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2016-0...ata-go/7677240