+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 23 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Census 2016

Quote Originally Posted by J37 View Post
    For those people who are planning not to participate in the Census (which I think is pretty selfish), do you really think you are that interesting that "the government", or anyone else for that matter, is going to make a point of tracking down your information?

I would ask, what are you hiding? Tax evasion, residency issues? (This is a general "you", by the way).

We're in this together. Don't we want the best for Australia? Accurate demographics are important.

I'm actually impressed that @RR, @JustJaq and @TandR are on a quest to ensure their information is recorded to correctly reflect their "non-standard" situations. (I haven't phrased this well, but I know you girls get what I mean ). This will be very important for future policy, legislation, funding, social representation, and etc.

Some people just need to take 30 mins to get over themselves.

Sent from my SM-N910G using The Bub Hub mobile app
    This is what I was thinking too, something along the lines of, I don't have anything to hide. But DH pointed out that if the info got into the wrong hands (say, by a hacker) it could give them a lot of info that is used to identify yourself in security checks, like ATO or banking for example. It's definitely a risk. But I agree that not participating in the census is selfish. I do think they should make the questions more flexible though. How hard would it be to add an extra line for same sex parents, as well as including info about donors, if the purpose of that was to identify heritage of indigenous peoples for example? Or add more options for religions, I'm still feeling a little snubbed about the "other" option

2. The Following User Says Thank You to witherwings For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Sunshine  (07-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by rainbow road View Post
    Oh I mean how our relationship is recognised in terms of being recognised as a couple by Centrelink and the ato etc so we still get payments in accordance with that. Which is fair, however what doesn't seem fair that they'll recognise us in that respect but not other ways.
    Totally off topic I know, but ..

There are actually non-Centrelink tax issues that are affected by spouse info, and people whether same sex or not can either get a benefit or be disadvantaged by when choosing to disclose or not disclose their status, depending on their circumstances. Technically you're supposed to disclose, but if you're not married, don't have joint bank accounts and assets, it's very hard for ATO to prove you are a couple.

Factors that are affected include the Medicare levy surcharge, Medicare levy reduction for low family income, spouse contributions to superannuation, health insurance tax rebate..

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by witherwings View Post
    This is what I was thinking too, something along the lines of, I don't have anything to hide. But DH pointed out that if the info got into the wrong hands (say, by a hacker) it could give them a lot of info that is used to identify yourself in security checks, like ATO or banking for example. It's definitely a risk. But I agree that not participating in the census is selfish. I do think they should make the questions more flexible though. How hard would it be to add an extra line for same sex parents, as well as including info about donors, if the purpose of that was to identify heritage of indigenous peoples for example? Or add more options for religions, I'm still feeling a little snubbed about the "other" option
    I agree...and it's conversations and discussions like this which will hopefully lead to a re-write of the next Census, which will allow for more specific, and therefore useful, responses.

I doubt the Census-writers are being deliberately obtusive. Just a bit behind the times.

Sent from my SM-N910G using The Bub Hub mobile app

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to J37 For This Useful Post:

BettyW  (09-08-2016),TheGooch  (07-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    @J37 I don't have anything to hide and I would participate happily if it wasn't for the privacy issue...

As mentioned above by a PP my issue isn't what the current gvt will do with the info, my issue is that I don't want other parties getting old to that info.

Data breaches happen all the time and the security around the online system for the census is a joke for a good enough hacker.
    I don't think I need to list the last instances of data leaks to show that my concern is valid.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ExcuseMyFrench For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard  (07-08-2016),Sonja  (07-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    You're "selfish" if you don't agree with the government forcing you to detail your name, address, date of birth, personal details including caring commitments, workplace inc. name, every child's name and date of birth and place of birth, how much money you earn and how much bloody housework you do all together on one handy form which you then pass off in perfect trust (because governments worldwide have proven how totally trustworthy they are)? How ridiculous.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    It's got nothing to do with what the government will do with the information. This isn't 1984. We're not dumbly sitting around the house with tinfoil hats on.

I work for a very big enterprise which has access to a lot of private information of the public and our privacy obligations are extremely high. I think people's concerns about data breaches are very valid and from what I've read the government can't provide basic assurances about protection of this information.
    @J37 you'd be completely fine with all your data being hacked and sold to the highest bidder?

Thanks
    Reviews
    You're right Sonja. I'm not sitting around with a tinfoil hat. However "it has nothing to do with the government" is not quite true. The government is charged with keeping that data 100% secure for it's life span. Can they achieve that? Many are doubtful.

It seems we agree anyway so your criticism of my post is a bit off track.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Most people have to fill out forms to get FTB. That includes your names, kids names, dates of birth, assets you own, your income, address, tax details etc. yet no one is complaining
    Last edited by Janesmum123; 07-08-2016 at 09:36.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Janesmum123 For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Sunshine  (07-08-2016),witherwings  (07-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    what are the penalties (if any) for not completing it?

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Census 2016

Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    @J37 you'd be completely fine with all your data being hacked and sold to the highest bidder?
    I know this wasn't directed at me but I'd thought I'd put my two cents in.

Of course nobody wants their data hacked. But we have little option but to put faith in those who have that information to keep it secure. There is already data on us everywhere. You can't just stash money under the bed and use paper forms your entire life. It's a price for modern life and convenience.

The census provides the government important data and refusing to do so because of a scare campaign about privacy and security is primarily selfish. We all have to do it. We are all taking that risk. And we have already taken that risk by setting up electronic banking, completing our tax online, my gov accounts etc etc so this is no different. It's that simple.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Little Miss Sunshine For This Useful Post:

BettyW  (09-08-2016),J37  (07-08-2016)