+ Reply to Thread
Page 21 of 23 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by ExcuseMyFrench View Post
    Because you are happy to give your personal details to big corporations doesn't mean that everybody is...
    I totally agree. I'm not happy to give my details to big corporations unless there's enough in it for me.

I have woollies rewards for the frequent fliers, that's it. I'm not in FB, whatsApp, Instagram etc.

I'm happy to do the census however.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Just as a matter of interest, how many other organisations would insist on you declaring your religion?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Phony For This Useful Post:

witherwings  (10-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    The information the census asks for is so benign, I still don't see the uproar. It asks for much less than the ATO, banks or Centrelink do, much, much less. And on those databases, all the information is linked.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Moxy For This Useful Post:

gingermillie  (10-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    They're blaming the website failure in hacking attacks. And sure, that would have contributed. But even if there hadn't been any hacking attacks, it's likely it would have fallen over anyway. The servers were designed to manage 1 million forms an hour. Given there are at least 10 million households, and most people were likely to try to fill it in over a two to four hour window in the evening, the servers were never going to be sufficient to handle the peak periods.

And we should trust that the ABS has a suitable system for keeping our data safe? Pffft.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Gentoo For This Useful Post:

Phony  (10-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BornToBe View Post
    I don't really see the argument in "you've voluntary given some information, so don't complain about being coerced into volunteering some more". It just doesn't fly with me.
    You feel coerced because you have to provide your name for a census form? Don't you think this statement makes you sound a little "entitled"?

Do you feel coerced when you're forced to show your driver's licence when being pulled over for RBT?

I'm not talking about applying for a loyalty card. The census is important for the good of society but because someone feels like their "privacy" is being invaded, they go on a tirade about constitutional rights when in fact, your privacy is an illusion because voluntary or not, all your info is out there already.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to witherwings For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (10-08-2016),Chippa  (10-08-2016),J37  (10-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    #colesandwooliesjustcalledtoconfirmtheyhaverunouto falfoil

11. The Following User Says Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard  (10-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by witherwings View Post
    You feel coerced because you have to provide your name for a census form? Don't you think this statement makes you sound a little "entitled"?

Do you feel coerced when you're forced to show your driver's licence when being pulled over for RBT?

I'm not talking about applying for a loyalty card. The census is important for the good of society but because someone feels like their "privacy" is being invaded, they go on a tirade about constitutional rights when in fact, your privacy is an illusion because voluntary or not, all your info is out there already.
    Coercion: (n)the action or practice of persuading someone to do something by using force or threats.

I don't know about your driving analogy; I choose to be licensed and drive on the road. I could very easily opt out of that.

You're also kind of ignoring my point, that just because I volunteer some information, doesn't mean I should be coerced into providing further information.

Your posts are reading a little emotional to me. No need to get personal. I'm not sure why it is so upsetting to some members that people don't like participating in the census.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Phony View Post
    Just as a matter of interest, how many other organisations would insist on you declaring your religion?
    You can always mark "no religion" if you aren't comfortable declaring.

For what it's worth, I had to declare our religion on my son's school enrolment form.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BornToBe View Post
    Coercion: (n)the action or practice of persuading someone to do something by using force or threats.

I don't know about your driving analogy; I choose to be licensed and drive on the road. I could very easily opt out of that.

You're also kind of ignoring my point, that just because I volunteer some information, doesn't mean I should be coerced into providing further information.

Your posts are reading a little emotional to me. No need to get personal. I'm not sure why it is so upsetting to some members that people don't like participating in the census.
    I'm not emotional at all. A little surprised by the way some people completely miss the point, but otherwise all good

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to witherwings For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (10-08-2016),Moxy  (10-08-2016),VicPark  (10-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Phony View Post
    The religion question was optional.
    But even if it wasn't, what difference does it make? How is that information useful to anyone outside the ABS?

School enrolment forms ask the religion question, do people object to that as well?

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Moxy For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (10-08-2016),witherwings  (10-08-2016)