+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 23 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast
    rainbow road is offline look at the stars, look how they shine for you
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Meg2 View Post
    this is incorrect. names and addresses have always been compulsory. have a look at the abs website here; http://www.abs.gov.au/websitedbs/cen...f/home/privacy
    (sorry can't do hyperlink on phone). if people are worried they really need to find accurate information about this, not just rely on newspapers or blogs or whatever.
    Yes, however they were only able to be stored for the 18 month period if you opted in - there's no option to do that now, all names and addresses will be stored now.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by M'LadyEm View Post
    Oh I'm not stressed, just more frustrated. For something as major as a census you think there would be more advertising/awareness about it for say a month leading up to it. Especially when the fine is something ridiculous like $180/day (as per DH - I have no idea)
    Yep I agree, and the fact that the phone line is jammed shows that a lot of people are in the same boat. The fines only apply if you refuse to do it once you're actually assigned a code or paperwork. I figure they can just wait a while for ours

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by rainbow road View Post
    Yes, however they were only able to be stored for the 18 month period if you opted in - there's no option to do that now, all names and addresses will be stored now.
    I'm not sure what you mean by 'opted in'. You always HAD to supply your name and address, which were then stored for about 18 months (whether you liked it or not). Now, you still have to supply your name and address, which are stored for about 2.5 years longer than they were in the past.
    It's just not that much of a change, so I can't understand why people are so worried about it this year all of a sudden.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Meg2 For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (09-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Anyone having issues and can't get into the website? Ours is saying we don't have Java script which we do and when we call they say there experiencing high volume of calls and it hangs up on you.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Busy today, so don't have time to respond to all points, but just wanted to add that this might be the reason why the Census online form doesn't have the capacity to recognise same sex families.

Check out this quote from the Minister responsible for the Census, Michael McCormack, in 1993:

""A week never goes by anymore that homosexuals and their sordid behaviour don't become further entrenched in society.

"Unfortunately gays are here and, if the disease their unnatural acts helped spread doesn't wipe out humanity, they're here to stay."

McCormack later apologised, though he remains opposed to same-sex marriage. "

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politi...26-gmdzr6.html

rainbow road is offline look at the stars, look how they shine for you
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default Census 2016

Last edited by rainbow road; 09-08-2016 at 13:30.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by JustJaq View Post
    Busy today, so don't have time to respond to all points, but just wanted to add that this might be the reason why the Census online form doesn't have the capacity to recognise same sex families.

Check out this quote from the Minister responsible for the Census, Michael McCormack, in 1993:

""A week never goes by anymore that homosexuals and their sordid behaviour don't become further entrenched in society.

"Unfortunately gays are here and, if the disease their unnatural acts helped spread doesn't wipe out humanity, they're here to stay."

McCormack later apologised, though he remains opposed to same-sex marriage. "

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politi...26-gmdzr6.html
    That is an absolutely hideous quote, but the minister responsible for the Census has very little to do with the questions or wording on the form. I think it is just that very little gets changed on the forms between Censuses because they want to create consistent long term statistics, so they try to change as little as possible. Given that diverse family structures are a reality and much more accepted these days, this should be reflected in a change in the Census wording and the boffins at the ABS will need to find a way of accommodating these changes into their long term statistical trends. I imagine that they are just a bit behind with this one, but given the difficulties that some families are facing because of the wording on the form, hopefully they will change it next time around.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Meg2 For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (09-08-2016),witherwings  (09-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    The census online is ridiculous, I have no issue sharing my info if it is indeed used for accurate statistics, however I have 6 kids, none of whom will be here tonight, the online form doesn't allow for you to add that, you can only put down 3 people who won't be there on the night, I called them and they said just add 3 of the 6 and leave the rest out.. That's not accurate, and how many other large families have the same issue. Kind of makes it half pointless when the data isn't accurate

11. The Following User Says Thank You to tamzmaree For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (09-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Also, in response to PPs saying data will be encrypted, etc, I'd say a few things.

Firstly, the ABS has reported 14 data breaches since 2013 - see https://www.theguardian.com/australi...hes-since-2013

Secondly, I'm no computer expert, but I'd bet no data is unhackable. In the last week or so, there was a significant hack of the Bitcoin system (the super-secure online currency), wiping about 35% off the value of that currency. See http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articl...receive-tokens

If hackers can get into that system and steal that much currency, despite some of the best protection in the world, the ABS will be a walk in the park.

Thirdly,and again, I'm no computer expert, there has to be some sort of consistent way of translating name details into the ‘code’ – otherwise, how would the information be able to be linked with information from other data bases to provide the “richer and more detailed” information that they are supposedly seeking? In other words, there is a 'key' that unlocks the identifying details, which can be used again and again to get the same results.

Fourthly, data is vulnerable to ABS staff themselves. They're human, and falliable ,just like everyone else. In recent times, a few ABS employees were charged with insider trading after misusing private information to benefit themselves to the tune of about $7 million. Data is valuable. http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-03-1...rading/6324526

Just a few things to think about.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Update for anyone who hasn't received any census info. I just got through on the census line and they're texting me the code to login to the online version. Quick and easy in the end.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to teenie For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Sunshine  (09-08-2016),M'LadyEm  (09-08-2016)