+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Where is everyone getting their info about the data being kept for just 18 months or like 4 years?? If you choose to (as we have), the data can be released after 99 years. I have dabbled in family history so I'm more than happy to let my data be released, as is DP.
    ImageUploadedByThe Bub Hub1470699109.814632.jpg
    Really not sure what the issue is

rainbow road is offline look at the stars, look how they shine for you
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hollywood View Post
    Where is everyone getting their info about the data being kept for just 18 months or like 4 years?? If you choose to (as we have), the data can be released after 99 years. I have dabbled in family history so I'm more than happy to let my data be released, as is DP.
    Attachment 83365
    Really not sure what the issue is
    Name details and address, not the other information provided which becomes data.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rainbow road View Post
    I never said I was boycotting census. I'm filling out a paper form, not doing it online.

And I guess the difference is I choose to give my information to niantic or Facebook, if I didn't want to then the option exists for me to not sign up.

Yes, you used to provide name and address on the previous censuses, but having your name and address details kept was previously opt in - now it is compulsory.

I simply shared the link because it was an interesting read and I thought others might appreciate reading it.

My issue with the census is that it doesn't provide an opportunity for me to accurately represent my family without having to jump through hoops, and frankly I think that's a perfectly legitimate reason for me to be annoyed about it. But I literally not once have said I am boycotting the census at all.

ETA: I didn't realise you addressed the Pokemon go to EMF... Whoops. Answered anyway! Ha
    Not referring to you hun, that comment was for excuse my French

I have no problem with Pokemon go for the record! If I wasn't so damn scared of getting addicted to it, I would totally download it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by rainbow road View Post

My issue with the census is that it doesn't provide an opportunity for me to accurately represent my family without having to jump through hoops, and frankly I think that's a perfectly legitimate reason for me to be annoyed about it. But I literally not once have said I am boycotting the census at all.

ETA: I didn't realise you addressed the Pokemon go to EMF... Whoops. Answered anyway! Ha
    That is a perfectly valid reason to be annoyed and I'm annoyed for you and for anyone else who has children in a same-sex partner family. The point of getting the info is to make better policy decisions and community planning, so why aren't these issues being taking into consideration when creating those policies? I 100% agree with you, JJ, and anyone else who's raised these concerns. But as you said, you're not going to boycott the census over it. Because that would be the equivalent of stamping your foot like a child and chucking a tantrum.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by JustJaq View Post
    @witherwings, this is the first year providing name details has been compulsory, as I said above. Previously, it was voluntary, and if you did provide it, it was kept for 18 months.

Privacy is an internationally recognised right. Can provide convention etc details later if you like. Sure, there may be a hierarchy of rights, but it doesn't mean privacy isn't one of them.

FWIW, I don't play Pokemon Go, and try to avoid apps etc that require too much personal information.
    I know that privacy is a human right under UN conventions, but saying that providing your name and address on a census is in breach of this human right is wrong. It's ok to provide your most personal details when it comes to getting Centrelink benefits but when you're asked to participate in an important community project that will benefit society as a whole, everyone is up in arms.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to witherwings For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (09-08-2016),Little Miss Sunshine  (09-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by JustJaq View Post
    @witherwings, this is the first year providing name details has been compulsory, as I said above. Previously, it was voluntary, and if you did provide it, it was kept for 18 months.
    this is incorrect. names and addresses have always been compulsory. have a look at the abs website here; http://www.abs.gov.au/websitedbs/censushome.nsf/home/privacy
    (sorry can't do hyperlink on phone). if people are worried they really need to find accurate information about this, not just rely on newspapers or blogs or whatever.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Meg2 For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (09-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Haven't read the thread but quick question, how long have you all been aware of the census? DH and I were talking last night, we've only really known about it for a week or 2 and DH has been trying to contact the abs because we've not received a code to do it online. When he calls he just gets an automated message saying there's a high volume of calls and then it hangs up on him. It doesn't seem as heavily advertised this year so now we have no idea what we're supposed to do. Is anyone else in the same boat? He has emailed them last week, but as yet no reply.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by M'LadyEm View Post
    Haven't read the thread but quick question, how long have you all been aware of the census? DH and I were talking last night, we've only really known about it for a week or 2 and DH has been trying to contact the abs because we've not received a code to do it online. When he calls he just gets an automated message saying there's a high volume of calls and then it hangs up on him. It doesn't seem as heavily advertised this year so now we have no idea what we're supposed to do. Is anyone else in the same boat? He has emailed them last week, but as yet no reply.
    We are in the same boat. I'm not stressed as the deadline is in September sometime. I'm just going to keep trying to ring over the coming days.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I only heard about it recently too, came as a surprise!
    I've ordered a paper form and it won't arrive for today. I read there is an "unofficial" deadline of 23rd September to do it so don't stress.

If you didn't get the letter, I think the only way is to get another code by going to the Census Inquiry Service page and sending a message, or calling which is sounds like you have done.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Oh I'm not stressed, just more frustrated. For something as major as a census you think there would be more advertising/awareness about it for say a month leading up to it. Especially when the fine is something ridiculous like $180/day (as per DH - I have no idea)

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to M'LadyEm For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (09-08-2016),teenie  (09-08-2016)