+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 23 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I disagree @witherwings
    He might be encouraging people not to provide their names but he's not telling them not to give their statistical data.

rainbow road is offline look at the stars, look how they shine for you
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Interesting opinion from former head of ABS.

In short: he thinks it's wrong to make provision of name and address compulsory because it's an invasion of privacy and no statistics can be compiled from someone's name, therefore it's in breach of the census act.

https://independentaustralia.net/lif...16-census,9279

3. The Following User Says Thank You to rainbow road For This Useful Post:

BornToBe  (09-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    @rainbow road - It's always been a requirement to provide your name and address hasn't it? The only difference now is that they retain the info for 4 years instead of 18 months.

I think nick Xenophon making the statement that privacy is an "inherent human right" is a bit rich. You can't compare the requirement to provide your name on a census form to things like slavery, freedom and rights to fair trial.. I mean, really, it seems like he is just trying to get publicity.
    @ExcuseMyFrench - don't you think you're blowing this privacy issue way out of proportion?

You know when you play Pokemon go, you have to agree to allow niantic to sell a wealth of data about you to 3rd parties? The app literally tracks all your movements, locations, has access to your phone data including contacts.. How are you playing this and talking about boycotting the census? I just think this is a bit hypocritical.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to witherwings For This Useful Post:

Alicia111  (09-08-2016),VicPark  (09-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default Census 2016

I never said I was boycotting census. I'm filling out a paper form, not doing it online. 🤔

And I guess the difference is I choose to give my information to niantic or Facebook, if I didn't want to then the option exists for me to not sign up.

Yes, you used to provide name and address on the previous censuses, but having your name and address details kept was previously opt in - now it is compulsory.

I simply shared the link because it was an interesting read and I thought others might appreciate reading it.

My issue with the census is that it doesn't provide an opportunity for me to accurately represent my family without having to jump through hoops, and frankly I think that's a perfectly legitimate reason for me to be annoyed about it. But I literally not once have said I am boycotting the census at all.

ETA: I didn't realise you addressed the Pokemon go to EMF... Whoops. Answered anyway! Ha
    Last edited by rainbow road; 09-08-2016 at 08:02.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rainbow road For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard  (09-08-2016),onionskin  (09-08-2016),smallpotatoes  (09-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'm not sure what the worry with privacy is. Almost all the information I provided the government already know.

Income, workplace, hours worked from ATO. Then there is local council rates, births deaths and marriages, Centrelink, Medicare. I appreciate they aren't all linked but the info is already out there.

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mummymaybe For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (09-08-2016),babyno1onboard  (09-08-2016),Chippa  (09-08-2016),Mod-Zeddie  (09-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    @witherwings when I play Pokemon Go I use a separate account that is not linked to my real name or real email address.
    I don't care that Niantic knows that Player 56267 goes there at that time, etc.

Im happy to provide all statistical info for the census - I don't think my name is one.

The fact that the former ABS boss is against the collection and RETENTION of addresses and names can't be ignored.

ABS doesn't say what they will do with the information and what they won't do. It's like giving them a blank cheque.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    @witherwings, this is the first year providing name details has been compulsory, as I said above. Previously, it was voluntary, and if you did provide it, it was kept for 18 months.

Privacy is an internationally recognised right. Can provide convention etc details later if you like. Sure, there may be a hierarchy of rights, but it doesn't mean privacy isn't one of them.

FWIW, I don't play Pokemon Go, and try to avoid apps etc that require too much personal information.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by A-Squared View Post
    This is why I have no issue with the census and giving our names....

When talking about one of the reasons they collect names = to link responses individuals give - eg how many children you have and how much domestic unpaid work you do - "The ABS uses a one way encryption process from name to an encrypted key, so it's a one way process. You can't go back from the key to name," Young told HuffPost Australia.

"And the reason we do that isn't because we have to do that. It is the best way to keep the data secure and to reserve privacy through the process."
    To the last few posters, did any of you read the article @Moxy posted or the excerpt I took from it and posted above?

Doesn't this null and void any fears about personal data being taken? If it's turned into an encrypted key, that's what is being kept for 4 years.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to A-Squared For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (09-08-2016),witherwings  (09-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    A genuine question here - what is it that people are worried might happen to the census data?

From my perspective unless the data could be used for someone to steal my identity I'm not overly fussed about the whole thing.

I thought the data was things like how many children you have, size of house, income, etc. Nothing juicy!

I understand for those hiding from a violent ex partner or something but what are others worried about?

It is such a contentious issue so I know that I'm missing something.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to babyno1onboard For This Useful Post:

LaDiDah  (09-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Census 2016

Deleted because I have to go out and cbf debating
    Last edited by rainbow road; 09-08-2016 at 08:38.