+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by atomicmama View Post
    If I was making a risk assessment, I would think a small town would be safer than a city. It would be more likely that people along the way would know your child and be keeping an eye on them for you.
    I live in inner city Melbourne and I don't think anywhere in a small town could be safer than where I live for kids to walk to school alone. Along the street towards the school where we walk there are literally hundreds of children and their families who walk the same way- including 5 families from my apartment building. From door to door there would be someone who knows my children looking out for them.
    Around here it's the norm for kids to walk alone from about grade 3, and for little kids to walk with older siblings from the end of prep.
    It's interesting how people think big cities are dangerous and that there's less of a community here. It's in fact just the opposite. I can't move up on the Main Street without bumping into someone I know!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My DDs came home from school the other day saying that they had been told if they are under 12 they can't walk home from school alone. Not sure what had bought that one.

I'm not sure what I think about it. I wouldn't let my DD9 walk home on her own, but DD12 I would definitely. But I would want her to let me know when she was leaving. Maybe I worry too much, I'm okay with that.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by FearlessLeader View Post
    I live in inner city Melbourne and I don't think anywhere in a small town could be safer than where I live for kids to walk to school alone. Along the street towards the school where we walk there are literally hundreds of children and their families who walk the same way- including 5 families from my apartment building. From door to door there would be someone who knows my children looking out for them.
    Around here it's the norm for kids to walk alone from about grade 3, and for little kids to walk with older siblings from the end of prep.
    It's interesting how people think big cities are dangerous and that there's less of a community here. It's in fact just the opposite. I can't move up on the Main Street without bumping into someone I know!
    Exactly the same here (except I don't live in Melbourne).
    I grew up in a country town and was never allowed to walk to school until highschool...primary school was a 30 minute walk away along a highway with no one we knew walking along it.
    My kids...living inner city...our school zone is small, which means we all know each other and there's kids walking to school in big groups, taking responsibility for younger siblings. My kids are far safer walking to school living inner city in 'this day and age' than I would have been walking to school in my country town in the 80's.
    We also can't go up the main street without seeing someone we know!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Candiceo View Post
    I was mostly referring to the highway situation. I grew up in a tiny town west of rockhampton. I walked to school from primary age but like most small towns it had a highway running through the middle of it. Luckily i didn't have to cross it because that would have been dangerous with the trucks etc.
    Ah that makes sense then.

Quote Originally Posted by Candiceo View Post
    Can i ask why this particular law upsets you so much?
    Was this intended for me?
    If so, I'm not upset by the law, or these parents being charged 😕 I even said earlier that I don't agree with a 5 year old walking alone.

However, I do wonder if parents are being charged (generally speaking, not these parents in particular) for genuinely thinking they've made the right decision, rather than just because they're careless.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Marchbundle View Post
    Times have changed. When my brother and I were in year 6 and 7, we had to walk around 2km into town to go to school. I look back now and think someone could have easily pulled over and grabbed us. I think parents being charged is a bit extreme but I think we have to be more aware these days. I grew up in the 80s which was a lot more care free but today, there's no way in hell I'd let my kids walk to school on their own.
    I don't think times have really changed though. Our perception has, and our awareness has thanks to complete media saturation, but the reality is that violent crime is actually on the decline. We just know so much more about the grisly details these days and it's terrifying.

I wish I had more courage to let my kids "free range" a little more but when I think about really high profile Australian cases in the last ten years, I can't help but be a bit of a smother mother. My kids are 5 & 3 though so hopefully we'll work out a way to teach them some street smarts/self defence skills before they are teens wanting freedom.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Marchbundle View Post
    Times have changed. When my brother and I were in year 6 and 7, we had to walk around 2km into town to go to school. I look back now and think someone could have easily pulled over and grabbed us. I think parents being charged is a bit extreme but I think we have to be more aware these days. I grew up in the 80s which was a lot more care free but today, there's no way in hell I'd let my kids walk to school on their own.
    Apart from an overall increase in population and therefore a greater quantity of people/incidents, I don't think things have changed much at all. I know an adult who was abducted walking home from primary school and my own brother had men in a van trying to lure him in with lollies (as had a few local kids) - back in the 80s in two different 'nice' suburbs.

The difference now is both of these incidents would have caused a social media frenzy. There's always been sickos and personally I'm a lot more worried about my children going on the internet unsupervised than walking to school in our town.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Stretched For This Useful Post:

HillDweller  (06-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hello,
    Yes, I have lived in this town and while it was (and in some ways still is) a lovely little place there have been massive changes. It now has a much larger transient population, higher unemployment rates , a plummeting housing market and there has most definitely been a rise in drug-related crime, particularly ice.

The police officers in question are well-regarded members of the community who have the community's support.

It is also worth pointing out that this law is not something new that they cooked up, it was already in existence.