+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    There are heaps of laws that are still in effect but in general common sense overrules. This is one of them - where it is necessary only for cases where parents need some reminding to not be lazy deadbeats.

I wouldn't worry about it if your child is a bit younger then 12 and you are confident that they are reasonably safe. No one is going to fine you unless you are sending your prep kid out alone to walk along the main highway.

Things are different in small towns compared to brisbane where public transport and suburban school neighborhoods are relatively safe places to be.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Candiceo View Post
    There are heaps of laws that are still in effect but in general common sense overrules. This is one of them - where it is necessary only for cases where parents need some reminding to not be lazy deadbeats.

I wouldn't worry about it if your child is a bit younger then 12 and you are confident that they are reasonably safe. No one is going to fine you unless you are sending your prep kid out alone to walk along the main highway.

Things are different in small towns compared to brisbane where public transport and suburban school neighborhoods are relatively safe places to be.
    If I was making a risk assessment, I would think a small town would be safer than a city. It would be more likely that people along the way would know your child and be keeping an eye on them for you.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by atomicmama View Post
    If I was making a risk assessment, I would think a small town would be safer than a city. It would be more likely that people along the way would know your child and be keeping an eye on them for you.
    This is how I feel. My eldest at the age of 3 would walk down the road alone from the post office to the library - all of 200m - and no way would I feel comfortable with this in the city.

Thanks
    Reviews
    THERE WAS DR PHIL show about situations like this where parents were charged for a child 14 or under being left unsupervised for short times or longer periods

one was in the car or sent out to the shop with the parent just a some 7 metres away and so dr phil was causing for using reason and logic with these laws.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I tend to think there is more info to this story that we don't know about. Sure, a 9,10, 11 year old in a small town should be able to walk to school on their own in normal circumstances. But for them to make this rule, I wonder if there are other issues or irresponsible parents letting very young children walk around alone? I remembwr a thread on here a while ago with themes around free range vs helicopter parenting, and one parent bragging that she allows her 4 year old to walk alone down the road to the corner shop, buy something, & walk back alone. Only a 5 min trip, and she was saying how great it was that her child was so independent. I just think some parents can't use common sense and understand that 4 is not a reasonable ago for a child to be travelling alone. Perhaps that'a what was happening & they just had to make a blanket 'over 12' rule?

6. The Following User Says Thank You to cheeeeesecake For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (05-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by atomicmama View Post
    I was mostly referring to the highway situation. I grew up in a tiny town west of rockhampton. I walked to school from primary age but like most small towns it had a highway running through the middle of it. Luckily i didn't have to cross it because that would have been dangerous with the trucks etc.
    Last edited by Candiceo; 05-08-2016 at 22:05.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Can i ask why this particular law upsets you so much?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by cheeeeesecake View Post
    I tend to think there is more info to this story that we don't know about. Sure, a 9,10, 11 year old in a small town should be able to walk to school on their own in normal circumstances. But for them to make this rule, I wonder if there are other issues or irresponsible parents letting very young children walk around alone? I remembwr a thread on here a while ago with themes around free range vs helicopter parenting, and one parent bragging that she allows her 4 year old to walk alone down the road to the corner shop, buy something, & walk back alone. Only a 5 min trip, and she was saying how great it was that her child was so independent. I just think some parents can't use common sense and understand that 4 is not a reasonable ago for a child to be travelling alone. Perhaps that'a what was happening & they just had to make a blanket 'over 12' rule?
    Totally agree. There was probably a case of a parent (or two) making a really really stupid decision (letting 6 year old walk to school alone because they wanted to go 'free range') and the local authorities having to draw a line. So they free the line at 12, however have no intention of prosecuting the parents of a 12 year old walking to school unless there are really exceptional circumstances.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

cheeeeesecake  (06-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have kids under 12 who walk to school, we live in an inner city suburb...I am not concerned about being charged at all. Common sense prevails.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Times have changed. When my brother and I were in year 6 and 7, we had to walk around 2km into town to go to school. I look back now and think someone could have easily pulled over and grabbed us. I think parents being charged is a bit extreme but I think we have to be more aware these days. I grew up in the 80s which was a lot more care free but today, there's no way in hell I'd let my kids walk to school on their own.