+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Census - donor info required for donor conceived children

Heads up for others who have donor conceived children. Just found out that the census is asking for country of birth details of the biological other half of all children (not just the details of where the legal parents were born).

So if you have used donor eggs or sperm, by law you are required to provide information about the donor.

http://help.census.abs.gov.au/help/answer/cultural

" This information is collected from everybody, even children whose parents have already provided their country of birth. This avoids making assumptions about family relationships."

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Thanks @Candiceo. I hadn't thought about this at all.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Cabdiceo I called census helpline as I am a sole parent of donor conceived twins. They said that I did not need to put any details under the father as they don't have one. Let me know if anyone else has had different advice.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    I will be putting down what is on DDs birth certificate (which is my DH). If it's good enough for birth, deaths and marriages it's more than good enough for the census.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by DJ Nette View Post
    I will be putting down what is on DDs birth certificate (which is my DH). If it's good enough for birth, deaths and marriages it's more than good enough for the census.
    This is my thoughts as well. Feels a bit wrong putting details under 'father' when legally that person isn't the child's 'father'.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I wouldnt be mentioning a thing about it, can't see how they would know or find out.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by stacey10 View Post
    I wouldnt be mentioning a thing about it, can't see how they would know or find out.
    Wellll, the children of @Candiceo and i have two mums each... so.... they might guess there's been other involvement ☺ I will look at the wording carefully on the night, as my bub doesn't have a 'father' - he has a donor.

I might start a general thread on the census later.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by JustJaq View Post
    Wellll, the children of @Candiceo and i have two mums each... so.... they might guess there's been other involvement ☺ I will look at the wording carefully on the night, as my bub doesn't have a 'father' - he has a donor.

I might start a general thread on the census later.
    Let me know what you find out. I sent an online request for info asking about what is required for 2 mum families. Looks like there is no option for couples in civil unions/civil partnerships either. Your either single, married, divorced or defacto. This bothers me as well.
    Last edited by Candiceo; 05-08-2016 at 18:03.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Candiceo For This Useful Post:

catemer  (06-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Candiceo View Post
    Let me know what you find out. I sent an online request for info asking about what is required for 2 mum families. Looks like there is no option for couples in civil unions/civil partnerships either. Your either single, married, divorced or defacto. This bothers me as well.
    I emailed and asked. I was told to record the details of donor as parent 2 and to fill in "to the best of your knowledge". And that I, the non birth mother, was not parent 2.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to catemer For This Useful Post:

katiana  (07-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by catemer View Post
    I emailed and asked. I was told to record the details of donor as parent 2 and to fill in "to the best of your knowledge". And that I, the non birth mother, was not parent 2.
    Well that's totally insensitive. Especially to expect to put donor details under the label of parent and also to think that cultural inheritance comes from dna and not from the surrounding extended family that is raising the child.