+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default Awesome breastfeeding article

This article just popped up in my newsfeed and it is awesome at explaining milk production and why we need to stop obsessing about how long our baby can go between feeds. Such a helpful article in helping you realize that there is nothing wrong with your breasts or your baby if they need to feed frequently.

https://blogs.unicef.org.uk/2016/08/...ding-interval/

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to HollyGolightly81 For This Useful Post:

binnielici  (04-08-2016),gingermillie  (04-08-2016),Little Miss Sunshine  (04-08-2016),Mad84  (04-08-2016),olismumma  (04-08-2016),SookiLala  (04-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by HollyGolightly81 View Post
    This article just popped up in my newsfeed and it is awesome at explaining milk production and why we need to stop obsessing about how long our baby can go between feeds. Such a helpful article in helping you realize that there is nothing wrong with your breasts or your baby if they need to feed frequently.

https://blogs.unicef.org.uk/2016/08/...ding-interval/
    Thanks @HollyGolightly81 👍

I'm not concerned second time around. I just feed whenever. It works. But as a ftm and a small baby I was obsessed, and received lots of unhelpful and outdated advice, lots of judgement too for feeding so often. At least I know it does end eventually

Eta: and being an A cup some of the comments were revolting- such as how can I feed my babies with such small boobs 😱
    Last edited by Little Miss Sunshine; 04-08-2016 at 06:49.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Little Miss Sunshine For This Useful Post:

HollyGolightly81  (04-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    It's a great article isn't, I read it last night as I was getting frustrated with ds2 and it help keep it all in perspective. I've always demand fed, mostly because I felt I didn't confidently know if they were genuinely hungry or thirsty so couldn't bring myself to try and stretch out the feeds. There's also so much crappy advice from professionals out there that it's no wonder so many women end up not being able to feed at all or for long. I feel I had a leg up because I was a nanny and a doula so for the most part I knew when to roll my eyes and where to seek better advice but there are so many new moms that depend on their particular health professional to be giving them good advice and so many do not. This article should be handed out, it's reassuring and gives you perspective of what's happening which then enables you to feel less anxious that something is wrong and to change your expectations.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I needed this article right now to read. Boost my confidence a bit as BF this time Round isn't going aswell as the 1st

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DH actually showed me this last night. I am feeling a bit stressed about breastfeeding DS3 (due in next couple of weeks). I definitely have limited storage capacity and it led to DS2 feeding hourly 24/7 for over a year - he didn't take to solids and is still a fussy eater.

So yes it is a good article to put it back in perspective again. I've bookmarked it so I can read it again in the midst of my likely sleep deprivation!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to binnielici For This Useful Post:

HollyGolightly81  (04-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by binnielici View Post
    My DH actually showed me this last night. I am feeling a bit stressed about breastfeeding DS3 (due in next couple of weeks). I definitely have limited storage capacity and it led to DS2 feeding hourly 24/7 for over a year - he didn't take to solids and is still a fussy eater.

So yes it is a good article to put it back in perspective again. I've bookmarked it so I can read it again in the midst of my likely sleep deprivation!
    Just letting you know (but you probably already do) that breastfeeding frequently and lack of interest in solids has nothing to do with fussy eating. As you know my dd1 is awful with eating (and I can already see dd2 heading down a similar path at 9 months!) but her 2 cousins who were formula fed are exactly the same.

I did things differently with dd2- baby led weaning, a large variety of foods at every meal- but even now she's still starting to refuse all the things that dd1 won't eat. Her diet is becoming more and more limited by the day. So I'm more realising that it's not my fault or parenting style. More genetics at play as she's tiny too.
    Last edited by Little Miss Sunshine; 04-08-2016 at 17:46.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Little Miss Sunshine For This Useful Post:

binnielici  (04-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by binnielici View Post

Ds1 regularly fed two hourly for months, sometimes he's go longer but it was rare. I wish somebody had told me it was totally normal, that no it didn't mean it was a bad habit I had instilled by always 'giving in' to feeding him. It's definitely worth knowing that 1) your breasts are never 'empty' and 2) your breasts are constantly making milk, so there is always something. But also how the frequent feeding means they're able to get that fattier milk. I've saved it as well, 10 weeks in and although it's easier, he'll occasionally do longer stretches, it's still hard how often he feeds sometimes.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to HollyGolightly81 For This Useful Post:

binnielici  (04-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    @Little Miss Sunshine oh I know. He's just super fussy and not that interested in food. Like you I did BLW but it hasn't made him the fabulous water I had hoped lol
    @HollyGolightly81 it is definitely reassuring to know they're getting the fattier milk with the frequent feeds. It's just so hard when others around you are harping on about 'you' creating bad habits, or how well their baby sleeps - and you're standing there with bloodshot eyes and nips that feel like they've been shredded with razor blades! 😏

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to binnielici For This Useful Post:

HollyGolightly81  (04-08-2016),Little Miss Sunshine  (04-08-2016)

hakuna matata is offline The artist formerly know as babyhopeful
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Great article! It's so hard not to feel like you've failed when they feed frequently. I've often said, a little irritated, how can you be hungry again so soon! It really is about more than food.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by hakuna matata View Post
    Great article! It's so hard not to feel like you've failed when they feed frequently. I've often said, a little irritated, how can you be hungry again so soon! It really is about more than food.
    I shouted at 4am the other morning 'what do you want from me?!'

17. The Following User Says Thank You to HollyGolightly81 For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Sunshine  (04-08-2016)