+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I echo others with regard to health cover. If you decide to go private, it's bloody expensive. Your monthly premiums are quite high, plus another 4-6k for an OB, another 6-700 on scans and pre-natal testing, up to 2k in hospital fees (epidural etc). It's insane. I went private with DS, and while I loved my OB and the "security" of private with my first birth, I'd go public with any subsequent children.

I'm pregnant with my second, and while I won't be in Australia when I deliver, I'm doing shared GP care. My total out of pocked with be 2 scans and NIPT.

Baby "stuff" is another story. I spent a ridiculous amount on DS, and it while lovely stuff, wouldn't do it again. He has a $1300 cot, baby 2 is getting the ikea one for $200. Same with the dresser.

I would invest in a decent carrier (~200) and a pram you love. Don't bother buying a bassinet, see if you can hire one since they are in them for so little time. I'd also skip the capsule, and invest in a car seat that will go from newborn to 4.

eBay and Gumtree are great places to pick up bargains.

Good luck!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to ilex For This Useful Post:

Pinklise  (04-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ilex View Post
    I echo others with regard to health cover. If you decide to go private, it's bloody expensive. Your monthly premiums are quite high, plus another 4-6k for an OB, another 6-700 on scans and pre-natal testing, up to 2k in hospital fees (epidural etc). It's insane. I went private with DS, and while I loved my OB and the "security" of private with my first birth, I'd go public with any subsequent children.

I'm pregnant with my second, and while I won't be in Australia when I deliver, I'm doing shared GP care. My total out of pocked with be 2 scans and NIPT.

Baby "stuff" is another story. I spent a ridiculous amount on DS, and it while lovely stuff, wouldn't do it again. He has a $1300 cot, baby 2 is getting the ikea one for $200. Same with the dresser.

I would invest in a decent carrier (~200) and a pram you love. Don't bother buying a bassinet, see if you can hire one since they are in them for so little time. I'd also skip the capsule, and invest in a car seat that will go from newborn to 4.

eBay and Gumtree are great places to pick up bargains.

Good luck!
    I went private with my 3 and wouldn't have had it any other way. Only ever had 1 $800 out of pocket to pay for my ob during that time and never had any out of pocket for the 3 epidurals I have had and minimal out of pocket for scans which are covered under medicare anyway not private health. Never had any hospital fees that private health didn't cover ever either. For a few hundred dollars a month having private health has been well worth it.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Blessedwith3boys For This Useful Post:

mim  (04-08-2016),Pinklise  (04-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think with your first bub you buy everything because you think you need it but you soon realise you don't. I stored the main items such as cot, baby bath, portacot etc when ds1 was finished and used for ds2 and then ds3. Smaller items such as toys and clothes I only kept what I really wanted or felt was needed. I really bought minimal for ds2 and ds3.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Blessedwith3boys For This Useful Post:

Pinklise  (04-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    As everyone else has said it varies hugely. My advice would be research things well and invest your money wisely in good quality things that will last. Hold off buying as much as you can til after bub is born as once that little person is here you'll have a much better idea of what they like and what suits your lifestyle.
    An example. My DD is on her third car seat in 13 months. First one for some reason she screamed in for the first 3 months so we got a new one which solved the problem but then that wasn't an extended rear facing seat and I didn't really know about that too much when DD was younger and really just wanted to stop the screaming. So now I have just bought a britax millennia on sale for $480 which I baulked at when initially looking at seats before she was born but I wish I had bought it then. So yeah I've made some bad purchases!
    I also spent a ton of money while I was struggling the first few months - multiple types of bottles trying to get her to take one, multiple styles of swaddles and sleep bags, sleeping baby books etc. also I wasted so much buying clothes before she was born then she was premature and never wore those clothes (000 and 00 size) as by the time she fit it was summer and they were winter clothes! So don't buy too much. It can be hard to resist. I have still stuffed up buying clothes next size up that don't end up fitting at the right time
    I would also disagree that babies cost more before they're born. Yes you have the initial set up costs but these actually aren't too bad (eg we got our cot brand new on clearance for $99!) but now she is 13 months old she is costing us $100 a week just in nappies, wipes, food, swimming lessons and gymbaroo classes. Add in $100 out of pocket costs for 2 days of childcare she's costing us $200 a week and I'm only back at work 2 days. So for us the definite hit financially was me going back to work part time and it's amazing how much food a little person can consume.
    I'd be looking at saving as much as you can to provide a financial buffer for the hit to your income, don't worry so much about the 'stuff' as this can be as cheap or extravagant as you want.
    If you want to have baby privately (I did, loved it and wouldn't go public in my situation) you'll need private insurance with maternity cover for 12 months before baby is born. So get it now and wait 3 months to conceive and you'll be covered (i.e you don't need it for 12 months before you conceive just 12 months before the birth). You'll have out of pocket costs still if you go private but these vary dramatically from a couple of grand up to 10. My out of pocket costs were about $4k.
    Good luck great you're thinking about it so early!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to gingermillie For This Useful Post:

Pinklise  (04-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Really depends... we spent nothing on prenatal care, the birth or after care.
    We spent about 8K doing the nursery and getting bits and pieces.
    We were gifted clothing from ages newborn to 3 years.... about 20K worth of clothing.

5 months in and we have spent about $10 pw on nappies and wipes (aldi), and $30 on formula. Food bill increased on average (since pre preg) by about $50 per fortnight- between preg snacking, trying to bf and being hungry all the time, and now just grab n go food being so busy.

I just bought my first lot of 6-12m clothing and spent $600 (H then bleached them... so have to replace!). As I said, we already have some.

I'm sure there is so much more that I haven't thought of.

Make sure you can live off one income!
    That is what I missed out on planning. Thank god for PPL.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to DT75 For This Useful Post:

Pinklise  (04-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Saving for first baby

Quote Originally Posted by Pinklise View Post
    I'm a massive planner/organizer type person and know I want to start trying next year to have a baby.

What would ideally be a ballpark figure to have saved by the time bub comes along? I really have no idea what things cost.

Thanks
    Save as much as you can. You can never save too much: anything left over can go against your mortgage or into a savings account.

You can also never prepare yourself for all the things you'll need or what your baby will need, or what parenting will be like, or what your pregnancy will be like.. so it's kind of hard to "plan" ahead, particularly when you haven't started Ttc yet. That might be a long journey in itself or you might get pregnant right away.

If you're planning to go private, you'll need an additional few thousand $ at least, just for the antenatal costs.

You only need to buy the essentials before baby comes, and then get all the other bits and bobs later. You'll have plenty of time and opportunities to take Bub out for shopping expeditions, so don't worry about having to have everything ready. You really don't need more than a cot or bassinet, a pram, a car seat and some basic clothes.

If you're planning to have a baby shower, you will get a lot of gifts from friends and family. Things like swaddles, bottles, toys, blankets & linen, towels, clothing, books.. All that sort of stuff is usually gifted. You can supplement this with additional purchases after Bub comes.

If you're planning to buy a bunch of clothes, I suggest not to wash them until after baby comes, except for a handful of essentials, so you can size up if you need to (assuming the store has an exchange policy within the time frame you need).

Lastly, some things which aren't essential but can be exxy but super useful: a breast pump, a baby carrier (my fave is an ergo) and a love to dream swaddle.

Good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    We've been putting extra aside for the mortgage so that when I am on mat leave there is already money there.

I'm trying to save $10,000 for buying stuff and medical appointments. I've also been getting a few things passed down to me. I'm at the stage now where any money is better than none.

Our aim has tried to limit stress when we lose an income.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Yogis Mumma For This Useful Post:

Pinklise  (04-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    We saved around $25k by the time bub had arrived. It was really important to me to be able to take 12 months off work. We made the decision to not start trying for a baby until we had the finance part sorted out. It has made life much less stressful not worrying about how we will be paying the mortgage.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to ames1988 For This Useful Post:

Pinklise  (04-08-2016)