+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I mean that everyone struggling or who has used IVF usually jumps down my throat when I say sometimes it's not meant to be?

Tasmania is highly religious and a bit backward I found) but very helpful. I have close friends from the church but I'm not reliving I don't know this lady.

Has anyone even thought of disabilities? Being older etc...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Miss Sunshine View Post
    Mick jagger is having a baby at 72. His partner is 29.
    Actually there are a lot of jokes about both being in nappies

At least the mother is young. I suspect he will be a largely absent father anyway. And he has a bucket load of cash and I'm sure she'll have a large support network.
    I saw online that they don't even live in the same country. She is American !

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by monnie24 View Post
    I mean that everyone struggling or who has used IVF usually jumps down my throat when I say sometimes it's not meant to be?

Tasmania is highly religious and a bit backward I found) but very helpful. I have close friends from the church but I'm not reliving I don't know this lady.

Has anyone even thought of disabilities? Being older etc...
    When you say "it's not meant to be" to someone doing IVF, you need to appreciate that it's an insensitive comment and hard to take from someone who may not have had the same fertility struggles. Maybe that's why "IVF people" jump down your throat?

Look I actually have the same concerns about the woman's longevity and ability to care for the child at such an age. But where she's one draw the line with IVF? It's a difficult thing to understand if you've never had to use it, but trust me it's not an easy road and for some people the desire to have a child over rules any sort of logic. Do we close IVF off to people with disabilities too? How about those with genetic or other conditions which shortens ones lifespan?

My point is that it's a tricky area bit certainly people calling this woman "selfish" and other such statements is unhelpful. This is a public forum. What if she, as a new mum, wanted to come here and seek help or advice?

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MsViking For This Useful Post:

delirium  (04-08-2016),Lyla77  (04-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Sorry but if someone is told no in Australia then um? Maybe she should be charged....

I don't say it out loud 😁 I just think it because I know these things are personal etc I can't imagine the struggle? Unless I have been there.... It's like someone telling me to just eat healthy but I can't so I'm having weightloss surgery. I hope that makes sense to you.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to monnie24 For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (04-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default 63 year old gives birth

I don't normally express my strong opinions on here but your comments are insensitive and naive @monnie24.

I struggled to fall pregnant for 5 years... If I had listened to ignorant comments like yours (sometimes people shouldn't have babies) I wouldn't have my 2 babies that I somehow won the lotto with.

This is besides the 63 year old new mother. This is clearly an extreme case that no one knows all the details. She's made her bed, she's going to have to sleep in it (and possibly have her toddler help her in to it)
    Last edited by Olive Oil; 04-08-2016 at 09:02.

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Olive Oil For This Useful Post:

Charlie74  (04-08-2016),Lyla77  (04-08-2016),MsViking  (04-08-2016),Radio  (04-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Olive Oil View Post
    I don't normally express my strong opinions on her but your comments are insensitive and naive @monnie24.

I struggled to fall pregnant for 5 years... If I had listened to ignorant comments like yours (sometimes people shouldn't have babies) I wouldn't have my 2 babies that I somehow won the lotto with.

This besides the 63 year old new mother. This is clearly an extreme case that no one knows all the details. She's made her bed, she's going to have to sleep in it (and possibly have her toddler help her in to it)
    Ooorrr... she made the bed, her child is going to lie in it? The consequences of the decision dont fall on her. They fall on the child.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to cheeeeesecake For This Useful Post:

BlondeinBrisvegas  (04-08-2016),Olive Oil  (04-08-2016),Sonja  (04-08-2016),VicPark  (04-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Most likely

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    I don't want to take the thread further off track, but my eye twitches when I hear people talk about IVF and how 'clearly it wasn't meant to be' (naturally having a baby so therefore IVF is wrong/unnatural.)

So let's run with that line of reasoning shall we? Do people that feel this way ever use antibiotics, medicine? Have they ever had a procedure done? Had drs save your life? Why? Shouldn't you just be trusting nature? 95% of our lives are 'unnatural' when you actually think about it. We never went to IVF (mainly bc we couldn't afford it and were too far from clinics) but I know the pain of infertility very well. These comments are rude and lacking in empathy.

13. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (04-08-2016),besha  (05-08-2016),binnielici  (04-08-2016),DT75  (04-08-2016),Little Miss Sunshine  (04-08-2016),MsViking  (04-08-2016),Olive Oil  (04-08-2016),rusty22  (04-08-2016),Sonja  (04-08-2016),Tinkers  (04-08-2016),WinterJade  (04-08-2016),Wise Enough  (04-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by ilex View Post
    Agree.

What if they have a support system in place for when they are unable to care for the child? A close friend or relative who may know the child for their entire life. This this make it any less selfish?

People need to stop judging. This thread is really showing how ugly some people are.
    No it doesn't make a difference to me.

I've watched first hand as many of us have children growing up without parents. It sucks. No matter what the support it sucks. This baby will grow into adulthood without either parent around. And that's a fact.

I think that's sad. I'm amazed others think well it's fine if there's a back up.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (04-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    I don't think it's fine, I actually worry about lots of the issues being raised here. I guess I'm just concerned where this takes us if we say she shouldn't have had the baby. Bc in my mind there are lots of groups that face different but paralleled issues (like disability, mental health).

Part of me says she's too old, what happens to the child when they die? Then another voice says but what about the mum who has battled depression. Should she never have kids bc someone else will need to raise them?

17. The Following User Says Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

MsViking  (04-08-2016)