+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I think good on her and she will make a good a mum as any probably a better mother than many. Plenty of grandmothers look after their grandchildren so no different. Who is anyone to judge!

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Blessedwith3boys For This Useful Post:

AceOfBase  (04-08-2016),MsViking  (03-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default 63 year old gives birth

I think a lot of people are making assumptions about their wellbeing. My in-laws are in their early 60s and are in excellent physical and mental health. They both exercise 4-5 days per week (and I'm talking proper exercise like cycling, spinning, weight lifting etc not casual walking), and they do challenging treks all over the world with people often half their age.

While a newborn of their own is probably the last thing on earth they want, they would be perfectly capable of managing.

That's not to say they'll be this fit in 20 years, but I reckon they'll keep this up for another 10 years at least.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ilex For This Useful Post:

AceOfBase  (04-08-2016),MsViking  (03-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by ilex View Post
    That's not to say they'll be this fit in 20 years, but I reckon they'll keep this up for another 10 years at least.
    Phew, that's comforting! "son, don't worry. I'll be alive until you're 10, at least".

6. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to cheeeeesecake For This Useful Post:

BlondeinBrisvegas  (04-08-2016),FearlessLeader  (03-08-2016),Full House  (03-08-2016),piratehamster88  (04-08-2016),skye76  (04-08-2016),VicPark  (03-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by cheeeeesecake View Post
    Phew, that's comforting! "son, don't worry. I'll be alive until you're 10, at least".
    Truthfully I'm on the fence with this one.

I was simply pointing out that 63 does not equal Alzheimer's and wheelchairs.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to ilex For This Useful Post:

MsViking  (03-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    For those who say it's just like a grandparent raising their grandchild - no, it's nothing like that. When a grandparent raises their grandchild, the child is already born, and is in need of care. That is totally different from someone CHOOSING to bring a child into the world, knowing that you are the age of some great-grandparents, and will be unlikely to see the child into adulthood.

10. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to cheeeeesecake For This Useful Post:

BlondeinBrisvegas  (04-08-2016),FearlessLeader  (03-08-2016),skye76  (04-08-2016),SSecret Squirrel  (03-08-2016),SuperGranny  (04-08-2016),VicPark  (03-08-2016),Wise Enough  (03-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I'm the type of person that thinks some times you just shouldn't have kids...... Yes that sounds harsh and I know the IVF people will slam me. I know I am blessed with my two beautiful children and I am VERY lucky.... But to go outside of Australia when you were told no here? Are you serious.....

There are thousands of kids needing help for foster they could of helped ffs!!

I don't see it right or healthy for the child. And I don't think 'oh parents die blah blah' that statement is stupid. Because lots of the time kids don't end up with grandparents because I know mine won't be. They will be living with my best friend who is 25 years old.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I wish them all the best, and am saddened that it has taken them until now to get their baby...

BUT, I think it is selfish. I think there should be an age limit. What that should be, I am not sure, but personally, I feel 45 is pushing it.

63 and 78? No. Selfish.

I have no doubt they will love the child and do everything they can- like most parents. But I cannot comprehend it. Easy to say from my 27 years of life though.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by RedCreamingSoda View Post
    I'm really interested in people who refer to this as a "selfish" decision. Don't all of us who chose to have kids do it for selfish reasons???? What reason is there except that we want one? So we try to have one.
    (Genuine question)
    I did it for my husband. Genuine regret.

Not the baby, love her, but doing it for that reason.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I feel for the child and think the parents are incredibly selfish.
    I know no one knows when they will pass but having a child when you know you don't have too many years left just screams self centred and selfish to me.
    I lost my mother quite young and it still hurts years on. I missed out on so much, endured pain beyond my years, saw things and watched my mother suffer. All things a child should never see.
    A child should live in hope that their parents will be around well into their adulthood not grow up knowing they don't have too many good years left.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Lincolns mummy For This Useful Post:

BlondeinBrisvegas  (04-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    This is a really tricky one. I'm not sure where I stand on it but for those that say she's too old... my question would be, where do you draw the line? Is when your own eggs are too old to use? If so, what about those in their late 30's or 40's that have been told their eggs are simply too old or that they no longer have enough. Does that mean their bio clock is up and that's the universe saying they don't have enough life in them to raise a child? Does that mean people travelling overseas for donor eggs when theirs are too old should be stopped? What if someone is still deemed to be young by society but their eggs are too old to conceive. Should technology jump in to save the day or should that woman be told she's missed her shot because that's what her body has decided.

I want to be in clear in saying that's not my opinion - just all questions I'm curious about now.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TortoiseNotTheHare For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard  (04-08-2016),MsViking  (03-08-2016)