+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My friend lost her husband at 35 her kids were 2 and 4. You can die at any age. I don't know, it's a blurred line for me. Especially if people are desperate to have children of their own. I'm not sure what your support network would be at that age. But I do know that love is love and the child will love the mother regardless of age. I would rather have a child brought into the world who is loved and cherished than who is brought into the world by people who are full of hate and anger who are young.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to moosey For This Useful Post:

HillDweller  (03-08-2016),MsViking  (03-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Mod-Degrassi View Post
    Yes, that is fair. I still feel that people are being really ageist when they suggest people over 60 shouldn't be raising young children because they might die soon.

I'm unsure why people are so harsh on this topic to be honest. I'd rather see a mature woman have a much wanted and loved baby than see some young parent irresponsibly having children they don't really want, then in turn neglect, because they can't be bothered being responsible for their own fertility.
    Because it's not about them it's about the child who will grow up without parents. Let's face it her father is 78. Realistically how long will he be involved in her life no matter how loving he is?

It's a fallacious argument to say because there are unwanted and unloved babies born every day anyone who will love their baby should be allowed to have one. There are large social and economic issues around older people (and I mean over 60s) having babies.

I'm not taking anything away from grandparents who raise their grandchildren. But honestly how many of them wouldn't happily hand them back to parents who could do it themselves.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

Full House  (03-08-2016),SuperGranny  (03-08-2016),VicPark  (03-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    Because it's not about them it's about the child who will grow up without parents. Let's face it her father is 78. Realistically how long will he be involved in her life no matter how loving he is?

It's a fallacious argument to say because there are unwanted and unloved babies born every day anyone who will love their baby should be allowed to have one. There are large social and economic issues around older people (and I mean over 60s) having babies.

I'm not taking anything away from grandparents who raise their grandchildren. But honestly how many of them wouldn't happily hand them back to parents who could do it themselves.
    Yeah, but grandparents have done the child rearing years. They have brought up children of their own so that stage of their life is over.
    These are parents not grandparents. They haven't had the privilege of raising children yet.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by moosey View Post
    Yeah, but grandparents have done the child rearing years. They have brought up children of their own so that stage of their life is over.
    These are parents not grandparents. They haven't had the privilege of raising children yet.
    Not sure why you quoted me. I completely agree.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I noticed the article did not mention whether the family had other children?

My opinion is that obviously this family were yearning for a child, and who am I to tell them they cannot? If they had been trying for 20, 30 plus years, that is. We see so many people on here trying in vain to conceive, I admire this couples courage not to give up.

BUT, if they had other children with whom they could dote on and had the potential for grandchildren, that is when I would deem them selfish.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Nomia For This Useful Post:

MsViking  (03-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    The Sydney morning herald said it was her first child. Not sure about him.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

Nomia  (03-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm really interested in people who refer to this as a "selfish" decision. Don't all of us who chose to have kids do it for selfish reasons???? What reason is there except that we want one? So we try to have one.
    (Genuine question)

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RedCreamingSoda For This Useful Post:

HillDweller  (03-08-2016),MsViking  (03-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by RedCreamingSoda View Post
    I'm really interested in people who refer to this as a "selfish" decision. Don't all of us who chose to have kids do it for selfish reasons???? What reason is there except that we want one? So we try to have one.
    (Genuine question)
    Interesting question. For me I think children have a right to know their parents. And I don't think we truly "know" them until we're adults ourselves. Will this couple be alive when she's in her 20s? Highly unlikely. Honestly I think it's sad for her that she won't know her parents and that they won't be there for her and for her own children (assuming she has a traditional life herself).

I know parents can die. I know parents abandon kids every day and not everyone gets to have this anyway. For me however it's a guarantee that she isn't going to have parents around when she's older. And I think that's selfish.

14. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

buterfly  (03-08-2016),Evee16  (05-08-2016),FearlessLeader  (03-08-2016),JR03  (03-08-2016),Little Miss Sunshine  (03-08-2016),Molros  (03-08-2016),VicPark  (03-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    The Sydney morning herald said it was her first child. Not sure about him.
    It did too, my apologies.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    That's physically amazing. Morally, I dunno, I am on the fence. Really, shouldn't the onus be on the professionals providing the service? We all know how strong that baby fever can be. But to actually fall and carry a child a 63 requires "unnatural" intervention (sorry for that term, not sure how else to put it) and that has to externally provided. So... I'm conflicted. And I hold no judgement toward the actual mum.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to BornToBe For This Useful Post:

MsViking  (03-08-2016)