+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    No it's an opinion piece he wrote himself.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Oh right, is it online anywhere?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (04-08-2016),binnielici  (04-08-2016),Frankenmum  (04-08-2016),Phony  (04-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    What he's saying makes total sense to me but when you're boarding a plane at 63 to go get IVF in another country, all sense has long flown out the window.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Phony For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (04-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    Good article. Hadn't thought of the rights of society before.

Society has a right to not have to fund the raising of a child because the parents for whatever reason chose to have a child at retirement age. The parents should have to self fund (without any pension) the child's upbringing until the age of 18. That will put mum at 80 and dad at 96. If they can't support their kid until then either via savings or working, then IMO they have officially earned the 'have selfishly rorted the public' tag.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

GlitterFarts  (04-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    Good article. Hadn't thought of the rights of society before.

Society has a right to not have to fund the raising of a child because the parents for whatever reason chose to have a child at retirement age. The parents should have to self fund (without any pension) the child's upbringing until the age of 18. That will put mum at 80 and dad at 96. If they can't support their kid until then either via savings or working, then IMO they have officially earned the 'have selfishly rorted the public' tag.
    Playing devils advocate does that mean that those who are on welfare of any kind shouldn't have children? What about all those that that are on the dole and having children that they can't afford? Technically society picks the bill up for them too...

10. The Following User Says Thank You to TortoiseNotTheHare For This Useful Post:

MsViking  (04-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by TortoiseNotTheHare View Post
    Playing devils advocate does that mean that those who are on welfare of any kind shouldn't have children? What about all those that that are on the dole and having children that they can't afford? Technically society picks the bill up for them too...
    I don't necessarily think so.
    For me there is a difference. Not sure how to explain it. Perhaps if the oldies had a kid earlier (done the overseas IVF earlier) then maybe they could have been in a position to fund their kid themselves. To have a kid when you are at retirement age (unless you are a millionaire) is a different kettle of fish.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default 63 year old gives birth

I think alot has been left out the article to allow people to form an accurate opinion based on all of the facts. I can see both sides of the coin.

But doesnt it essentially come down to the fact that it shouldn't matter what age you are, if you want a child, it is no one else's right to judge or refuse. How is it any different to a 14 year old having a baby and possibly needing help to raise her child?

This woman may have a huge support network on hand, especially as she gets older. She may have legal guardians already chosen and im sure she would have had to participate in some form of counselling through her IVF clinic?

At the end of the day, none of us know when our time will be up and she may just want to experience having a child and raising it for however long she has left on this earth.

I think there are far worse conditions that a child could be brought into.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MrsMummaButterfly For This Useful Post:

bezzy  (04-08-2016),Blessedwith3boys  (08-08-2016),MsViking  (04-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by MrsMummaButterfly View Post
    At the end of the day, none of us know when our time will be up and she may just want to experience having a child and raising it for however long she has left on this earth.
    I think this hit the nail on the head. I also think it's the main reason the parents are selfish - doing it for themselves regardless of the possible ****ty life heir child will have not having parents around when they are a teenager/moving into young adulthood.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    An interesting comment from a reader on mamamia.

"This article forgets the rights of the child. As someone whose mum had me at an older age (she was 46 and I was naturally conceived, the youngest of 9) I can honestly say it is tough! Whilst I love my mum and would never trade her for the world, growing up I hated people thinking at times she was my grandmother as most of my friend's grandparents where the same age as her. The generational gap is hard too. Being a teenager trying to relate to parents is hard enough. Add another 20 years on to the age gap and it feels impossible at times. My mum didn't have the energy of someone 20 years younger either. I felt jealous of those (including my elder sisters who my mum all had in her teens/twenties) with younger parents and honestly felt robbed of a normal child/parent relationship. I often wonder how long my parents will be around for & it saddens me deeply to know that they won't be around that long to see my own children grow. This woman is another 17 years older than the age my mother had me, not to mention the fact that the child's father will probably only have a good 10 years with them. Way too young for a little child to lose a parent. I don't doubt the love they have for their child but despite popular belief, sometimes love is not enough. I just can't help but feel for them. Like many commenters before, the arguments for this couple really don't stack up. I've been there and know the journey that lies ahead for them all."

Granted the woman's mother was only 46 and possibly quite an old 46 after having nine babies but she makes good points.
    I regret not having my kids ten yrs earlier becuase I have so much less time with them and it's highly unlikely I will ever get to meet my grandchildren either, unless I sabotage their birth control in their teens.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Phony For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (04-08-2016),BlondeinBrisvegas  (04-08-2016)