WWYD hand foot and mouth disease outbreak? | Bub Hub
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default WWYD hand foot and mouth disease outbreak?

Just wondering how others would deal with this.
    My DD is 13 months old and goes to a very well regarded childcare centre in their baby house. They have 12 babies a day and DD goes Tuesday/Friday. There's about 20ish babies all up across the week who attend.
    DD has had a lot of (well constant) sickness the past two months to the point that she saw her paed last Tuesday (she was waking every 30-60 minutes with coughing fits) and her spleen is significantly enlarged due to multiple infections and she went on antibiotics and steroids to try and resolve her respiratory issues. Which worked I'm so relieved. Within 3 days she was sleeping through again. But we need to keep her healthy for a couple of weeks to give her body time to recover a bit.
    Soooo. About 2 weeks ago childcare started getting HFM notifications in baby house. DD didn't go last Tuesday due to illness anyway. So Thursday I rang up just to check about HFM and they had 3 notifications in 2 days so I kept her home Friday. She was meant to go today but again I called and they had 2 more notifications this week including 1 who broke out in blisters at childcare yesterday and got sent home. There were babies going today who were there yesterday so I had to keep DD home again.
    I'm thinking that there will be more cases during the week and I'll need to keep her home on Friday too.
    My DH is away for 2 months. I have pretty much no help. If she can't go to childcare I have to stay home. I have flexible work to a point but I'm falling rapidly behind as I'm not getting much done.
    By the same token we have both been so sick especially DD. I can't face the prospect of hfm while I'm on my own, potentially catching it too and just slipping again with her health.
    This sucks. Has anyone been through similar? Do you just send them and deal with it? Would you hold toddler back because of hfm?
    I would hate myself if I sent her prematurely and she did catch it and it hit her hard as she's already vulnerable.

Thanks
    Reviews
    It's such a tough situation - there has been a hfm outbreak at my ds' daycare and I have kept my son home however we were lucky that my dh was home as he usually works away. If dh wasn't home I may have had to send him and hope for the best which I have done in the past. I know this probably doesn't help much but I do feel your pain especially as hfm is no fun at all.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Lolly83 For This Useful Post:

gingermillie  (02-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks @Lolly83. It's not an ideal situation for me but I can keep her home so I feel I should and then just try to catch up as best I can. I can muddle through even though it's putting more pressure on me each day.
    The staff there are kinda making me feel like I'm being over the top though and downplaying it as a mild illness. I just don't want her to catch it as she's been so sick lately she needs a break. And I don't want to deal with sick baby by myself!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't think you're being over the top at all for keeping her at home @gingermillie caring for a sick child is not fun especially when your partner is away. My son had terrible hfm when he was 1 and even though it's a common virus it's not pleasant for either bubs or mums/dads. At the end of the day you do what's right for you and your family and not for the daycare

TheGooch is offline Winner 2014 - Newbie of the Year
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    In DS's first year at daycare it was unusual during winter to have a fortnight without him having to stay home for at least one day. He had hfm at least 3 times, with no symptoms other than a few dots. Our GPs were frustrated about daycare's policy because in their mind, hfm is harmless (quote from our GP) add to that the temps, colds etc and it was a horrendous winter. That was last year. This year he hasn't had a single day off. I think it's true what other parents told us, they get everything in their first year and less after that.
    To answer your question, we always sent DS, unless he was sick. We never knowingly sent him to daycare unwell.
    We decided that he had probably already been exposed to the other kids with hfm or illnesses before their illness became apparent.
    Having said that if your DD is vulnerable to illness, I'd seek some advice from your GP.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We've just spent the last holidays at home with HFM bought home from daycare by DD (14m).

If it was me, I would keep your DD home this week - give her a little time to recover and for the HFM to clear up at daycare. From memory, the incubation period is 3-5 days.

I would much rather a couple of days off now with a relatively healthy Bub than a week or two off looking after a blistering and unhappy baby.

Best wishes!

Thanks
    Reviews
    DS2 caught HFM at daycare a couple of months ago. It was on his very first day there, and it was a settling in day, so he was only there for an hour. (And most of the other babies were asleep for that hour!)

HFM is really contagious. Generally it is mild, but sometimes it can get nasty. And even when it is mild, the kids feel miserable. DS1's face is still not back to normal, because his blisters became infected.

If your DD was in good health then I'd say sure, why not risk it and/or get the inevitable over with now. But with her recent history, it sounds like her immune system could use a break.

I know how hard it is when you've got stuff you need to do, and they aren't at daycare. (Believe me, I know!) I suspect though that if you do send her, she'll probably be home sick again next week with HFM anyway.

About the only consolation I can offer you is the reassurance that the illnesses get less frequent the longer they attend daycare (because they've already caught everything there is to catch!) DS1 is almost 3, and has had a single sick day in the last few months.

Thanks
    Reviews
    It's really hard....

DD has been sick for the past two weeks and unable to go to daycare, thankfully DF has been home (he's usually away!).

I have been reading your vent journal and I'm sorry your not getting more family support as I think that would help... If your mum went well looking after your DD the other day could she maybe do it more often?

With respect to keeping your DD home when there is an outbreak at daycare, I would have done the same as you given your DD's immune system has been working overtime lately. Later down the track when she's had a good run of not being sick you may decide to send her anyway. That's what I would do anyway.

DD's daycare has had outbreaks of whooping cough, school sores and HFM and I sent her anyway, however she was at daycare when the outbreaks happened so I figured she had already been exposed so it was too late to do much about it.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to babyno1onboard For This Useful Post:

gingermillie  (03-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I would keep her home.
    We just got over HFM and it was awful, there was nothing mild about it.
    DD didn't eat or drink a thing from Thursday morning until Sunday night. It was torture for her.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My 2 had mild versions and they were miserable. Makes everything 20 times harder. I'd keep her home. Good luck x