+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default A thoughtful gift I'll never use, what do I do?

Hi there,

I recently received a very thoughtful gift from a friend for my little one. I am so grateful she put so much thought into getting my son an exersaucer as he is currently in a brace and she felt that he will need to exercise his legs once he is out of it.

But..

I have a problem with these play things I worry about my baby's hips enough already and I feel having something like this just hinders development rather that assists it.

She's given it to me in good faith and I see her often so worry that she will ask how he likes it and I don't think he'll ever use it. She has a 4 week old at the moment and I've told her that when her little one is big enough I will give it back to her, so at least it will get used.. I just don't think it's right for my little one.

What do I do or say if she asks me? Has this ever happened to you and what did you do?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Maybe wait a week or so then casually say "I told my pead/physio/ot about the exerciser you gave us but they have said it might make things worse. I'm so upset, hopefully your little one can use it soon.".

Bad I know but would probably be the easiest solution.
    Last edited by mummymaybe; 02-08-2016 at 13:54.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Depends on whether you feel you can be honest with her. You could just say he hates it. Or the physio advised you not too.

However for most friends, especially sensitive ones who put a lot if thought into it, I would tell a little white lie. Say he's been in it a few times and enjoys it for short periods. If she visits you can say it's had something spilled on it and needs to be cleaned. Then give it back. I can't see the harm done in that.

Personally I hate those things. They are only enjoyable for such a short space of time (both my kids never lasted longer than 10 minutes lol) and for such a specific age and clutter the house up, not worth the expense in my opinion😊
    Last edited by Little Miss Sunshine; 02-08-2016 at 13:57.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Thanks so much. Great Idea to make it like it was the professional who suggested I don't use it. I'll do that. Hopefully if she decides not to use it she will be able to exchange or refund it too.