To Formula or not | Page 2 | Bub Hub
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Formula isn't breastmilk that's for sure but it saved my sanity. My supply was quite low with all three and I had to put them onto formula in the first couple of weeks after birth. My eldest two were on S26 Gold and my youngest (5 months) is on Nan. She is thriving. All three are healthy

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Marchbundle For This Useful Post:

turquoisecoast  (03-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    You could try motillium to increase your supply. It worked a bit for me and others I know.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I introduced a formula bottle once a day with my twins early on. I breastfed all day and most of the night but they had a formula bottle at 7pm because i found my supply was low by the evening and the break really helped me to get some rest. It also meant that i could use formula when we were out and about if absolutely necessary because breastfeeding two in public was difficult. I could never express a drop (i think i had a psychological aversion to that pump!) but breastfed the twins for a whole year with that 7pm bottle feed.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to NAT2561 For This Useful Post:

turquoisecoast  (03-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    FWIW I found I got the most milk when I fed the baby on one side and expressed on the other. Not easy to juggle, but worth it because I could take advantage of the baby stimulating let downs and was able to get a decent amount.

Another approach is to express a bit after every feed (not always easy I know). Lots of small amounts over a 24 hour period can add up.

Obviously the above depends on how often and how long you need to leave him for so it may not be possible to get a decent amount. If you can stand expressing / it is possible to express feeds missed while you are away from him that may be a way to get a decent amount as well.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to SSecret Squirrel For This Useful Post:

SookiLala  (04-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    If you decide to start mix feeding that's totally cool, mix feeding works for a lot of families, but I just wanted to add that as pp's have mentioned, babies go through fussy times & growth spurts where they will want to feed more. Doesn't necessarily mean your supply has dropped. If Bub is still gaining weight, having wet/dirty nappies & generally happy, fussing at the breast could just be a developmental phase. I remember with DD thinking I'll just give it 24 more hours then I'll have to get DH to give her a bottle so I can have a break. Inevitably she would settle down just when I thought I couldn't take it anymore!
    The fact that you aren't able to express much is not an indication of supply problems either, some people just can't express much even if they have a massive supply.
    I recommend having a look at the Milk Meg's blog. She is a bit of a hardcore attachment parent, but is also an IBCLC and has some very sensible things to say about supply issues etc.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm in the same position but DS is 3wks old. My milk was like a cow with ds1 9yrs and time round I'm not. I had Cs which can affect your milk apparently. I mixed fed last night and OMG he slept for 4.5hrs straight. Did a bf at 6pm formula top up at 830 120mls the the dozed off at 930 then woke at 2am I did another mixed feed with BF first then did that at 6am when he woke again. I feel slightly refreshed get that amount of sleep

Thanks
    Reviews
    I mix fed my first. At the time, I thought it was sanity-saving...in hindsight, I think the mix feeding (or at least, the bottle-feeding aspect) led to her having a preference for bottles and consequently being an absolute nightmare at the breast. I really wish I'd known as much about breastfeeding as I do now...I would have used a syringe or a cup to supplement rather than a bottle. Not all babies will develop a preference, but you never know.

Also, if you're interested, you may be able to find donor milk in your area. Particularly handy if you only need him fed by someone else occasionally, as it's pretty tempting not to waste formula sitting in your cupboard if you only use a bottle here and there.

Thanks
    Reviews
    The wasted formula is a good point, I literally would only want to use it when I am not around, however I was worried as I was supposed to be doing a few shifts of work but they cancelled on me, so I had been painstakingly trying to get some milk expressed and as such have a bit of a supply of lots of little amounts that will last me for other things. I like the idea of more sleep but being that the boy is nearly 4 months and the dreaded sleep change is bound to happen very very soon I'm not sure it's going to make much of a difference. I will definitely have a look at milk megs blog, I had a quick squiz last night and she seems to have some good things to say. I have been trying to feed with one breast and express the other but he is draining both breasts at the moment, I'm not sure I can swing expressing in public, it's too awkward. The other romantic idea is getting a break, would be nice to do a formula feed through the night and get a break....

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default To Formula or not

Op, this article popped up in my Facebook last night and I thought it may help reassure you about your supply. Four months is a developmental phase though so that's most likely why he seems a bit fussier with it all. I also always find pumping in the morning after they've fed the best time, but think you've tried that. And a good pump is essential as well .

https://blogs.unicef.org.uk/2016/08/...ding-interval/

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Have you tried lactation cookies or fenugreek etc?