To Formula or not | Bub Hub
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default To Formula or not

my beautiful babe has just turned 15 weeks and suddenly my milk seems to be harder to get to and expressing is just a nightmare, I'm totally on the breast is best wagon and I really wanted to EBF until he was at least 6 months and however long after that was a bonus, the problem is there are times where I need to be away from the wee pal and I was depending on the expressed milk to be here for him but I'm watching my supply dwindle away while I try painstakingly to restock but am coming up empty. So it's led me to this point where I am having to consider formula as an option. I am really bummed at the thought but don't know what other option I have. Anyone been through this? What was the outcome? And if I do go formula how the heck do I choose what to give, there are way too many options. Help!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Tdez For This Useful Post:

Belter  (07-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm of the view that a fed baby is best. You've obviously done a great job BF to this point so if for whatever reason you choose or need to move to formula then so be it. You will continue to have a healthy baby regardless of the type of milk it is fed.
    I BF initially but very shortly afterwards needed to move to formula as I just couldn't produce enough milk which led to a very unhappy baby. It might take a few attempts to find the right formula for your child but for us it was Karicare (Delact in our case as DS is lactose intolerant).

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fauvette For This Useful Post:

Cicho  (04-08-2016),Tdez  (02-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Congrats on your bub!

I'm no BF expert, but here's my 2 cents.

Around 4 months, babies generally have a growth spurt, and need to feed frequently. If bub is constantly hungry, it may not be because your supply has dropped off. If bub is wanting to feed constantly, this is a way of increasing supply for them (supply and demand). So if this is what you mean by milk seems harder to get to, it may be that bub is having a growth spurt, and making sure you increase supply by feeding all the time!

The amount you can express is no indication of how much bub is getting. Some women just aren't able to express much, for whatever reason. (As someone who expressed a lot, the type of pump you have can make quite a difference too.)

If you're keen to keep BF (and I'm completely on the 'a fed baby is best' wagon), you could mix feed? It doesn't have to be one or the other.

As for which formula, there are obviously heaps of them, and it will probably be a bit of trial and error to find one that you and bub like. FWIW, we liked Bellamys. It was hard to get for a while there, but I think it's ok now. My recommendation is to try something easy to buy and readily available, as it can be rough on bub to chop and change between formulas.

Good luck with whatever you choose to do!
    Last edited by JustJaq; 02-08-2016 at 07:12.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to JustJaq For This Useful Post:

hakuna matata  (03-08-2016),Renn  (03-08-2016),SSecret Squirrel  (02-08-2016),Tdez  (02-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks heaps guys. I I totally intend to keep BF up, it's just for when I'm not here and have t got any milk stored. He is feeding more but I assumed it was because when he had a cold I increased his feeding and he got used to it ha ha, but he is SO fussy at the breast at the moment and really distracted, keeps popping off and on, that's why I thought he was struggling to get milk, even when he had his tongue tie he fed better than he is feeding now. But he just mastered rolling over and it's much more alert so makes sense he would be more hungry due to all the new growing and developing. I have an appt with a midwife in 2 weeks so I might hold off going anywhere and talk to her about formula supplement when I leave the house because I really have no idea when it comes to formul.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks heaps guys. I I totally intend to keep BF up, it's just for when I'm not here and have t got any milk stored. He is feeding more but I assumed it was because when he had a cold I increased his feeding and he got used to it ha ha, but he is SO fussy at the breast at the moment and really distracted, keeps popping off and on, that's why I thought he was struggling to get milk, even when he had his tongue tie he fed better than he is feeding now. But he just mastered rolling over and it's much more alert so makes sense he would be more hungry due to all the new growing and developing. I have an appt with a midwife in 2 weeks so I might hold off going anywhere and talk to her about formula supplement when I leave the house because I really have no idea when it comes to formula.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Tdez For This Useful Post:

JustJaq  (02-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had to mix feed/top up with formula as my DS just wouldn't put any weight on and really struggled with feeding. (End up being because of a tongue tie)

At the beginning when I had to weigh him before and after feeds I would then top up to an amount that we had discussed that week with the Dr.

I eventually changed to doing every second feed as formula which gave me enough time to fill up again and he would then have a good b/feed.

Some formulas you can get in smaller tins or boxes of sachets which can work out well when you are trying a few out. We used S26 Gold - Lactose Free.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to emeraldsandsiamonds For This Useful Post:

Tdez  (03-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    we mix feed and I love it. best of both worlds! my 5m old ds is BF all day and through the night and we give 180ml of bellamys formula at bedtime (6pm) and for his 10pm feed (so my dh can take over a bit). it's not a supply issue, this is what works best for us.

I love the flexibility of BF but also the ability to bottle feed.

before my ds was born, I too was militantly boob is best. what's best is what works for you and your baby. formula is not the big bad I thought it was. in many instances, it's a sanity saver.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to turquoisecoast For This Useful Post:

Tdez  (03-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    If you are really worried about how much he's is getting, go & do a feed somewhere you have access to baby scales, if you weigh him before & after a feed you will see how much he is having, breast milk weighs pretty much 1ml to 1gram so easy to convert!

I had huge issues Bfeeding my DS so when DD came along the scales where a godsend, just really put me at ease being able to know how much she was having!

15. The Following User Says Thank You to AmyEL For This Useful Post:

Tdez  (03-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    What time of day are you expressing? You're more likely to get more milk in the mornings than in the evenings due to hormone levels. I'm no expert this far down the track but maybe talk to your midwife/child health nurse about it all. If bub is still satisfied at the boob and it's more having enough to express and stockpile, maybe just see if he settles down with this developmental burst he's going through. You can always look into things like lactation cookies if you think your milk supply is truly affected, but it could well just be that bub is trying to stimulate your milk supply for a growth support as a PP has suggested. He could well just be cluster feeding, hence the fussiness at the breast. Good luck!

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to M'LadyEm For This Useful Post:

rosey82  (03-08-2016),Tdez  (03-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks heaps for the responses! I am expressing whenever I get the chance, mornings are hard because he eats like a monster in the morning, I usually do my best after his midnight feed, they just seem to give up more then. I'll definitely run everything by the midwife, but it's reassuring to know others have had similar issues, I'll see how I go getting my hands on some scales.
    I don't know why it's ingrained in me formula is bad, it's silly really, glad to hear it's generally unwarranted lol.