+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I always loved watching the olympics but I think this year will be watched more with morbid fascination to see how much actually ends up going wrong. They made a huge mistake choosing Rio to host. I usually like to watch the track and field events, the diving and the gymnastics.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Used to get excited and loved the swimminh but sooooo not interested this yeat. Already so much going wrong this year. How could the swimmers possibly never open their mouths!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm looking forward to it. As an ex-athlete at the top of my sport (not quite Olympic material but I have a national title to my name) I respect the athletes for their amazing dedication & talent. I can relate to the hours upon hours of pain, sweat & tears & the buzz you get stepping into a packed stadium

In saying that though, I have concerns around the health & safety of everyone who will be there.

Mod-Nomsie is offline Administrator
    Winner 2009/10/11/12/13 - Most helpful Moderator
    Winner 2011 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Winner - Quickest 'Thanker' on the Hub
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/1/15
    I love the olympics! Love love the opening ceremony, and honestly I will watch all the sports I can, esp if an Aussie is competing! I pushed really hard to study olympics during inquiry this year because I know kids get a kick out of it, and the best I got was one week of olympics inquiry. Better than nothing so that whole week will be Olympic themed! Plus for our concert item this week, the overarching theme is "what's on tv" so I've orchestrated three grades working together to present an olympics broadcast

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by kzm View Post
    I'm not looking forward to it. I know I'm a self centred grump, but likely they will show it on TV and disrupt the normal shows. I hate how our society is so sports centred. I also hate how much funding these athletes would of got from the govt. how it could be spent to make people's lives better. Reduce homelessness. Fund hospitals. So many better things could be done.

There's been big concerns about the Olympic village. The waterways are contaminated. Mosquitoes with zika. Why are we participating? Why would they have it there?

I can't wait til it's over. The problem is that in 4 years time my daughter will be in school and she will have to likely watch the crap on telly, do projects. I'm not looking forward to that
    Are you me? I'm a massive party pooper when it comes to the Olympics. Not my bag, baby.

TheGooch is online now Winner 2014 - Newbie of the Year
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I get excited by the Olympics!
    I watch the swimming, diving and equestrian!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I love the Olympics but unless I am back at APARC it is likely I'll be stuck sharing a tv with 30 or so extremely mentally ill people (who if want something different they will get it) or my phone with limited data so will likely be missing a huge chunk of it

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'm gonna be a grinch and say I'm over the Olympics. I think the money being spent is obscene and I don't think it really benefits the host city that much. I think they should just be held in one place every 4 years.
    I love the sporting side of it but I'm over the politics and all the other stuff. Whilst many things are obviously under par in Rio (as they might be for a nation where many people live in poverty) I'm also over hearing complaints about what I feel are petty things eg. Athletes rooms being too small in the village. Most athletes are funded by taxpayer money, get over it I say or 'donate' your room to someone living in a Rio slum.
    There, rant over!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Love the olympics I buy the sports channels just so I can watch as much as I can. I love pretty much all the events especially when there is an Aussie present.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    And another evacuation, my gut feeling says this is going to be a very disjointed and uneasy games.