+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Nooooooo wayyyyyyy! DH & I had a solid relationship before DS came along, and even though he was a fairly 'easy' baby we still ended up talking divorce a few times! The stress, sleep deprivation, change in dymanic, hormones, and massive shift in lifestyle put a huge strain on even the best of relationships.

In my 2013 DIG there have already been numerous relationship break ups and there are more who are at breaking point and just holding on.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Frankenmum For This Useful Post:

gingermillie  (01-08-2016),turquoisecoast  (01-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    no way. dh and I have a pretty good r'ship and ds has tested us big time. I do not see how anyone can believe a baby would fix a broken relationship.

like short of trapping someone into not leaving, or making it much harder to leave, I don't believe a baby can fix something that's not right between two people. that's up to the adults to fix.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to turquoisecoast For This Useful Post:

gingermillie  (01-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Do you believe a baby can save a relationship?

Last edited by Hasselhoff; 01-08-2016 at 15:43.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Um, no. It's just hard work. So much change. So much exhaustion, stress and hormones. And that's without any complications.

Thanks
    Reviews
    From my experience with DD no way. I certainly believe a baby can tear a relationship apart though. And I have seen that with friends who split in the baby/toddler years.
    My DD is 13 months old and DH and I have been together 6.5yrs. We had an amazing relationship before DD was born and the past year has placed a massive strain on our relationship in a way I never expected. I think if we weren't so solid before she was born we wouldn't be together now. Maybe if she was an easier baby or we were younger it might not have been so hard.
    Even though it has been a very tough year she has also bonded us in a new and strong way. Luckily we are a definite team.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Nope. Not in my experience anyway.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    As a general rule no, but I think its entirely dependent on what the relationship problems are. If it's because people have cheated/abuse/just a general ****ty relationship or disrespect then no way. BUT DH and I have been together a really long time now and over the course of our relationship we have of course had our ups and downs. Our downs have mostly been centred around feeling like we are growing apart/have nothing in common. Well, a kid definitely gives you something in common! We were in a great place when we conceived DS however our relationship has grown stronger by 10 fold since he was born. We work well as a team and we have really come together. It helps that we both think the sun shines out DS's bum and he's number 1 for both of us (we always put DS above each other but we do this equally so it works for us, neither feel neglected). So I'm a bit of a fence sitter on this one.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Nope. DP and I were reassessing our relationship, he had moved out when I found out I was pregnant. I rang him straight away and left a voice mail. We had issues before hand and still do that we are working through but we wouldn't stay together purely for the baby as well as my two from a previous marriage. It's not worth it and it's not fair on the children or the two people involved.

SuperGranny is offline Worlds best grandma! Winner 2012 - Most Helpful Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    In the majority of cases, I would say, no, a baby will not save a relationship. Sometimes it might just prolong the eventual break up. I certainly would not ever advise a couple to have a baby to save the relationship. A baby cannot solve problems for adults. marie.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to SuperGranny For This Useful Post:

Waggers70  (01-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    No I don't believe it can. Newborns are extremely hard on even the most rock solid relationships. If things are already rough, it would only make them worse.
    Like anything I am sure there are exceptions to the norm. But generally speaking, a baby isn't going to make a relationship work that doesn't already.