Contact hours and childcare? | Bub Hub
+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Contact hours and childcare?

I've had a masters in mind but still doing research, but decided yesterday that I shouldn't leave it until ms2 starts school. But then I forgot that even part time there is no info on the days / times of contact hours. I think it'd only be a few hours a week. Ms2 is due to start preschool next year but those are set days. They can't be changed or extended. I'm thinking again I need to go back to the drawing board and find a fully online course. Which sucks as I've already tried and not found anything that I like that is graduate entry. If I start a new degree that's 8 years part time I may as well wait until she starts school?
    Anyone overcome this issue?? I had thought the placement would be the hardest but I think mil might travel over from nz for me for that but how do I plan to get to actual lectures if they can't tell me what days / times they are on?!?! Maybe it's a sign it's not a family friendly course??

Thanks
    Reviews
    Unis often don't release that info until the time tabling is completed for the year, so if you plan on starting next year probably towards the end of the year they could give you some indication on when classes will be on.

Honestly though study isn't family friendly. You just have to work around it. I study, work 4 days a week and tutor Uni classes. I miss the lectures but make the tutes, the lecturer has ok'd it and we've worked out an alternative so I get all the information. I use a mix of childcare and family so I can do it. If I had to use childcare more I would. Occasional care is worth looking into, there's lots of childcare centers that do half days too if you don't want to do full days of daycare. Family daycare may also be an option. You just make it work. It's not easy but it's doable. You can do it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearlygirl View Post
    Unis often don't release that info until the time tabling is completed for the year, so if you plan on starting next year probably towards the end of the year they could give you some indication on when classes will be on.

Honestly though study isn't family friendly. You just have to work around it. I study, work 4 days a week and tutor Uni classes. I miss the lectures but make the tutes, the lecturer has ok'd it and we've worked out an alternative so I get all the information. I use a mix of childcare and family so I can do it. If I had to use childcare more I would. Occasional care is worth looking into, there's lots of childcare centers that do half days too if you don't want to do full days of daycare. Family daycare may also be an option. You just make it work. It's not easy but it's doable. You can do it.
    I have no family but I do already use occasional care once a week I don't know why I didn't think of that? Although that does close at 3.30 and the uni is more than an hours travel so I guess that would only work if lectures usually all done by 2. It's been 20 years since I did day time study so I can't remember what time they went to! When I did a masters part time in London it was at night. I've not seen any evening courses here. Maybe I'm looking in the wrong places?

Thanks
    Reviews
    At the Uni I teach at it is a requirement that all lectures are recorded for students to access online if they wish. So if the lecture itself is recorded you could watch that online and then just make occasional care arrangements to attend the tutorials/workshops. At my Uni timetabling is done centrally and not until late in the year so we have no capacity to tell potential students class times in advance as we don't know ourselves. Our classes can run any time from 8am-6pm. If you can look at the existing timetable that may give you an indication of potential times for next year.
    As an example the topic I teach in this semester has a lecture at 3pm Monday then we have 20 X 2hr tutes scheduled Tuesday-Friday (students attend one) and they run across the day from 9-11am to 4-6pm. This is a massive undergrad topic though. We don't run night classes but other areas at my Uni do.
    I'm doing a masters through university of Sydney fully online but they do have some evening classes for on campus students. I think it's probably course/Uni dependent.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Subbing

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    The Uni I goto is AMAZEBALLS and so flexible for mums and people with disabilities which I have both lol.

I just hate externally because I'm such a slacker 😱 and I find it is def more work than attending but you have to do what you gotta do lol ps same uni that @gingermillie works at

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Have you called to speak to the department the course is run by (rather than admissions?). Often the lecture/tute always runs on that day every year due to staff availability. Many lecturers and tutors have other jobs with set days too. So while they couldn't give you a definite, they may be able to give a probably.

I studies externally but 2 x 2 weeks (full time) subjects had to be done on campus. Plus 2w + 2w + 8w of full time prac. The prac I all did at local schools, so not the same travel as uni.

All lecturers were recorded so I would load them onto my mp3player and do housework while I listened. I also downloaded the PowerPoint that went with them and referred to as needed. Then there were the message boards for each subject which are like bubhub - lots of questions, discussion, helping each other etc.

Not every course is offered externally but it can he hard to find the information about external options for ccourses that most people do on campus. Again, easier when you talk to the uni rather than trawling through their website.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by gingermillie View Post
    At the Uni I teach at it is a requirement that all lectures are recorded for students to access online if they wish. So if the lecture itself is recorded you could watch that online and then just make occasional care arrangements to attend the tutorials/workshops. At my Uni timetabling is done centrally and not until late in the year so we have no capacity to tell potential students class times in advance as we don't know ourselves. Our classes can run any time from 8am-6pm. If you can look at the existing timetable that may give you an indication of potential times for next year.
    As an example the topic I teach in this semester has a lecture at 3pm Monday then we have 20 X 2hr tutes scheduled Tuesday-Friday (students attend one) and they run across the day from 9-11am to 4-6pm. This is a massive undergrad topic though. We don't run night classes but other areas at my Uni do.
    I'm doing a masters through university of Sydney fully online but they do have some evening classes for on campus students. I think it's probably course/Uni dependent.
    I was looking at masters in occupational therapy at uni of sydney. They just got back to me and they don't have timetables until 2/3 weeks before and they say the timetable changes each semester. So even if I could organise cc for the first semester I could be stuck again for the next. Sucks!!!!
    Now I really need to decide whether to change direction again and find a fully online course or wait until ms2 is at school in 3.5 years... We can't afford to put her into full time daycare and I wouldn't want to anyway. If things weren't so crap with dp I'd be ok waiting and doing some free courses online to get myself back into study mode but I might need my own income soon. Back to the drawing board...