+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I've been to the Mercy for my first, Angliss for my second and Box Hill for my third. Both the Mercy and Box Hill were wonderful. I would never recommend the Angliss and I had a very poor experience there, and have also since heard of many people having a terrible experiences there as well. The Mercy and Box Hill have good facilities, Box Hill is brand new and each birth suite has birthing pool. I'd go back to BH if I had a fourth - it was closer for me and the facilities were better than the Mercy. I find that report interesting and I wonder if the infant deaths have anything to do with the socioeconomic status of the mothers?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hey! I went private to Mitcham and will be doing the same this time around. The majority of my fiends have gone public and have had only positive experiences and box hill and the angliss. There is a BIG difference in the costs (beyond ob fee, privately EVERYTHING has a fee e.g. Scans) so it depends what you need. I am anxious so needed the reassurance of the same ob who knew me etc. if not, I'd be happy to go public

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ladies, when you went public did they give you a contact you could call with any questions? Like if you quickly wanted to check something.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I went through the know your midwife program at Box Hill. The facilities are new which is nice and you also get a chance at a water birth if you have an accredited midwife.

Get in ASAP at the KYM program as it fills quickly. I remember my midwife saying there were only 2 of midwives at the time, there are now 8 midwives involved, but she had to pick someone out of 60 other women and I was fortunate enough to be chosen.

The KYM program allocates you a midwife who you are able to text or call whenever you have a problem.

I liked box hill, only because I loved my midwife. Had I not been in the program I would have changed. I have had an absolutely awful experience in the paediatric unit. My child was basically assaulted (by an RN at that) and he was only 4 weeks old. The RN who was in charge did not use gloves when milking my child's foot and did not allow me to hold or feed him while he did it (this wasnt the assault, there was another issue I would rather not go into because it still makes me absolutely sick to my stomach). I was absolutely disgusted. I was even told by someone reputable not to take my child to Box hill for anything and to always go to RCH because Box Hill is ridiculous.

A friend of mine recently also had endometritis following a caesarean and ended up with septicemia (just background info). Just a couple of days ago she went to emergency following chest pain to which she was told it is possibly a dissection, and then 30 mins later discharged her saying there wasn't anything wrong. How they can go from something so serious to absolutely nothing in such a short time. There was something seriously wrong. She had chest pain and was drifting in and out of consciousness. It was disturbing to watch.

Sorry to scare you. I just don't trust Box Hill.

A nurse friend works at Knox private as an RN, but not in the maternity ward. She refuses to take her family there. She says they are understaffed.
    Last edited by SookiLala; 01-08-2016 at 11:42.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to SookiLala For This Useful Post:

Pippyt  (06-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Boxhill (public) v Mitcham or Knox (private)

Quote Originally Posted by Pippyt View Post
    that's good to hear. Did you find you had frequent appointments? when was your first one there (week 12?)
    I think they were every 4 weeks or so from memory. So not too bad. I went through the midwife section but I don't think it was the known midwife part.

Edited to add:
    First appointment was around 16 weeks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Pippyt View Post
    Ladies, when you went public did they give you a contact you could call with any questions? Like if you quickly wanted to check something.
    When I had my first appointment they gave me a booklet I took to every appointment. In this it had a number to call to change appointments and then a number to call if any worries.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I went private at Mitcham and had my bub there in May. I cannot express enough with how happy I was with everything!!! From my OB to the midwives etc it was a great experience and worth every cent!!! I would say my total out of pocket approx was (OB, scans and hospital) $4k

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lauzie For This Useful Post:

Pippyt  (01-08-2016),runnermelb  (01-08-2016)