+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    We have no history of food allergies in our family so I'm not so concerned for me. I'd be concerned if they relaxed the guidelines from a guy health point of view. We know so much more about gut health and its importance to general well being I personally think it's something worth seriously taking into account.

And as for babies being hungry, I never quite get that as you give them so little it can't fill them up? I would personally wait til they were a little older and introduce more than start very young and do it really slowly (which is why I think solids can be a pita).

With DS we actually had to give him binding foods to fill him up, certainly not what I'd give another baby. And we did it so slowly as I was worried how young he was it didn't improve his reflux until he was closer to 6 months anyway.
    So true.

I also was wondering about the hungry baby comments. How do you know you have a hungry baby or is it something we all interpret differently? Is it a baby that wants to breastfeed often? DS1 regularly wanted to feed every two hours for ages but I didn't feel I should give him solids, or that it meant he needed them, so I assume that a 'hungry baby' in regards to starting solids is open for interpretation?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to HollyGolightly81 For This Useful Post:

turquoisecoast  (31-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by HollyGolightly81 View Post
    So true.

I also was wondering about the hungry baby comments. How do you know you have a hungry baby or is it something we all interpret differently? Is it a baby that wants to breastfeed often? DS1 regularly wanted to feed every two hours for ages but I didn't feel I should give him solids, or that it meant he needed them, so I assume that a 'hungry baby' in regards to starting solids is open for interpretation?
    Lol I had one of those hungry babies too. Fed multiple times overnight and 2-4 hourly during the day. But really did not eat much at all til 7-8 months and even then very slow going. Can't have been that hungry then

4. The Following User Says Thank You to gingermillie For This Useful Post:

HollyGolightly81  (31-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Interesting thread. I would like to add that every health professional I have spoken to this year (paediatricians, health nurses, doctors) have said the latest recommendation is now 4 months (to reduce allergies apparently). So I can see why people get confused.

I am well aware the WHO guidelines are still 6 months - neither of my boys were even sort of ready at 4 months, I tried DS1 at 5 months after pressure from a MCHN but he blatantly wasn't ready - tried again at 6 months and he took it like a fish to water. My 5 month old DS2 isn't ready yet so I will likely wait another month before trying, I feel pretty confident that I will know when he is ready. I don't personally think there is enough evidence regarding early introducing and allergies - but then we don't have a history of allergies so it's not as much of a worry for me as it might be others.

I think it's harder for first time mums to know when their babies are ready (generally speaking) and the mixed info/advice out there makes it harder.

NB I am not referring to any specific comments in this post, just adding my 2 cents, and that is that there's a lot of different info out there, not just online but from health professionals. I do think this is largely because the 'right time' would vary between individual babies - it's a very hard thing to measure scientifically. But I have never heard of anyone recommending solids before 4 months - maybe for medical reasons but not as a general rule.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sunnygirl79 For This Useful Post:

A&S  (31-07-2016),HollyGolightly81  (31-07-2016),turquoisecoast  (31-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by sunnygirl79 View Post
    Interesting thread. I would like to add that every health professional I have spoken to this year (paediatricians, health nurses, doctors) have said the latest recommendation is now 4 months (to reduce allergies apparently). So I can see why people get confused.

I am well aware the WHO guidelines are still 6 months - neither of my boys were even sort of ready at 4 months, I tried DS1 at 5 months after pressure from a MCHN but he blatantly wasn't ready - tried again at 6 months and he took it like a fish to water. My 5 month old DS2 isn't ready yet so I will likely wait another month before trying, I feel pretty confident that I will know when he is ready. I don't personally think there is enough evidence regarding early introducing and allergies - but then we don't have a history of allergies so it's not as much of a worry for me as it might be others.

I think it's harder for first time mums to know when their babies are ready (generally speaking) and the mixed info/advice out there makes it harder.

NB I am not referring to any specific comments in this post, just adding my 2 cents, and that is that there's a lot of different info out there, not just online but from health professionals. I do think this is largely because the 'right time' would vary between individual babies - it's a very hard thing to measure scientifically. But I have never heard of anyone recommending solids before 4 months - maybe for medical reasons but not as a general rule.
    Touching on your comment that different babies are ready at different times, I think that's why a lot of recommendations are 'around 6 months' rather than just saying '6 months,' because it is taking into account that babies hit the necessary milestones at different times, but close to 6 months.

My issue isn't really people starting at four months, especially if a dr has recommended, it's more the going fast, advising other people to start then, too much, replacing milk, etc that I take issue with as people read these threads and do take it as ok rather than researching themselves, ya know. I also feel so many gps and MCHNs often aren't up to date with current research so we should definitely be looking it up ourselves as well so we know what questions to ask etc.

I'll actually be seeing a pediatric allergist for 9 week old ds2 soon to work out a weaning plan of what to do and when since his brother has a peanut allergy so it will be interesting to see if their recommendations change at all in regards to age.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I have no problem with when people choose to introduce solids, my worry is the amount the child is given.

I have read that recommendations have changed. Things change all the time. I was reading in my dads 1970s paediatric medical book and they discouraged breastfeeding past 6 months and recommended evaporated milk. Children didn't starve and ultimately "developed" etc, but that doesn't mean they grew or developed to their full potential.

As for hungry babies etc, I was sitting at a Cafe with a friend who was holding my 4 month old and he was reaching for the plate and sucking his fingers etc. She said he must be starving. What baby knows what food actually is at thst age?!
    Last edited by SookiLala; 31-07-2016 at 21:48.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to SookiLala For This Useful Post:

turquoisecoast  (31-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    @delirium, you would be interested to know though that there is a current study at the hospital we go to where they are introducing foods between 3-6 months to see if the early introduction, combined with breastfeeding, will help lower the rate of childhood allergies. It will be interesting to see what comes of it when they are able to draw some conclusions .
    I'd be very interested to know the results. Are allergies increasing bc of this, another reason or is it just that we are more aware now?

Actually @delirium (I'm obviously spending way too much time googling)...I stand corrected for the US guidelines, The American Academy of Asthma, Allergy and Immunology recommends between 4-6 months, but to start with low allergenic foods first, SLOWLY, and then introduce more allergenic food once those are tolerated: https://www.aaaai.org/conditions-and...ma-in-children
    Yeah I've always started on low allergen foods, sweet potato, pear, etc. One by one as well. But no one in either side of the family has food intolerances or allergies.

I'm certainly not advocating stuffing a 3 month old with a blitz blended adult dinner before their milk feed. As I said, it shouldn't be under 4 months bc of the gut and always after milk. But As someone that has had kids within the same family with very different eating patterns and needs, once those basic rules are fulfilled it's ok to tenatively introduce.

I'm one that mentioned a hungry baby. DS2 was my only child that I successfully bf (I mixed fed by choice). The day after he was born I bf him for 40 mins then he downed 30 or 40 mls of formula. The midwife said she'd never seen a baby that young drink so much. This was my 3rd child, so I know the signs of wind, or tiredness. I also knew that bm processes quicker thus why they eat more often. But even after comp feeding he was hungry. Even now at not even 18 months old, he ate nearly 3 chicken kebabs tonight lol (on the stick not doner). He's consistently sat at around the 65th to 70th percentile for weight and 92nd-95th for length. He's just a hungry kid with an uber fast metabolism like his father and sibs.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    https://www.nhmrc.gov.au/_files_nhmr...nes_150917.pdf

These are the current, updated ( as of 2015) infant feeding guidelines given to ALL health workers in Australia who are supposed to be passing them on to all parents
    The guidelines DO say "at around 6 months" and have taken into consideration the allergy studies saying there is still not enough studies done to bring it forward - of course unless there are specific Dr orders , it goes on to say that the problem is many parents still wait until nearly 12 months before introducing egg, nuts etc which could be leading to increased allergies so all food ( except honey) is to be introduced after 6 months

I also think it's the baby food makers that push the 4plus months just to get people to buy their products!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

HollyGolightly81  (31-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by sunnygirl79 View Post

I have been told the same. I was told that recent research (late 2015) indicates that solids should be started at 4-6 months to reduce likelihood of allergies. This was by health care professionals. Maybe this means they are planning to update the guidelines soon? Who knows...! (Not me).

I agree with those who said it's quite confusing and there is much conflicting advice out there. All we can do is the best thing we know how to at the time.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to babyno1onboard For This Useful Post:

sunnygirl79  (01-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    With allergies genuine question as I don't really focus on allergens with solids.

Do those that focus on timing because of allergies in their own families?

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Alternative to rice cereal for 5 month bub

Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    With allergies genuine question as I don't really focus on allergens with solids.

Do those that focus on timing because of allergies in their own families?
    I did the research after DD had a reaction (very mild thankfully). She was 10 months old by that stage so not much I could do about starting solids earlier 😂. The research came out when she was 6 months old anyway (too late!) so would not have had any influence over the timing of starting solids. Also given there is no history in our family I wouldn't have thought to research it before she had the reaction.
    Last edited by babyno1onboard; 01-08-2016 at 09:23.