+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Should we move interstate?

I'm pretty sure we've made up our mind but I don't want this to be the wrong decision

Reasons for leaving:

we hate the cold, currently live in regional vic. The winters here are harsh and long.

We love the beach, currently about 2.5 hour drive away

Hubby work here is unpredictable, could end without much warning and is likely to end this year. If we Move interstate he would be seeking work in similar field, likely less pay but more stability.

We want to sell house anyway but don't like any suburbs in current area that we want to buy into

We have no family here that we will miss

Reasons for staying

kids are in kinder & prep- worried they will be negatively affected by move and miss friends

We have one elderly relative who occasionally babysits, although not reliable. She is good with kids

We have a handful of friends here we see often/ occasionally

That's all I can come up with.

I don't want this to be a grass is greener thing. I do think deep down the best decision for us is to move but I know I tend to get excited about "new" experiences.

Has anyone ever made a big move and regretted it? What about moving children and changing schools? I know my oldest will be upset but I don't know if that's enough to stay.
    Last edited by yadot; 28-07-2016 at 23:48.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by yadot View Post
    I'm pretty sure we've made up our mind but I don't want this to be the wrong decision

Reasons for leaving:

we hate the cold, currently live in regional vic. The winters here are harsh and long.

We love the beach, currently about 2.5 hour drive away

Hubby work here is unpredictable, could end without much warning and is likely to end this year. If we Move interstate he would be seeking work in similar field, likely less pay but more stability.

We want to sell house anyway but don't like any suburbs in current area that we want to buy into

We have no family here that we will miss

Reasons for staying

kids are in kinder & prep- worried they will be negatively affected by move and miss friends

We have one elderly relative who occasionally babysits, although not reliable. She is good with kids

We have a handful of friends here we see often/ occasionally

That's all I can come up with.

I don't want this to be a grass is greener thing. I do think deep down the best decision for us is to move but I know I tend to get excited about "new" experiences.

Has anyone ever made a big move and regretted it? What about moving children and changing schools? I know my oldest will be upset but I don't know if that's enough to stay.
    I lived at Puckapunyal (100km north of Melbourne) for 4.5 years and I was miserable. I am from Qld but my ex husband was in the army...do it if you want, what an adventure! Your kids will adapt so much easier at this age. Go for it, I say!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Marchbundle For This Useful Post:

yadot  (28-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Should we move interstate?

We have just moved from Adelaide to Newcastle. I disliked Adelaide for all the reasons you haven't liked Vic. Hated the long drawn out cold, the beach had no waves and really wasn't happy there. I've only been in Newcastle for 2 months but already know it was the best move for us. It's winter and I don't need to wear jackets or even jumpers, can still go down to the beach in winter and the lifestyle is so layed back by the beach.
    As for children, I really find they adjust. DD2(7) has had a few tears and misses some of her friends but also loves all her new friends and fit right into the new school. DD1,DD3 & DD4 aged 9,6&4 prefer it here from the moment we got arrived. They've adjusted perfectly!
    On a whole, if you think it's the right move then I say go for it!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to BabyG4 For This Useful Post:

yadot  (29-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for the replies. The cold and gloomy days are the biggest reasons for me. We have had our heating on since the end of March!!

Also, love the beach lifestyle

Did you find work before you left Adelaide babyg4?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I really don't miss that. I found I was always on a downer for 5 months of the year when it was colder so I know how you feel not liking it.
    No, I wasn't working in Adelaide. I found Adelaide to be the hardest place to get a job though.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to BabyG4 For This Useful Post:

yadot  (29-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Generally, speaking, I think kids are pretty resilient when it comes to change at that age. It would be easier for them to make new friends now than if you moved when they're older.
    Also, there's the bonus of more opportunities to make new friends through your children, as you would likely stay at parties, have more involvement in school etc.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Where are you thinking of? Adelaide or Syd?

Yes move for financial security sometimes you have too

11. The Following User Says Thank You to monnie24 For This Useful Post:

yadot  (29-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Queensland or NSW

Near the coast preferably monnie

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've moved a couple of times and never regretted it. If you don't go you'll always thinking 'what if'. At such a young age kids should make new friends easily.

I now live 300m from the beach. Friggin love it. Only complaint is that the waves are noisy when the sea is rough 😂

14. The Following User Says Thank You to babyno1onboard For This Useful Post:

yadot  (29-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by yadot View Post
    Queensland or NSW

Near the coast preferably monnie
    I lived on the Sunshine coast for years until last year. Moved for cheaper rent...big mistake! We are miserable and I miss the coast even though it's only a half hour drive. I used to live a street away from the beach and the kids were in a great school. Their new school doesn't compare. Moving back when this lease is up, can't wait!!!