+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default Newborn hates the dark?

So ds2 has been super fussy for at home sleeps the past few days, hard to get down for a nap when he'll normally just feed to sleep and hard a bedtime, full on screaming. I thought he was overtired since I'm not always on the ball of getting him down when needed since I'm dealing with a toddler as well but last night at bedtime when he wouldn't calm down I walked out to the hallway and instantly quiet. Go back in his blacked out bedroom and screaming so I cracked the blind a tiny bit to let some light in and he calmed down and started feeding and fell to sleep. This naptime he's been really fussy and finally I try the blind again and he fell asleep in my arms within a minute!

Has anyone else had their baby hate the dark and actually sleep better with a little light? I was of the mind that light over stimulated, it definitely did with ds1, so I've been obsessed with blacking out the bedrooms, especially isn't with London's long summer days. So weird!

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Newborn hates the dark?

How old is he now?
    It is very unusual and goes against all the sleep books we have read.

It could be a wonder week and he's very interested in the world around him.

However, I noticed when dd2 was little she didn't have a preference either way (I had no knowledge of blackouts with dd1 lol) and even now she will NOT go to sleep/gets super cranky if I put the cover on her stroller preferring to fall asleep in the light (FOMO).

But yes, the girls curtains make the rooms pitch black and they need it!
    Last edited by Little Miss Sunshine; 29-07-2016 at 06:30.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Is it the dark or the sense that he's going to be put down for a sleep? I ask because I've experienced the same thing with mine. Quiet and sleepy in the lounge but as soon as I walk into bedroom start screaming and fussing. Walk out and quiet again.

Can't recall how old they were when this started. I used to rock them in a rocking chair in their room for a while then transition to the cot. But I do remember this going on for a bit (sorry not what you probably want to hear).

Thanks
    Reviews
    If a little light is helping, then I don't see any problem with cracking a blind or even getting a little night light.
    Both my boys have slept with a night light that plays music from pretty much birth until about 3yrs old. My DS2 who is almost 5 still needs a tiny bit of light, so we have a Gro clock.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    He's 9 weeks LMS so there is a wonder week right now.

I think it's the light, last night at bedtime I left it cracked a tiny bit and he stayed calm through the whole process. It was laughable yesterday at naptime how I couldn't get him to sleep and then literally within seconds of me cracking the blind he looked at it and started to calmly close his eyes and fell asleep.

I think it's the window he prefers as well as last night I started with just the bedside light and he was still taking ages but not fussy, switched to cracking the blackout a little bit and he was easier, maybe he likes looking at the light shine around the window?

Not sure what we'll do in a couple of months when the clocks change and it starts getting dark at 3pm!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Also, I'm usually out for 3 of his 4 naps because I have to get ds1 out but also he falls asleep faster in the pram than at home so it means I'm not leaving ds1 unattended for ages so maybe he associates a little light with falling asleep?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Put a night light on, I kept room light on in the beginning, and with time, reduced the light.. and my ds2 was fine after first month.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    He's four months old now, we're sorted.