+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default How hard is it to study and mummy at the same time

I'm considering going back to finish my studies by completing my honours but we're also TTC as well, how hard does everyone find it to look after young ones and study at the same time ?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I only manage it by sending DS1 (almost 3) and DS2 (almost 1) to daycare a couple of days a week. I only started studying again once DS2 was over 6 months and sleeping through - before then, my sleep-deprived brain just couldn't have done it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've returned to studying with no help since DD was six months old.

I'm in my last semester, and it's bl00dy hard.

I'm glad I'm setting an example, but I simultaneously regret I didn't finish it before I had kids.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had DS who was 18months at the time in daycare 2 days a week.

Monday I worked all day and had study at night
    Tuesday study all day
    Wednesday worked all day and study at night
    Thursday worked all day

This was my schedule. It wasn't easy but I made it work to improve my career options. I was also a sole mumma aswell so my folks looked after DS at night when I was away

Thanks
    Reviews
    It's hard work but is doable. I have done 5 rounds of ivf had two baby's and 2 miscarriages finished off my bachelor's and am just starting my masters my dd2 is 11 months and dd1 is 4. I find it has kept me sane while being a sahm otherwise I think the boredom would have driven me nuts. Also it could take a while to conceive so don't put life on hold just in case 😀

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks guys, that really helps it's great to know there are other people who have done it and gotten through it

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'd start studying now. You never know how long your ttc journey will be, so don't delay something you want to do.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I don't see how you can do it unless you have childcare organized outside the home, or a quiet home study *maybe* with childcare organized at home. Though if kids know you are home, they will want you. I tried, and failed to study as a mum of two toddlers. The only option was staying up late into the night to get my 2-3 hour daily study in. So health suffered (I[m not up to that kind of workload) and dropping out was inevitable.

Everyone is different though and you may have more support and energy than I do! I tended to think, I only have a short window of fertility/raising young children and I can study whenever.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was in the middle of doing my honours when I had DS (now 5). It was bloody hard at times. Fortunately he was a good napper and I studied during that time, when he was 6 months he went into daycare a day a week and at 12 months a couple of days. Prepare for study to take longer. I had to go part time to cope.

I now have a five week old DD and am in the middle of a fulltime phd. I am on mat leave but will go back when she is 12 months and she will be in daycare a few days a week.

Its definitely possible but hard work. As others have said TTC can take a while so i woukdnt delay. Good luck with ttc and your course

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I am lucky I am able to do some study at work. It's been difficult at times and have asked for extensions on assignments a few times. I've been doing my course for for near on 18mths and finish in October. Can't wait 😁 Working with 3 kids and study has had it's moments that's for sure.