+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Shiftworking families

Hi i am a nurse & DP is a chef - so less than friendly hours. Just wondering how other shiftworking nurses have managed with their return to work & childcare arrangements.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I only have 1 child but my parents help out with the babysitting because I work night shift. I sleep when kiddo is at school pending on what I have to do during the day but always have a sleep in the arvo and kiddo will wake me at 6ish to cook dinner. Doesn't sound ideal but it works for us currently.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Myztiks#1Fan For This Useful Post:

Kazzy36  (28-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

My mum. Otherwise I couldn't of done it and would of had to quit to find something with more suitable hours.
    I'm fortunate I have that option, I appreciate many don't.
    Last edited by Little Miss Sunshine; 28-07-2016 at 18:46.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    We don't use Childcare as I only work night duty or weekends. If I do evening shift during the week I don't start until 4:30pm. We don't have family nearby. Could you consider an au pair or look at a registered carer?

Thanks
    Reviews
    My parents mind my girls when I'm on nights

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm not a nurse, but my job is shift work. At the moment we're managing by:
    1. DP has the kids when I'm at work (he runs his own business from home)
    2. I do 3 shifts a week
    3. I work evening shifts only atm. There's enough demand for staff that I can pick and choose.
    4. 1 of my shifts is on Saturday, so there are only 2 shifts where DP would otherwise be working.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My parents. If it wasn't for them I wouldn't be able to do the hours I do..

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm jealous that most of you have family to help you out. I have no one besides hubby and my mother in law, who takes care of my three kids 1 day per fortnight ....which she only ever has the 3 of them for a few hours due to them being at school. I'm very grateful of my mother in law, but she does make me feel really bad about not being a stay at home mum. She always compares me to how she raised her children. Hubby and i have to both work full time to live comfortable. I did work part time before getting this new job, so I'm feeling very guilty that i no longer spend as much time with my children as i used too.

I work full time - rotational shift work - and never the same days each week. I do get 3 month rosters, so I can plan things in advance.

I have my children in family daycare 3 days per fortnight and the rest of the days my children are in a centre. I'm very lucky that the local centre are working around my 3 monthly rosters rather than have them booked in each day of the week JUST INCASE, i need that day for the following week,

Its hard, but it works for us.....and that's all that matters

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm a nurse and DH (Now ex 😐) was a police officer then firefighter. When the kids were small I didn't work a lot...joined the casual pool and picked up the odd shift - enough to keep up my registration - working DHs days off. Hospital shift hours are not daycare friendly, shifts often start too early or finish too late. As they got older I worked a bit more. Not I'm a single Mumma I work in a private practice, mostly office hours. I don't have any family support for child care, so use OSHC. I only work part- time and that is plenty!

Thanks
    Reviews

DH works mon-fri 6am - 2.30pm, I work 5 shifts a fortnight, 3 afternoons a fortnight (1-9.30) so I could do the school and daycare run with the 3 kids in the morning, mr 6 goes to after school care and DH picks them all up. I also do a night shift on a Friday, DH looks after the kids so I can sleep, and the other shift is a weekend shift where he looks after the kids. It's a team effort, if he didn't care for the kids too we wouldn't manage it.