+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default still considering quitting

So I ended up submitting my very overdue essay & got a HD for it so very happy with the mark. For that unit, they are letting me to the exam under special consideration at the end of the next semester since there is no way I could have done it when it was on.

I am meant to be able to start the next unit, which is a particularly difficult one (I know because I started it last year but withdrew prior to the census date). But I really don't know that I am up for the challenge with my headspace at the moment. By the same token though, I recognise that it could be a good thing to have something to focus on.

So do I continue & hope for the best, defer for a while & hope that somehow the illness that has me beaten at the moment disappears even though it just seems to be getting worse, or give up with only 6 units to go & have literally nothing (well caring for DS but otherwise nothing) to do & no real hope for any different in the future. What would you do in similar circumstances, knowing that if you want to actually complete the degree, to use it & go further you need to get good marks, that just passing isn't sufficient in this discipline for the degree to be of any value?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to pointless1 For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (28-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'd defer. You sound like you really know your stuff and are actually quite passionate about what you're studying. Taking the pressure of study off for a while might be good for you - less to worry about. You don't necessarily need it to disappear entirely to continue, just have it back off and take its claws out a bit. Is there something else that you could focus your energies into if you defer? I know that goals are important and help you to keep going.

Could you complete a different unit that is not as intense this semester? I know that it may not be possible, but something to consider if you really do want to keep going with it. The achievement at the end will be amazing. You've had such hardship and you're still managing to kick ***.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Getting a HD, high 5, considering everything you've been going through of late and the crap your mum throws at you.

Question is if you defer will you actually go back ? Is it a risk your willing to take ?

You started this subject last year knowing what it is like so you've got a heads up already with what to expect.

Personally I'd keep going knowing that the end result isn't that far around the corner. Easier said then done I know but the finish line isn't that far away

Thanks
    Reviews
    Unfortunately all units I have left have this one horrid unit as a prerequisite so am stuck with having to do it. I think I've decided to start the unit & have a look at what the assessments are this time & go from there. Not going back if I defer is my main worry, plus I've had 3 organisations tell me to contact them when I'm done with the degree with a view to taking on some part-time peer support work when I'm ready to work (all organisations who I deal with currently) and at some point I really do need to think about a way to get some more income so I can actually afford to live. Either than or I'll do my usual stick my head in the sand & deal with it later crap

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sounds like a good plan 😊
    You've got lots of people in your corner by the sounds of things. Lots of people who believe in you.
    Maybe talk to the coordinator early on and see what you can organise in terms of flexibility and assistance where necessary.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I think you'd know my thoughts @pointless1 I think you should try and hang in there. Get in early with your tutor in terms of discussing extra support and just take it one day at a time and do what you come. When each assessment comes around see if you need to negotiate an extension to get you through.
    How wonderful that you are getting some peer support offers that's fantastic!
    And so awesome on the HD! Go you. We don't give them out lightly you know (well I don't anyway!)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pointless1 View Post
    Unfortunately all units I have left have this one horrid unit as a prerequisite so am stuck with having to do it. I think I've decided to start the unit & have a look at what the assessments are this time & go from there. Not going back if I defer is my main worry, plus I've had 3 organisations tell me to contact them when I'm done with the degree with a view to taking on some part-time peer support work when I'm ready to work (all organisations who I deal with currently) and at some point I really do need to think about a way to get some more income so I can actually afford to live. Either than or I'll do my usual stick my head in the sand & deal with it later crap
    Give it a go for sure

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Definitely go for it